My Next Project T Style

man,d,

i would love to see you use some templates on your neck pockets and pickup cavities.

or you could do like i do and only freehand routs as close to your lines as you are comfortable with,and clean up the rest with a good chisel.

clean routs would give you a much more professional product.

i speak from experience on this.i did my share of freehand routs.now i at least use a steel straightedge as a guide,clamped to the body

I'm just curious, it looks like you first layed out the design in pencil, then turned the body 180 degrees and redid the layout. How come? Funny how the holes for the strings ended up where you originally drew the neck pockets.

As for freehanding the pickup routs, meh, who cares? Having 'em a little rough gives it a little character. It certainly doesn't seem to hurt anyone if it's under a pickguard. But I do suppose we should all be striving for quality and perfection, so I won't say perfection is bad either.

Should be a nice axe with a good meaty tone.

Nice looking quilt there!

Any particular reason why you routed the basswood before glueing on the maple top? I'd understand doing any chambers or wiring runs first, but p'up routes and control chambers which are going to be routed in the maple too? Seems like you're going to be doing the same job twice...

No idea what type of hardware I will be using. Standard tele stuff.

quilted maple top came from a billet I got off ebay.

I thought that I was going to do a all basswood tele then I found this top as I was cleaning out my wood piles. so I had the pickups and neck pocket semi routed a couple of days ago and then decide to add the maple top. I was going to do the long drill thing if I had done a full basswood body, just decide to add the top last min.

There was a knot in the wood that I did not see on the one side so I flipped it and now its cut out.

Basswood has a great tone, good highs good lows, I have had some basswood guitars and loved themm, so I'd figure I would make one finally.

I glued the top last night and will clean it up later...

:D:DB) . looks great big d. That was your first time doing binding? well you did a great job doing it, what color you doing that quilted top? i cant wait to see this guitar finished. I have a couple of questions myself if you dont mind. I just bought some quilted and curly maple and wherever those black spots are on your body, its REALL rough. Is it supposed to be like that? Ive never dealt with raw curly and quilted maple before. Also, is that was its supposed to look like when you "sand back"? Thannks

Bound deep blue on quilt is one of my favorite looks for a "showy" tele. There's a couple great examples of it in Warmoth's gallery. I don't speak from experience, but that binding looks VERY clean.

Lately I've been really wanting to build a telecaster. It'd be a relatively uncomplicated first project, and I could use some tele tones as well.

Derek, wanna have a Blue Bound Tele runoff?

I can do one of mine in blue and bind it.

I can catch one up to where you're at in about 3-5 days.

I'm itching for a competition of any sort now that Carrie's dead, and you're in my ballpark now, buddy.

Home team advantage?

:DB):D

Drak would be honored. but here is the problem, I don't have the neck, nor do I have the hardware. Plus I can't finish it till spring... So as of right now I am done with it. I just touched up the biding and thats it.

If that spray thing works. I will let you know as of now this goes to the finish pile...