Guitar Of The Month For February

Guitar of the Month for February  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was really tossed between the FireDroid H and the Spider. Because I could hear the Firedroid, it tipped it over the edge so it got my vote although I really do appreciate the creativity and execution of the Spider build.

Bill Blue... Non-pore filled woods and glossy finishes do not go together well... you lost me there...

BigDGuitars... I really like the dressed up Double cut flat top look.. Could have pore filled the Mahogany... Otherwise a nice build (Not a fan of gold hardware... but no need to complain about that as it's apersonal choice.)

Boggs... I just really don't like your little symetrical body shape. Looks weird and neck heavy. I'm sure the folks buying them are loving them. But it's really coarse on my eye.

Hufschmid... Now this is looking more like a GOTM. The Sapele is gorgeous and I like the take on the Gibson RD/Firebird shape.I gotta try out one of the Hannes bridges soon... looks comfy. And a kill switch for whipping out a cover of Jordan at a show... And guys look how classy the oil finish looks without pore filling. Satin finishes look great with no pore filling... The string retainer I'm not a big fan of... maybe something a bit more dainty like a Floyd rose retainer bar would have been a better choice cosmetically.

SwedishLuthier... MMMMM Metal Flake. Love it... and the fret markers are cool. Nice Modern-Retro look.. I like it.

Scatter Lee... Shiny or Satin... pick one. That's definitely a tweener finish, could be better. Hate the headstock, and hate the trussrod cover even more. And That strat jack just looks out of place. I DO like the body shape though and the pickguard works nice.

Wyrd... That's really cool.. I like it. Workmanship is good. I like your choices. Nice job.

Chile... NICE!!! The finish looks first class! you should be proud. Good job on this build. < My Pick based on concept and level of execution.

Bill: Had this been an oil rubbed finish or a grain filled hard-coat you would have likely gotten my vote. Looking at it inside might not show the grain so much but with the pictures you took, it is very noticeable. I love the tree pickups and the non traditional configuration of a Tele. I love pissing off Tele purists too.

Big D: Excellent looking guitar. It looks like it was picked off the shelf. The top and binding really look nice but to me the colors matched with the mahogany look a little off.

Boggs: I must have a bad case of dejavu because it seems like we have seen this one in the GOTM before. I could be wrong but I am too lazy to look. I like the graphics but the one thing that bugs me is the neck pickup. It does not match the same angle as the other two pickup. This may be intentional and if it is, it shouldn’t be. You will get no improvement in tone and it just looks off.

Hufschmid: the shape is cool, the craftsmanship is great but I just don’t care for the wood. The red switch throws it off for me. Maybe if it was a black switch it might blend in better. I love the bridge and would love to try one out. To me this is one of those guitars I might love if I had it in my hands.

Swedish: This is the one I voted for! I love the finish, I love the look and the craftsmanship is top of the line. This is the reason you are a three time winner. I would absolutely love to own this guitar. Take new pictures though. The grainy look to the black background makes the green look blurry. I’m guessing it is some sort of filter you applied to the picture.

Scatter: this was my close second. If it were not for the phallic headstock, I could have tossed my vote to this one. I like the fender jack. I think it works better than a face mounted Gibson jack.

Wyrd: No one can say this isn’t a great build but you lacked some attention to details when you put it together. The back edge of the bridge rests over the web cut outs. The toggle switch half mounts on the bevel. This looks sloppy like someone put it in the CNC machine incorrectly. It also looks like it lacks a complete grain filler.

Chile: Again, the craftsmanship is there but the body shape; I just don’t understand it. I know it has meaning to you so I guess that’s the sacrifice. You understand it but most people wont.

Chile: Again, the craftsmanship is there but the body shape; I just don’t understand it. I know it has meaning to you so I guess that’s the sacrifice. You understand it but most people wont.

You have to look at it upside down DSC_2221big-1.gif?t=1295988028

obviously not so much people knows the flag of my little island :D

I friend of mine asked this particular work...

ps. green flakes rules!

You have to look at it upside down DSC_2221big-1.gif?t=1295988028

obviously not so much people knows the flag of my little island :D

I friend of mine asked this particular work...

ps. green flakes rules!

Whoa! You would probably get a lot more votes if you showed that in your submission post.

I voted for it, regardless. Great work!

Edited by NotYou

Bill: Had this been an oil rubbed finish or a grain filled hard-coat you would have likely gotten my vote. Looking at it inside might not show the grain so much but with the pictures you took, it is very noticeable. I love the tree pickups and the non traditional configuration of a Tele. I love pissing off Tele purists too.

]

I think I tried to go for too many things at once. I wanted coarse SG jr, but also glossy candy wood. I actually like how it turned out (not bad for a first guitar) but I'll probably refinish at some point, oil or filled...

Edited by Bill Blue

# Bill Blue - Gordita : You can't go wrong by going classic... But you can't really wow anyone either. I have to agree with what was said above about the finish. An oil finish would have looked better. Still, a much better first guitar than most. Cheers,

# bigdguitars - LPDC : There's a fine line between classy and tacky. Replace that gold hardware with black or chrome and you'll definitely be on the right side!

# Boggs - RockBeach Kanji Mantis : Finish looks great, but I don't dig the body shape and Telecaster neck. Plus the headstock logo looks like a sticker.

# hufschmid - The Firedroid H : It doesn't do it for me either. Maybe, it's the wood, as said above... too much sapelli, or it could be that's it's just not my kind of guitar shape.

