LGM Leviathan 6 string

Well, here it is, I need to do the final sanding and clean up on the board, fret it, route the lock nut bed, polish the headstock, and assemble :D

Leviathan6%203.jpg

More Pics:

http://pics.lgmguitars.com/pics/Leviathan6.jpg

http://pics.lgmguitars.com/pics/Leviathan6%202.jpg

ADMIN EDIT: LGM- this is your second warning about posting pics instead of links Let's get it cleaned up.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care much for the snakeskin... the pigmentation patterns should follow the scale patterns. It just looks like an interpretation of what snakeskin might look like, but it comes across as cartoony and fake-looking to my eye.

I never get tired of that body shape, though! :D

well, the fact that I've never seen a PURPLE snake kinda would make me think it's fake looking too, but it's what was wanted on this particular guitar so, gotta make the owner happy right :DB)

I agree. It just dont look real. And the inlay matches. Not a bad deal, and I realize pics are not reality, so it might look more appealing to me in person. However, my opinion should not influence you or the owner of this guitar. Its not mine. Here's a better shot of th inlay I found:

http://pics.lgmguitars.com/pics/Leviathan6%202.jpg

ADMIN EDIT- The above link can be found in LGM's first post at the top of this page.

Edited by litchfield

Well, I agree on the inlay, but at the risk of the intended person seeing this let me tell you a story.

3 years ago I had a young kid named Kyle, 9 years old come to me for guitar lessons. After about 5 months I ended up going south for about 3 months and had to quit teaching him. He was crushed. He ended up going to another teacher that I recommended to him.

Well, 3 years later he comes out to my shop for a visit. They had just found out I was back in town (as I never thought to call them :D ) He was amazed with the guitars out there. He has become a total monster on the guitar. He wanted a Leviathan so bad it hurt. So, I decided to call his mom and ask her if it would be ok if he came to work for me over the summer. She started crying saying how he looks up to me like no other and how when they left the shop he told her all he wants to do when he grows up is "be like Jeremy"

He was more excited than you can imagine when she told him the news.

He has been coming out to the shop every day from 2 until 6 this summer and has worked his ass off. At the very beginning I told him that I wanted him to design the color scheme and inlay for the 6 string guitar. It was a bit of a risk because I knew this would be the 6 string prototype but I wanted to make sure it was a guitar that HE would fall in love with.

On this guitar he has done ALL the body sanding including all the contours and bevels, he shaped both the back of the neck AND the fretboard radius. He designed the paint scheme and drew the inlay. He helped spray the color on the body and he also helped to cut the pieces for the inlay. He wet sanded the entire body with 2000 and buffed it out. Today he will finish assembling the guitar and be able to play it.

During this time he has also helped me prep many guitar bodies, he keeps the shop clean, and not only is he like a little brother to me, he is a great asset to the shop, I will truly miss him when he goes back to school.

This kid is talented in many ways, when I give him a job to do he does it and does it correctly.

He goes back to school next Thursday. Currently he believes that this guitar is sold to a buyer in Chicago. As it happens, I am going to Chicago at the end of september for vacation, or "to deliver it personally".

Unknown to him, Leviathan #2, the 6 string prototype will be given to him this weekend as a thank you for all his hard work.

The guitar isn't perfect, maybe the snakeskin and inlay isn't up to some of your standards, but it's pretty (insert expletive here) good for a 12 year olds first attempt.

I'm sure you can understand my reasoning for not saying anything about Kyle previous to this as he knows about project guitar as well. Fortunately he does not have internet at his home.

I don't feel I have to justify any work I do and it's looks of either professionalism or cartoonism to anyone, but am saying this based on the fact that there are simply times when it's "what the customer wants" so to speak and as guitar builders we do want to please the customer. At least I thought that was our goal.

For what it's worth, the inlay looks a lot better in person when you can see the engraving detail and now that it's fretted it looks even better again.

I'll post pics of the guitar and Kyle when I give it to him.

later.........

Looking at the number of posts I've done, you can see I don't say much around here. But I do look around a lot. Quite honestly, even without the background story, THAT guitar is amazing. And if it's a 12 year old kid that did that kind of finish and inlay work, more props to him. I doubt there are many 20-50 year old adults on this forum that could match it.

The colors remind me of late-80's guitars that looked otherworldly and had some real imagination behind the art. I like guitars with quilt and flame just as much as anyone, but sometimes it's cool to see an old-school shredding machine with a chromed-out Floyd, purple DiMarzios, a wicked inlay over the shredding-range frets, and an alien-snakeskin paint job. Even though Jackson and ESP still offer graphics, nothing from them looks as good as that Leviathan.

Bravo to you and your Young Apprentice. :D

And it will mean even more to him thatn even you will imagine, because he did it himself, with his imagination and his own hands. Plus the fact that his 'mentor' has the confidence and strength of character to see the potential in this little guy's personality. :D

Many in the world in general can learn a lesson or two from this, but most are blind.

May this bring you much joy and sense of satisfaction that you definitly have made a positive difference in a young boy's life!!!

Dragyn :DB)