Build #8: Offset-ish, surfy-ish...

pukko

I usually start building during summer holidays but this time it was a winter start I bought a swamp ash body blank at a guitar show in Stockholm, Neck and fretboard blanks were already in my possession:

1_2.jpg

No access to the band saw at my summer house, Japanese saw it is instead:

2_1.jpg
3_1.jpg

Routed the lines, shaped the headstock:

4_1.jpg

Fretboard gluing, clamps-r-us:

5_1.jpg

Well, there it is. No visible glue line:

6_1.jpg
7_1.jpg

Ordinary dot inlays this time around:

10_1.jpg

Shaping the curve between fretboard and headstock:

8_1.jpg

Starting the neck shaping with files, knives, spokeshave, scrapers...:

9_1.jpg
12_1.jpg
21_1.jpg
20_1.jpg

Headstock starting to look ok. The neck is also fretted now, forgot to take pics...:

14_1.jpg
13_1.jpg

Swamp ash body blank and drawing of the body shape:

15_1.jpg
16_1.jpg

Cutting the body with an electric jigsaw (no band saw, remember?) and then sanding it to shape with sanding drums on an electric drill:

17_1.jpg
22_1.jpg

Rounding the body edges:

23_1.jpg

Rasps, knives, scrapers etc again, Body contours!:

24_1.jpg
25_1.jpg
26_1.jpg

Made two pickguard designs:

27_1.jpg
28_1.jpg

Chose the larger one, made a few in different materials. The metallic one is sheet aluminium that i machine turned with a brass brush attached to a Dremel:

34_1.jpg
35_1.jpg

Clear nitro as a primer/pore filler:

29_1.jpg

Mary Kaye white nitro from a spray can:

30_1.jpg

A little masking..:

31_1.jpg

... and Sonic blue nitro spray can:

32_2.jpg

I really wasn´t going to do the little fiddly details on this one... Didn´t hold my promise. Logo time. Aluminium, flamed maple, red dye:

36_1.jpg
37_1.jpg
38_1.jpg
39_1.jpg

Dying the neck:

40_1.jpg

Many layers of Tru-Oil:

41_1.jpg

Tuners on, not much left now:

42_1.jpg

And done:

46_1.jpg
44_1.jpg
45_1.jpg
43_1.jpg
49_1.jpg
48_1.jpg
56_1.jpg
53_1.jpg
52.jpg
54_1.jpg

...and another little detail, a switch tip to match the body and pickguard:

57.jpg

• Like 4

Man, I was excited to see another Pukko build thread started and was looking forward to watching this come to life over the next few months.

And you already finished the dang thing! And like always it's beautiful.Even when there are no details, the details are amazing, and tasteful.

I love the logo.

Well done and good to see you again!

SR

Don't get me wrong, this is super cool. I love the color choices, everything comes together really well... however, the title got me more excited. I'd really like to see you do a true offset. Like in the jazzmaster, teisco, etc. style. Talkin' out-of-the-norm pickups, floating tailpiece tremolo, double-cut offset body. Challenge accepted?

Chris

Thank you all very much!

>> Scott

Sorry about the all-at-once approach, I just haven't been very active online at all lately. I think it is much more interesting to follow a build in progress too, I'll try better next time. Promise!

>>skyjerk

The logo wasn't going to be anything like this. I was actually planning on making a waterslide decal to kind of fit the overall 50's-60's vibe, but I couldn't come up with anything nice. It seems to be harder to design a logo for a six-in-line headstock... Then I tried to cut a logo out of aluminium (with the full name Luciferi which all my guitars have been called) but it looked a bit big and clumsy.

I then had the idea of cutting off the L from the rest. On my last build I inlayed a flame maple heart on the back of the headstock and I liked the 3D effect of it so I went that route again. I shaped a bit of flame maple into a circle and rounded the edges. After that I placed the L on top of the circle and scribed around it with a pencil, removed wood with a knife and Dremel until the L fit nicely. Dyed the maple red, oiled it (not the part where I was going to glue the L), and attached the L. 

If I was to do it all over I might actually inlay the L into a bigger piece of maple and then make the circle shape afterwards. That would allow me to use the router attachment for the Dremel instead of freehand working it all.

14 minutes ago, verhoevenc said:

Don't get me wrong, this is super cool. I love the color choices, everything comes together really well... however, the title got me more excited. I'd really like to see you do a true offset. Like in the jazzmaster, teisco, etc. style. Talkin' out-of-the-norm pickups, floating tailpiece tremolo, double-cut offset body. Challenge accepted?

Chris

Yeah, the surf thing maybe isn't really appliable to this. I was thinking 50's, 60's, California, chrome, big cars,... I was actually thinking about modifying the half tele bridge to also be able to use a Bigsby B5 that I have laying around. That way I can choose between stringthrough or trem. These pickups are Mojo pickups Mojotrons. Marc builds goldfoils, Charlie Christians etc too so I have been inspired by seeing those. I love the look of them! Seems to sound really cool too judging by the clips I've heard. Might use something like that in the future. 

On 30 november 2016 at 4:58 PM, Andyjr1515 said:

Such a wonderfully clean look on such a cool build.  Lovely :)

The logo is masterful, but the colour matched switch?  Utterly sublime. 

Full marks.  Top drawer.

Thank you very much!

On 30 november 2016 at 10:26 PM, Johnny Foreigner said:

I, for one, would love to see a breakdown on how you made the L for the logo.

Most of us are trying to master woodwork... metal work is another realm entirely.

Well, it went like this: 

I bought a sheet of 2 mm aluminium to make one of the (unused) pickguards. I took a scrap piece of that, drew a logo on it (full name, remember?) and proceeded to saw it out with an ordinary jigsaw (with a blade made for sáwing metal, many small teeth...). It didn't look too great so I just put it on a shelf and forgot about it. When I had this new idea for a logo I cut off the L with the saw and used various needle files to reshape it and to round off all the edges. After that, just ordinary wet sanding papers and metal polish paste applied with the Dremel and a buffing wheel that came with it. Done!