This Thing Is Amazing!

Kevan

I can't believe this. I was thinking of the exact same thing a few months ago and wondered if it would be possible. I had a close call with a jointer and it freaked me out so much that it got me thinking about a way to stop the blade immediately when it came into contact (or just before) with anything other than the piece being worked on. I'm glad someone did it.

I saw this on MIMF yesterday. Apparently this contraption runs an electrical current through the blade and can detect the change in current that human flesh would create. It uses some type of aluminum rod to stop the blade, but I don't know how it actually pulls the blade down. The bad part is that it ruins the blade and damages the break. I guess you have to ask yourself how much your fingers mean to you. :D

i had a situation with a 4" block of pine flying across the wood and shattering on the wall a while back. said i would never use a tablesaw again. to me its the most dangerous tool in the shop. i'll use a cut off, big bandsaw, shaper, router, planer all day, F a tablesaw man. nothing but asking to get hurt.

of the people i know that loose fingers 70%+ lost them on a tablesaw.

Edited by asm

I had the same situation with a piece of melamine I was cutting. If th blade binds or pinches, which with green sappy wood is easily done, it'll kisk back. Hence why you NEVER stand in the blade path. One should be aware of what a tool can do in positive and negative results, and be aware of how to avoid things like kickback. One way is not to use the fence on a crosscut.

On a similar note, a while back I was cutting some beautiful mahogany. The saw kicked, and I realized something. My fingers are WAY more inportant than a piece of wood. No matter how pretty it may be.

I showed my wife that (she's an apprentice carpenter) and she said she wouldn't want that on any of the tools she uses, because it might lead to complacency, so you wouldn't be as careful around tools that aren't equipped with a blade brake like this. Most injuries can be avoided with proper training and not getting careless.

I showed my wife that (she's an apprentice carpenter) and she said she wouldn't want that on any of the tools she uses, because it might lead to complacency, so you wouldn't be as careful around tools that aren't equipped with a blade brake like this.

suuure....

even a nick hurts,dude.i think it is silly to think someone would get complacent over an emergency feature which damages the blade.

scott's sig is right i guess :D

Most injuries can be avoided with proper training and not getting careless.

if you had been working with tools for years on a daily basis,as i have...you would realize that theseaccidents happen really quickly.it is SO hard to predict,that's why it's an accident.

for example...your buddy working behind you stumbles on his own feet and accidentally bumps you into your work...

or your cat(i know some of you have them in your work shop) rubs against your legs and startles you just enough to jerk and get bound up.

anyway...having a safety feature is always better than not having it.

safety gaurds for another example.how many people believe they don't need those if they are not "careless"