My First Guitar - 8 String

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lighting everywhere in the house was causing a brutal glare and the can had the only good lighting available...

The extra low string is going to be a Low F#. I have to dremel out the hole in the tuner to accept the thicker gauge string.

I basically ripped off the Myung bass inlay. I saw the Yamaha Myung model at the local store down here and thought it was really cool looking. I wanted something neat on the fretboard and I wasn't too confident about doing inlays as this was my first, so I did the dot pattern. Ive got another guitar in the works now as well and I'm going to be doing something a little more complex.

I have a Reb Beach RB-100 (i think) that has the solid oil finish mahogany body with gold hardware. I dig the way it looks so I thought i'd go for the gold hardware on this.

Edited by Canuck Brian

The lighting everywhere in the house was causing a brutal glare and the can had the only good lighting available...

The extra low string is going to be a Low F#. I have to dremel out the hole in the tuner to accept the thicker gauge string.

I basically ripped off the Myung bass inlay. I saw the Yamaha Myung model at the local store down here and thought it was really cool looking. I wanted something neat on the fretboard and I wasn't too confident about doing inlays as this was my first, so I did the dot pattern. Ive got another guitar in the works now as well and I'm going to be doing something a little more complex.

It looks fantastic! Very nice work! I went back and read the previous posts and I appreciate your reasoning for the cutout at the bottom of the guitar. I find I'm most comfortable in the classical position and I appreciate your decision to follow function over form. That said, it fits the overall context of the guitar so well done!

Robert Irizarry

HEY!! My wave inlay B)

Looking good man :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Yet again more progress and definitely more pics. Here's a shot of the back and you can check out the rest of the pics in the links below the picture.

DSCN0494.jpg

Front Shot

Side / Front Shot

Pickup Route

Control Cavity

Inlay / Fretboard

The 9 volt will be mounted on the side of the control cavity. I have to continue sanding in a lot of places and clean up some uglyness, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with it. The wood shown isn't wet down at all and it's currently sanded to 180 grit.

Drool......

However from the cavity shot the inner recessed ring is not alighned with the outline. But who cares right, no one will see.

I unfortunately had the template slip. If you look in the upper left corner of that cavity, there's about a 2mm gouge where the router went a wee bit too far. A learning experience I guess.....

While I am happy on where the guitar has gone, there's a lot of things that I would definitely do differently.

• 5 weeks later...

ITS ABOUT TIME MAN!!!!!! It looks great man I, I LOVE THE INLAY I WOUNDER WHY :D

where do you even get an 8 string bridge?

Thats A Hipshot man they sell them things and at A great price

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=...ct_detail&p=177

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=19

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Hey guys! Thanks for the kind words. There's some nicks and dings in it all over the place from being moved between school, home, buses, cars, home shop and everything else though. I'm really happy how it turned out and I'm hoping that the next one isn't the recipient of said numerous dings and scratches.

I feel kinda dumb not posting stats on this thing though!

Scale - 25.5 (same as my Ibanezes)

Body - 1 solid piece mahogany 1 1/2 inches thick

Neck - solid purpleheart with carbon reinforcement rods

Pickup - EMG 45

Headstock cap - birdseye maple - i'll get a pic because it looks amazing

Fretboard - birdseye maple

Inlays - Paua Abalone pre cut dots

Nut - It's actually a Tusq acousitic bridge saddle...i couldn't find a nut big enough

Tuners - Grover mini locking tuners - i ditched the spezels because they were too heavy. The Grovers are really lightweight and totally rock solid.

Truss Cover - Spalted maple (soaked in CA)

I've also put recessed Dunlop straplocks on the guitar as well.

I've also got to say one of the best tools i've ever purchased for doing this was the Stew Mac String Spacing rule. It's SOO easy to use.

One question: Is the fretboard tapered at all? It looks like the nut has the same spacing as the bridge.

One question: Is the fretboard tapered at all? It looks like the nut has the same spacing as the bridge.

The base of the neck is 3.0 inches dead on and the neck tapers down to 2.174 i believe. The angle of the picture once again deceives all...... I could be totally wrong, but that figure pops out in my head. The guitar is at my parents place right now (i'm moving, no sense bringing it downtown to move again...) The string spacing is a little tighter than most guitars, but i've got smaller fingers than most people so the smaller spacing rocks.

Edited by Canuck Brian