First Build - The "Nozcaster"

Norris

Just read and re-read the detailed description of the hatch fitting, @Norris .  

There's some clever thinking executed very well there :).  I very much like the tab idea.  The other thing that I admire is the combination of function and form - everywhere! For example, the inside of your chamber is as immaculate as the outside of the chamber!  I'm a bit shoddy with my stuff - the outside of mine would generally look fine, but the inside would be...er... 'rugged'. :lol:

Fantastic job and well worth the wait - even though I can't wait! ;)

8 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

For example, the inside of your chamber is as immaculate as the outside of the chamber! 

I am, of course, referring to the magnet-securing tabs.  I'm pleased to notice, on third reading of your binding method, the 'rugged' appearance of the pot holes and black paint further in. :lol:      That makes me feel, at least a little, less inadequate :D

Are you still on the evening course doing this, Norris? Clearly you've been given excellent guidance and support throughout this that have helped lift your already excellent approach. The question is, how many more are you going to end up making before the end of the year when you transfer your habit across to the dining table and shed? :lol:

....he says, having done routing in the shower "once".

On 25/02/2017 at 2:32 AM, StratsRdivine said:

Such nice attention to detail.  Smart move on pre-scribing / razor cutting the jackplate outline prior to milling it.  Looking forward to the contrast against that pearloid binding when you color the grain.  What colour you goin with? (combination of American and English) 

Quite a dark blue front & back - should be coming soon!

On 25/02/2017 at 7:57 AM, Andyjr1515 said:

I am, of course, referring to the magnet-securing tabs.  I'm pleased to notice, on third reading of your binding method, the 'rugged' appearance of the pot holes and black paint further in. :lol:      That makes me feel, at least a little, less inadequate :D

I cut them as neatly as I could, but there was a little bit of tearout even using the forstener bits. That's still on my todo list to tidy that up (plus you won't see it anyway (photo coming up...)

On 25/02/2017 at 8:52 AM, Prostheta said:

Are you still on the evening course doing this, Norris? Clearly you've been given excellent guidance and support throughout this that have helped lift your already excellent approach. The question is, how many more are you going to end up making before the end of the year when you transfer your habit across to the dining table and shed? :lol:

....he says, having done routing in the shower "once".

Yes I'm still doing the course and will continue to do so when I've completed this build. The course is run by Colin Keefe, who used to work at Patrick Eggle. I still have so much to learn and it's such a good supportive "club" environment. Some things are easier to do in my garage on the workmate though :D

Anyway, we have a minor update - the "first fix" of the internal plate. It would have looked a lot neater & less cramped if I could have made the blade switch work

20170226_135623_zpsx3rdkmk6.thumb.jpg.e8b35401b5324c566fbe0fd8b8bea38b.jpg

Next up is some more sanding of the top - I attacked it with a damp cloth & steam iron to remove a few battle scars it had picked up on the way to & fro. It raised the fibres quite well, so I might repeat it when I do the final pre-dye sanding. Then a final rub down on the back and I can get busy with the black grain filler. I'm getting excited now! :D

Edited by Norris
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Mr Natural said:

one of the neatest, cleanest first builds I have ever seen.even with the slight mishaps..  keep it up bro. 

and looking forward to sanding? keep that attitude man- keep that attitude 

agreed! very impressed with the quality I see in the pictures. very neat!

• Like 1

The headstock waterslide decal turned up from Rothko & Frost yesterday. It looks great, but you're not going to see it until the final "sexed up" glamour shots :D

Anyway, some grain filler is definitely going on the back tonight. It will be about the only chance I get before my next class, and I don't really want to be doing the filling there as it's too messy & then having to transport it back in the car.

Thanks for all the kind comments :)

Yay! I've done some colouring in!

Boy does that black grain filler stink. And it will get everywhere given half a chance! Luckily having done some test samples a few months ago I was prepared for the messy job and managed to keep the grain filler confined to the guitar in the main.

20170302_213449_zpsakw5z0oh.thumb.jpg.a41993b3bee20283e379f7840facc689.jpg

It's now going to have to sit there looking ugly for a few days until I have time to sand it back

Edited by Norris
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2017 at 9:01 AM, Norris said:

Anyway, some grain filler is definitely going on the back tonight. It will be about the only chance I get before my next class, and I don't really want to be doing the filling there as it's too messy & then having to transport it back in the car.

NOW I understand why you said it was going to be too messy to transport it back in the car! :lol:

• Like 1

On 03/03/2017 at 1:44 PM, Prostheta said:

Funny, I approach grain filling slightly differently by buffing it back just before it fully sets up. Easier to remove and zero danger of altering the wood through more sanding than is necessary.

I've never done it before. That could be a better way :)

It was difficult enough to handle it without getting everything covered. I just plonked it down as soon as I'd got it covered. I'm happy enough to spend a couple of hours to sand it carefully with 400 grit, so hopefully I won't get too much unwanted modification to the shape :D

Edited by Norris

Seeing as I've bumped this thread to the top again, I'll make a little appeal for some help with a compressor I've acquired. I'm sure a few people have experience with spray guns and the like, so I'll "advertise" in a slightly more popular area (11 views, no replies in a week :)

11 hours ago, Norris said:

Seeing as I've bumped this thread to the top again, I'll make a little appeal for some help with a compressor I've acquired. I'm sure a few people have experience with spray guns and the like, so I'll "advertise" in a slightly more popular area (11 views, no replies in a week :)

I was one of those 11 views......but I've never seen anything like that before.:blink:

SR

• Like 1

Next time I'll try the buffing technique as suggested by @Prostheta :D.

A couple of hours was not nearly enough - and I used 240 grit as the 400 clogged too quickly. It's now back down to the wood in most places and I can now drop back down to 400 grit. I'm not going to post any photos as it's not looking it's best right now :D. Plus I managed to put a couple of scratches in the top while applying the filler. It's going to take a few more hours of careful sanding but should look pretty darned good when I've done.

It's one of the few times when I've tried to do something in a hurry. I think the next time I do it I'll work a bit more slowly and try to work on smaller areas and get them much neater. I did kind of slap it on a bit, but was trying to avoid any of the filler going off too quickly, which means I'd have probably dragged it out of the grain again going over it..More time spent in careful application will mean a lot less time spent cleaning up afterwards! Having said that, I did need to get a bit of a shimmy on if I'm going to complete it by the end of April (target for final polished completion is the East Mids bass bash @Andyjr1515)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Norris said:

Next time I'll try the buffing technique as suggested by @Prostheta :D.

Test test test. The idea is to pack the grain wet, let it start to set up and then rag it off using coarse material like sacking or burlap. I'm sure there are videos on YouTube showing this since it's no kind of unique secret.

I figured I'd find one for you rather than simply expecting you to do the legwork. :lol:

• Like 1