There is a new virus out, it is titled Webcam, you can pick it up through email, an IM (MSN, AIM, etc...) and it goes through your computer and changes your web settings, thats why i was away for 2 weeks, if someone is trying to send it to you, DO NOT accept it, it will also send it to everyone on your address list

THIS VIRUS IS TARGETED AT MICROSOFT!!

I am now using Mozilla Firefox, and this virus will not change the settings on this browser

Just a heads up for yea

Curtis

Seriously, aren't all the new viruses targetting Windoze? Why mess with secure operating systems, when there's one out there with more security holes than a colander and a huge installed base to wreak havoc with? I try not to wish ill on anyone, but it would really be too bad if Mr Gates developed leprosy or something. :D

<---- Giggling while typing this on his trusty Macintosh  B)

:D

*Gently massages the heat vent on the side of iBook*

I always laugh when everyone at school complains about how trashy their computers are.

Stuff that works right is awesome, ain't it? :D

The only reason Microsoft is less secure is simply because there are more hackers working to exploit them than your lesser used software.  Why?  Just because they can inflict more damage since it's widely used.

Nah.. That is only partly the truth.. Windows is also badly designed. One gigantic system with everything packed into one system, where everything is dependent on every other patrs in the system. It is much more easy to keep on track and fix systems if the system is consisted of small parts which can interact with each other. When keeping things simple there is not so much room for mistakes.

Even if firefox and mozilla have some security issues they are probably not as serious as issues in IE. That is because IE is integrated to the core of the M$ Windows and ff is not. So holes in IE may let the hacker more easilly to take over the whole system

Linux is like a wigwam.

No Windows, no Gates

- Apache inside

=)

well,

i don't use Firefox.

I was thinking about installing it, but I decided not to.

Instead of using Firefox, I just use regular Mozilla instead.

I'm not sure what version..*checks*

Mozilla 1.6

I've heard there's a Mozilla 1.7, but i don't know if it's worth upgrading to.

B)

The reason why I haven't bothered to install Firefox is because just regular Mozilla looks better, and as you said, there's a big security hole in Firefox.

Firefox has a massive security hole in it at the moment. Not secure at all at all.

And yeah, there are no Linux viruses. Only ones for Windows.

--------------------

postCount++;

Cos the hole was only introduced in version 1. The hole hasn't been released for obvious reasons but it exists. Luckily, most people don't attack FireFox.

And in case anyone was doubting me, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/07/mozilla_flaws/

This post has been edited by feylya: Jan 27 2005, 02:45 PM

--------------------

postCount++;

Also, some of the features on the regular Mozilla don't seem to be present on Firefox.

Just btw, Firefox is still a Mozilla browser. Just a different type.

Anyway,

I might haev a look through some of the other browsers to see if they're worth using instead.

btw, does regular Mozilla have the same security hole?

If it does, maybe I would consider changing to another one.

Maybe Opera, but definitely not back to Internet Explorer,

lol. :D

I'm using Norton Systemworks and it seems to be holding its own.  Most people should realize that the cure only comes out after the disease, so keep your virus protection updated.

what virus protection would you suggest?

and with regards to this post....

well,

i don't use Firefox.

I was thinking about installing it, but I decided not to. 

: blink :

Instead of using Firefox, I just use regular Mozilla instead.

I'm not sure what version..*checks* 

: read

Mozilla 1.6

I've heard there's a Mozilla 1.7, but i don't know if it's worth upgrading to.

: blush

The reason why I haven't bothered to install Firefox is because just regular Mozilla looks better, and as you said, there's a big security hole in Firefox.

Firefox has a massive security hole in it at the moment. Not secure at all at all.

And yeah, there are no Linux viruses. Only ones for Windows.

--------------------

postCount++;

Cos the hole was only introduced in version 1. The hole hasn't been released for obvious reasons but it exists. Luckily, most people don't attack FireFox.

And in case anyone was doubting me, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/07/mozilla_flaws/

This post has been edited by feylya: Jan 27 2005, 02:45 PM

--------------------

postCount++;

Also, some of the features on the regular Mozilla don't seem to be present on Firefox.

Just btw, Firefox is still a Mozilla browser. Just a different type.

Anyway,

I might haev a look through some of the other browsers to see if they're worth using instead.

btw, does regular Mozilla have the same security hole?

If it does, maybe I would consider changing to another one.

Maybe Opera, but definitely not back to Internet Explorer,

lol. : lol :

would there be any virus protection programs or systems that can be integrated with your browser? :D

If so, which browsers.

and which anti-virus programs.

Thanks!

B)