Concept Head "Vampyre"

ansil

yeah el84's is the plan right now. i was going to use a single ended el34 but got spanked in that department. via a bad deal. oh well

also i should note that i intend to put two sets of sockets in there so i can try different tubes wihtout having to rebias.

found some nifty plastic plugs to keep stuff from falling into the unused tube sockets.

that way i can bias both with their correct voltages and ma's and as long as i only have one set of tubes plugged in at a time it will work fine.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're doing this in Class A, with a pair of EL84's in push-pull config...

Might hit about 10 watts clean, 25 is my best guess for total power...

Great project...hope it works out well!! I'm desiging a custom gothic amp for someone as we speak as well... :D

Do you mean to tell me that you're building an artfully designed head, with custom faceplate, backlighting, knobs, and hours of hard work in design and building for a 25 watt amp?!!

Man, do you have some time on your hands!

In all seriousness, though, why so low wattage? Seems like a lot of work for what ends up being basically a practice amp!

PS I'm a bassist, so maybe these wattages mean different things to a guitarist.

the ad30r from orange uses a quad of el84's and although i can stand in front of it, i like my hearing. being 6'3" tall i would rather keep my amp on the floor cuase it resonates beter to me. [maybe thats just in my head.] but i can't hear it on the floor so i go with lower wattage and mike it. as i have a diy in ear monitoring system. so i don't go any more deaf. mE anGlesh Anit To gud Today

Put a piece of perspex behind the logo plate with a litle gap inbetween and seal it around all the egdes except for the bottom. At the bottom of it put a little tank and a tiny pump in and run a few pipes from the pump to the top of the air sandwich and pump some red ketchup "blood" so you can see it flowing in dribbles behind the logo. You can't get more hairy/cheesy/gothic than that.

Hell, you could give GWAR a ring, I'm sure they'd appreciate it :D

25 watts of full valve power is LOUD. Waaaayyyy to loud for at home, and easily loud enough to play small gigs in pubs or whatever. Just remeber to get twice the volume of a twenty watt amp, around 200watts is needed...

My 100-watt tube amp (Which I have down-tuned to around 80) will rarely see master volume level above 2.

He could gig easily with that amp, it's plenty useable at home at low volumes...Honestly, one of these mid-wattage amps is a great thing! Allows for a helluva lot more versatility than a 10 or a 15, same goes for a 50 or 100!

"In all seriousness, though, why so low wattage? Seems like a lot of work for what ends up being basically a practice amp!"

what do you mean basically a practice amp. in any live situation, except rehearsals, there should be a PA used...and the last time i checked, it didn't matter how many watts the amps were through a PA. plus, even at a rehearsal 25 watts, even solid state, is plenty enough to be heard.

25w solid state is not loud enough if your competing with drums!! i found that 1 out with my old band and had to get a new amp (Marshall AVT275)! a 25w tube would be ok but i mean thats plenty for most people... a 100w tube is stupidly loud and you will need a power break to get it to nearly a good volume for just general practice, and then your gonna have it turned down low.

25w of tube is suitable for just about everything. I think its a good choice. I dont know alot about electronics but i know enough that Valve = loud. And people look to much into wattage and think this means they will go to the same volume. (heheh but mine goes to 11)

BigT

:D

Well, I apologize for my ignorance. I need to upgrade my 30 W (solid state) bass amp because it isn't loud enough to compete undistorted with the drummer. Thanks for the tube wattage crash course.

I also agree about the drizzling blood thing, although I would just fill it with red water and use fish tank bubblers through it. A lot easier than a water pump system!

My 100w tube guitar amp, hella loud, cant turn it up past 2 without hurting my ears. My bass rig on the other hand is over 300 watts, and its not near loud enough! :D Bass amps usually need 4x's the wattage of a guitar amp to compete. But then you get into class a vs. class a/b vs. solid state vs. who freaking cares. What it all comes down to is that I think building your own amp head is way cool to the max. Everything looks awesome.

