strings

the third eye

what's your favourite  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, I'm using GHS "Boomers" right now, on my Strat. I'm always looking for new things.

Ernie Ball, D'Addario, and GHS are probably my favorites, not too attached to a brand.

Last year, I put a set of 20 some-odd dollar Elixers on my $150 Epi Les Paul. That was a mistake. They lasted for around 6 months, though, of light playing.

well i usually buy erinie ball super slinkys by the case, but i tried a set of gibson rock strings. they are really good they have 36 low end but have 11 high end and different gauges in between im not sure what they are i dont have the case any more but they have a nice sound! i also have a few packs of Gibson strings from the 50's the shop i go to gave them to me but there just for collection purposes.

Yeah, I'm using GHS "Boomers" right now, on my Strat. I'm always looking for new things.

Ernie Ball, D'Addario, and GHS are probably my favorites, not too attached to a brand.

Last year, I put a set of 20 some-odd dollar Elixers on my $150 Epi Les Paul. That was a mistake. They lasted for around 6 months, though, of light playing.

hahahaha i paid $25.00 for those crappy Elixer strings, they lasted me about a month, what a waste of money they are, I have went back to the trusted D'Addario's

$25 sounds expensive. Most strings here are around £6 a set, I got my first set of Elixir for £7 at an exhibition, and bought more sets at £10 each. I'm no virtuoso/speed machine, they feel ok to me for a long time and keep their tone, and I get more than a double the slifespan out of them so I figure I'm ahead! We all have different tastes, but if they don't feel right for you then of course you shouldn't use them.

These GHS strings are ok then? They're made up the road from here - never bought them cos they appeared too cheap.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
i'm using dean markleys at the moment but next time i change strings it's gonna be daddario for sure :ph34r:

well turns out the local music store i went to doesn't stock daddario cos they appearently had to many complaints about staying in tune :D

so i got EB super slinkys instead B)

i've never had a problem with the d'addarios going out of tune. you need to stretch the strings properly to avoid that with any string. interesting.....

I use D'Addario XL 11-49. But I have no experience of any other strings. I bought a pack of three sets of these strings because it was cheap, and I've had no problem with them so far, so I'm going to stick to them.

• 2 weeks later...
what gauges do you guys use?? I've got 9-42's on my guitar now but i'm thinking about picking up 9-46's. Does anyone here use those? Would it give me a little thicker tone down low?

Without doubt, yes. But to be honest, I think the sound is more balanced with 10-46.

well I use Rotosound 10-52 extra heavy bottoms last long and dirt cheap! :D (£4)

• 7 months later...

I just started using everly B52 Rockers, and I realy like them. Good, cheap and doesn't need tuning. I'll switch to them on all my guitars. I spent about 45$ on a set of elexir string (that's what the cost here in norway....9, and I don't like them at all. But I do like DR an d'addario.

The poll doesn't specify electric or acoustic, so I just went with what I play the most-- my good ol' dreadnought. I string it with Elixirs, and I do believe they are worth the price. To me they sound brighter right off the top, which is good because my guitar is normally a bit dark; it creates a more balanced sound.

They last forever (and retain their brightness, while my fingers normally kill regular strings in about a day... and it's not just a placebo effect based on their sales pitch)

They feel good to my fingers, especially for slurred phrases.

There SEEMS to be less string noise, but I'm not sure if that's because of the nanoweb or because of the way the strings themselves are wound.