My First Real From Scratch Project

Cyclone

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About time for an update!!!

Looking great, one note! The recess for the volume & tone knobs is a bit too small. Thats the same size I used on my blue guitar and I wished I had used one a bit bigger. the knob will fit exactly on the edges and will not sink lower, I don't know what look you are going after but since they ended so close on mine it took away the recess look altogether. Just thought I should let you know of my experience.

Now don't go into the shadows again and keep us updated.

Everyone thanks for the kind words, advice and complements, they are very motivating.

with regard to the heel area can any one define what they mean by a smoother heel.

Maiden, what size bit did you use for the knob recesses on your blue guitar, by the way that turned out awsome. With regard to the stain you did on it, I guess that you stained black and sanded back. If that is the case how far back did you sand it? did you sand back to the extent that no more black could be visably seen or did you sand to a point where you could still see black in the grain?

On that one I wanted the grain to be really dark, so I left quite a bit on it. I used water based colortone, so if it was too dark I could "wash" some of the excess out. And once you do the blue, go a bit darker than you would want and do the same, that will give the top of the figure a nicer ligther tone making the perception of a 3D figure stand out even more.

As far as the router bit that Iused I really don't remember, I know that it was a bit bigger than the knobs, but after sealer and clear it turned out almost the same size, if I was doing it again, I would go with a bit at least 1/2" bigger if not more to have a look like the PRS do. And it also helps when sandidng, the sharp curve is a pain in the but to sand with out snading thru.

why don't you get clear epoxy and dye it with the stain, fill the grain, then sand as much as you can leavin the grain filled and dye the mahogany later. I seen it done the other way too, dye the mahogany, then fill the grain with epoxy, but you have to be very carefull and scrape it realy good. I think that this is the way the Cudbucket did on his guitar.

Maiden,

thanks for the advice. I had considered using epoxy but I wasnt sure about how to go about application, staining and the order of application. However I did find a wood filler that comes as a powder and is mixed with water. You mix it into a paste and apply with a rag by wiping it on. Once its dry you sand smooth, stain and clear. Thats what I did with the scrap piece of wood below. Please keep in mind that I didnt go through the trouble of doing a final wet sand and buff in addition to the fact that the clear is an off the shelf from Home Depot Polyurithane Simi-Gloss.

The first picture is one side of the scrap next to the stained fingerboard. The scrap was stained using an amber shade.

neckamber.jpg

The next picture is the other side, which I stained brown, lightly sanded back and then stained amber.

neckbrownamber.jpg

At this point I am unsure which sample I should go with for staining the mahogany portions of the guitar. So every one please feel free to comment. I am however leaning toward the brown amber combination because I want to get sort of a deasert burst look on the front.

Well its time for an update. After taking into consideration all coments made about the neck heel I decided that before I went any further I would revisit its shape. So earlier I carved some more of it away, below are a front and side view. Please feel free to comment but keep in mind that I am not quite finished. I still have a little more sanding to do. If it matters I like this much better than the way it was before.

neckheelrecarvefront.jpg

neckheelrecarveside.jpg

I have Just finished with the grain filler, sanding and I applied the first coats of stain to the whole guitar. I stained every thing brown to amplify the figure and maybe later tonight I will be able to sand back. Below are a couple of pics front and back. Please feel free to comment.

frontstainbrown.jpg

backstainbrown.jpg

well its update time. I have sanded everything back. I am not quite finished yet but here are some picts for your viewing pleasure.

sanded back pic of the front

sanded back pic of the back

sanded back and stained amber

I think that I may sand the front back some more so that the amber is more prevelant. all comments are welcome.

Edited by Cyclone

DAMN I say make the top the Same brown as the back :D that would look WAY better IMHO

!!METAL MATT!! :D

This is the first time that I try something like this so it is all trial and error for me at this point. I am trying to achieve a desert burst for the front and have the back retain the darkest shade of the front. I would like for the profile to be the darkest shade with a natural feaux binding and the back of the neck the darkest shade with the exception of the maple strip being the lightest shade and maybe burst the head stock. If any one knows how to achieve this I am oper for suggestion. thanks.

Everyone thanks for the complements. Its time for an update. I have sealed the front with sand and sealer. At this point I will take a liberty and throw some roses on myself and give myself a pat on the back cause damn this thing looks good. I still have to finish staining the rest of the guitar, sealing it, scuffing, spraying the polyurithane and wet sanding to a high mirror like finish, but at this point I am very pleased. Attached below is a pic. Please feel free to coment.

frontsandandseal1enhance.jpg

That looks damn good! I really like that color and the figure looks nice with it. I would say it's more of a dessert color than a desert color though. Chocolate mousse-ish,lol. :DB) I can't wait to see after some clear, maybe you already mentioned this, what color hardware are you planning on. Good luck with the rest and keep us posted with pics! :D Jason

Edit:nevermind I went back and found the bridge, that will look good.

Edited by jmrentis

Thanks everyone for the complements. As some of you know I am from Lafayette Louisiana and right now we are riding the storm out waiting for it to make land fall. Its kind of nerve racking just sitting around so I decided to apply some sand and sealer to the fret board and get it ready to fret tonight. If we are still here tomorrow I will be sure to post some pictures for your viewing pleasure.