# SwedishLuthier - MorningStar "Italico" : I'm a sucker for a clever mix of modern and retro, and this is it! Love those fingerboard markers, as usual. My one complaint would be playing a guitar with strings so far from the body top.

# Scatter Lee - The Scatter Prototype : Which animal has a phalus like this? My dog! Sorry, but I immediately thought the same thing when I saw that headstock. Other than that, this guitar has a sort of 80's Squier Bullet vibe, which isn't a bad thing... kind of a "let's see what a kind of guitar I can build with these leftover parts" theme. I like it (except, of course, for that headstock!)

# Voted wyrd - Spider : I voted for this one. Even without the spiderweb, I think it's a very nice shape. I like the inlay, and the spiderweb effect is incredible in direct light (like in the first picture). The one stupid practical flaw I could think of was... what if you spill your milkshake on it? That would be a pain to clean up ! But then again, the same could be said of any hollow guitar.

# chile - moro : Ok, so I didn't get it the first time around. I thought the shape was akward and didn't know the white drawings represented anything (although I thought they looked cool even if they were abstract shapes). Now that you've explained it, I think the whole thing looks fantastic! Great job and a very close runner-up!

big blue - i think if you gave that a rub down with fine wire wool and wax i would love it. only thing to really mention is the neck ferrules. since you have chosen to not use a neck plate you could have put the ferrules in a different spot (after filling the screw holes in the warmoth neck)

BigD - that top is almost hypnotic! i like the grain matching in the 2 piece neck as well, looks really good on the back of the headstock. i dont like the strip of maple under the black binding... makes me think you should have gone for faux binding, a thinner top or a carve.

Boggs - i quite like your stuff now, but i think you need to work out a headstock design that goes with them.

hufschmid - i like it, the only slight criticism is the positioning of that little bit of wavy grain at the end of the fretboard. it throws of the shape a little for me. i also dont see the need for the string guide, i dont think a large wooden guide suits the style you have

swedish luthier - love it - voted for it. wouldnt change a think... well maybe a slightly darker sparkly green but thats it

scatter lee - for me this is in the same vein as swedes above, vintage but different. not sure about the carve near the strap button, seems like the shape would work better if that section flowed round with the rest. but generally it works. At first i looked at the neck and thought the fender style neck was sticking out of the body too far, but clearly thats because its not a fender style neck!

wyrd - its impressive work and a nice design that would work just as well without the holes. Only think i would mention is the little bit of fretboard past the nut, looks like it could foul the strings and a few minutes angling it down to the headstock face would have taken care of that. The guitar shape in the logo is a nice subtle touch

chile - you definitely should have post one of the pics the other way up - i didnt see it at all the first time

Bill Blue- great guitar but the pickup selection kind through me off. for some reason they are throwing me off but im sure it sounds great but since this contest is bassed on astetics.

BigD awsome finish i love the binding.

Boggs Your shape is growing on me another few guitars i am thinking about liking them.

Huffschmid you build some awsome guitars but they just arn't my style.

Swed i love it great guitar i like the vintage feel that it gives off with the big flake and surface mount pickups.

Scatter Lee thers is something about this guitar that just doesnt flow.

Wyrd very very cool

Chili man this thing is sweet it got my vote very well executed

My vote went to the Hufschmid. Of all the guitars, I want to pick up and play that one the most. The only details I don't especially care for (and have already been mentioned by others) are the red kill switch and the string retainer.

I might have went with Bill Blue's Gordita (I love Teles and padauk), but I would prefer a normal size body and possibly a rear-route for the controls. On the other hand, the finish doesn't bother me like it seems to have others!

There are many fine guitars this month that just aren't really my style. In particular, wyrd's Spider is a really interesting design and is well executed. I also dig chile's Moro; major props for execution there! I agree with the others: you might get more votes if you had that comparison pic in your GOTM post. :D

It has almost become redundant to say that there is truly some good builders out there...

Some comments:

Bill Blue: I followed the link to the build thread. I must say that it would have been much better to just oil the body. And what Wez said about the ferrules. Except from that, a clean and nice job to be proud of

BigD: Nice to see you back man. And as always, some impressive woodworking. Gold can sometimes be just too much, but on this one it is the right thing. The only thing that I might have changed ifs the flame maple being visible under the binding. That just doesn't look right.

Boggs: I prefer this body shape over your camelback. The carving(?) on the top also look great.

Hufscmid:Nice clean build. I might have used another color on the kill switch even though I understand the reason to use a red switch to make it really stand out on a very natural looking guitar.

Scatter Lee: Lover the color of the ash body. I would have liked to see it in real life as I think that it might look even better than in the pics. The shape and the build itself looks OK but the truss rod cover ups the result quite a bit.

Wyrd: Oh my! Great idea and it looks really cleanly executed. I don't know if I would have liked the body shape if it was a solid guitar as I think the horns are a bit thin, but hello, what an amazing guitar

Chile: Looking at the guitar upside down makes me wounder how I could miss the head shape and all... It really grew with the addition of the pic of the flag. Love the body shape but the head looks like it doesn't really below to the same guitar as the body in some weird way. I dunno whats needed to make them blend together better, but maybe some curves in some way.

My vote is for Wyrd and that amazing spider web guitar

thanks for the comments. guitar sounds great. after the move I had to build something to setup shop so this was the result.

the chile and spyder guitars are awesome. I love new concepts. I just don't have a creative mind like that.

I will see if I can get the explorer I am working on into this month. we shall see.