Sound is logorithmic. The difference in volume between say an 18 watt tube and a 50 watt tube is there but it isnt huge. The difference between a 50 watt and 100 watt tube amp is even more negligable. Solidstate is a different story.

unless somebody can elnlighten me, it shouldnt matter if the power came from a set of tubes or a handfull of transistors, so a solid stape suldnt be louder, the only difference is that tubes generally go into a sweeter overdrive and dont muck up the signal to much, so even though your technically distorting its still bearable for a clean sound, whereas with solid state, once it goes past that clipping limiot and starts to distort, i genrally sounds like crap.

also i dont like all this tubes are better solid state stuff, its too much of a hype, a good mosfet amp sounds damn near to an all tube amp and cheaper too (not too mention not as much deadly voltage). now of course buiulding a tube amop is mighty sick and fun, and owning that tube head youve been wanting since youve heard its name is also sick, but hyping that tubes are better then solid state is too much.

Okay, once again ignorant me, but what's Mosfet?

I understand you not knowing what it is... but instead of making yourself feel important by saying you are ignorant do a search on the net...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...q=define:MOSFET

:D

BTW Ansil, nice design I like the plexi idea, but I think if you use a different font like the diploma type or the one that BLS (Black Label Society) use will look more of date with the name. also a "cofin" shaped case would look great! And 25W will be good, I toyed around with the tube amp Idea and checked a place that somebody here ordered a kit from , but the high price was so ridiculous... I could have gotten a Carvin MTS that runs 50 - 100 half stack for the price of a 2X10 in pieces.

Edited by Maiden69

MOSFET Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor

A type of RF transistor often used in wireless microphone receivers.

Transistor. A type of field-effect transistor that functions when a controlling gate voltage is applied to the channel region across an oxide insulating material.

Great stuff, but what does it have to do with guitar amps? I don't want to feel special or show off my ignorance as if it were something to be proud of, I want to know what the heck a MOSFET amp is. Not a MOSFET transistor, specifically, but what that means in comparison to solid state and tube amps in terms of tone and volume. Sorry if maybe asking about guitar amps on a guitar site might mean that someone (god forbid) might have to explain something about guitars to me.

MOSFETs are electrically more similar to vacuum tube triodes than bipolar transistors - they also have similar overload characteristics and distortion modes to tubes, and they've been used, with varying success, to simulate the sound of traditional tube amps.

And just for the record, a 100 watt tube amp at the clipping point driving an 8 ohm speaker generates exactly the same amount of acoustic energy as a 100 watt solid state amp under the same conditions. The only reason tube amps sound any louder is because the distortion is not as objectionable, so you can push the amp further into clipping without the sound becoming unbearable. Now, try to play nice together. :D

basically its a type of transistor, thus it increases a signal, but unlike a normal transistor, its workings are controlled by voltage rather then current, which is much like a tube, and odlly the construction is related to the a tube (but much smaller), and in turn the MOSFET sounds remarkable like a tube, but it doesnt use a filamnent, is much smaller, and doesnt use extremely high voltage, but it is more linear then any tube.

edit: damn lovekraft you beat me to it :D

Edited by truerussian558

Now, try to play nice together. :D

My Bad, just that all this disscussion lately about doing search before asking is gooten to me. I hate to waste some peope times.

http://www.tubecad.com/index_files/page0020.htm

go to the explanation for MOSFET Amps, you can search almost anything online now aday, I used to go t oa library back in my high school and early college, www. is the portal and Google is the doorman, so give them a call .... B)

i have some mosfet irf820's on order. to expirament with a cathode follower on another amp.

20watt of tubepower is very loud!! zhe loudnewss comes more from your box than from your amp when You use amps between 15and75 watt when the box goes to 100watt or so then all of them should be near the same in loudness. For the tolex i would think it will look cool with a black-red-snakeskin like on the gibson voodoo series cases.

speedy

:D keep on rockin' B)

Edited by speedy

20watt of tubepower is very loud!! zhe loudnewss comes more from your box than from your amp when You use amps between 15and75 watt when the box goes to 100watt or so then all of them should be near the same in loudness. For the tolex i would think it will look cool with a black-red-snakeskin like on the gibson voodoo series cases.

speedy

:D keep on rockin' B)

Um...what??

20watt of tubepower is very loud!! zhe loudnewss comes more from your box than from your amp when You use amps between 15and75 watt when the box goes to 100watt or so then all of them should be near the same in loudness.

Are you trying to say that the speaker cabinet determines the acoustic output? Sorry, but thanks for playing! :D