Acrylic all the way!!!

My bro wants me to build him an acrylic body. Anything I should keep an eye on, or more accurately, how easy is it to screw up?

Any problems likely to arrise, you know that sort of thing.

Cheers dude. Nice axe by the way.

did you bought the body made or cut it yourself? acrylik needs to be tapped to get screws on it, if not and your not careful it will shatter, hapen to me a few times when I didn't had acces to taps. I plan on working on one, but it wont happen until about Feb next year, but I will make a mold and then mix my own acrylic, sheets tend to be incredibly expensive.

I'm with Eddie "Maiden 69", how did you do the body?

It sounds like you had it made since you paid $500 dollars for it. So does that mean someone else did your homework for you?!!

I hope you got an A+ on the project.

The designs not my cup of tea, but you really did a good job on it.

I give you an A+!

My bro wants me to build him an acrylic body.  Anything I should keep an eye on, or more accurately, how easy is it to screw up?

Any problems likely to arrise, you know that sort of thing.

Cheers dude.  Nice axe by the way.

Basically it depends on the shape, money you got, time and tools available. Screwing into is quite difficult. I think its because when you drill it heats up and you can see it go frosty, I think its called crystallisation. That makes it go extremely hard, when I was screwing in it made all weird noises like screeches also a couple of screws sheared off at the head ( nightmare to get out ). I found that use the closest drill bit you can find and if you have too much trouble use the next one up, I did that with the next bolts and it still grabed really well.

The thickest arcylic I could find was 38mm. I didn't allow for the switch selector so I ended up having the route more out and as a consequence there is a small rectangle on the back about 20mmx40mm that is less then 1mm from the outside edge ( no joke, its pretty crazy ). So just make sure your design is spot on, its expensive stuff you'll be playing with.

did you bought the body made or cut it yourself? acrylik needs to be tapped to get screws on it, if not and your not careful it will shatter, hapen to me a few times when I didn't had acces to taps. I plan on working on one, but it wont happen until about Feb next year, but I will make a mold and then mix my own acrylic, sheets tend to be incredibly expensive.

I didn't tap it but for the bridge ( schaller roller bridge, sits ont top - strings go through the back of it! ) I used this cutting fluid that kind of made the screws self tapping. Sheets are very expensive, I live in Australia and to get a sheet ( 1.5mx3m ) is around $2000 (dont quote me on prices ). I got it cut with computer driven router. I had to draw very precise drawings on CAD, especially of the neck joint as 1mm at the joint is 10-15mm at the top. But making a mould is a very good idea.

I hope you got an A+ on the project.

Thanks, me too B)

P.S ill take some more pics if you want to see an area close up or the back or what not!!!! :D

:D VERY COOL !! I would love to get some more info on how it was all done

and it there some way I can mix and make my own acrylic

and how do you make a mould.

'Thanks'

!!METAL MATT!!

:D VERY COOL !! I would love to get some more info on how it was all done

and it there some way I can mix and make my own acrylic

and how do you make a mould.

'Thanks'

!!METAL MATT!!

Mould in a nutshell:

Make a plug out of something easy to work with such as cardboard/plaster, wood, the stuff you use for flower arranging and plaster (I don't do flower arranging BTW). A plug is the shape that you want to finish with.

Gel coat and glass fibre the plug, in one or two (or more) pieces

Take out plug.

Mold for a solid object.

You can't cast acrylic as far as I'm aware but you could use casting resin in the mould. I've been thinking about using this and casting some razor wire in it. Might to to go for the blood on the sharp bit effect. I thought of doing this for a toilet seat too which kindof shows my metality B)

Mould in a nutshell
:D

Hey thanks for the info hotrock iam realy loving the idea of building a casting resin

guitar I think I may give it a try so could I get a litel more info from you like

what do mean by gel coat and glass fibre plug in one or two piecs and what type of

casting resin should I use. well basicly any info would realy help!!

Thanks

!!METAL MATT!! B)

Yes, more pics please! And two quick questions, if you don't mind - how much does it weigh, and how does it sound?

Im at tafe so I will add some pics when I get home!!

It weighs 3.5kg, which I guess is kind of heavy for a guitar, eg my ibanez weighs 2.5kg!

As for sound, brilliant.

The resonance is greater then the old wooden body. I think it has to do with the weight. My guitar teacher thinks it sounds way better then my old guitar, he also wants me to make him one!!!!!

Here are some pics!!

drawing5.jpg

Initial drawings.

torch.jpg

Guitar I started with.

head.jpg

logo (blackice).

finished.jpg

The finished product!

If you wanna see specific areas just ask and I'll get the camera out!

that was a school project? for high school or college? what class is that for? I NEED to take that class!!

Its a huge project for Design and Technology, its my final year of school! Basically you have to design something innovative or different. It can be anything eg. website, product, system or in my case a guitar B) !! Basically you have to make a folio aswell, mine was 50 A3 pages :D . The project is marked 60% folio 40% product!

Its a huge project for Design and Technology, its my final year of school! Basically you have to design something innovative or different. It can be anything eg. website, product, system or in my case a guitar B) !! Basically you have to make a folio aswell, mine was 50 A3 pages :D . The project is marked 60% folio 40% product!

coooool. might have to take that class! thanks