Your Favrite Style Of Music

Daniel Sorbera

your favrite style of music  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metal without a single doubt...

However, right below my metal heroes are my other main influences like SRV , Joe Satriani, John Mayer and the guys from Powderfinger. So below the surface there is a lot of depth there, but metal is king to me :D

Jazz.

I like 'em all, and even though I'm a babe in the woods as far as playing jazz, when I listen to it (OK certain types of jazz) I can seem to understand it and it really kind of inspires me as a player to practice and improve both my chops and my improv skills.

I'm a sucker for nifty time signatures & key changes, and you get that with a lot of the kinds of music listed, but jazz just has that something different.

I cant choose any type of music. I have my roots in blues, and play a lot of classic rock. Most of my solos over classic rock songs are very bluesy.

I also play Metal too! :D . I play and listen to everything. Blues, classic rock, grunge, metal, punk(70's and 80's), psycaldelic, and humor.

no emo!! :D

(nulled vote)

Edited by AlGeeEater

I'll listen to absolutely everything (and you'll find everything in my CD's).

At the minute though I'm getting well into The Scratch Perverts (3 blokes, 6 decks and 3 mixers), just bought the JET album which isn't too bad and Tom Waits always goes down well when I'm drunk.

Everyone should make it their priority to expand their music tastes. I hear so many people saying "I don't like rap" or "I don't like heavy metal". Christ, they should try listening to some of the Morrocan claranet music I've got, nearly everyone says "That's crap" but I like it, so sod them.

Kaj :D

i couldnt possibly decide. in the last two days the music in my playlist has shifted through Converge, Infected Mushroom, New Found Glory and right now its Dashboard Confessional

ive also recentlly been getting into drum and bass and alot more electronic music type stuff. to choose one favorite style would be impossible im afraid

METAL + DEATH METAL = HORNS UP!!

some of what I like, take a look and see you may like it :D

slayer video

http://spencer.idjmg.com/www2/av/go.wax?nu...59048&speed=med

more Video's

http://www.americanrecordings.com/slayer/video.las#

Cryptopsy mp3

http://www.cryptopsy.net/lost/mp3s/Cryptopsy_WS_ColdHate.mp3

more mp3's hear

http://www.cryptopsy.net/lost/express/english.html

Other bands I like just to name a few-

Death

king dimond

torn flesh

Goredeath

Horde

Indwelling

Abominant

Beheaded

Bleeding Display

pantera

!!METAL MATT!! :D

"bloodline" is a good song...but that video sounds like it was recorded throgh a toilet paper tube.

the sound is much better on the cd.

Ya I know I saved the lower quality link so that every one would have a chance to see it hears the better one with a higher bandwidth the sound is better but still not the best.

http://spencer.idjmg.com/www2/av/go.wax?num=3043359048

Enjoy :D

i picked metal.

really i like a lot of different stuff though. i love prog (old and new). i used to be huge into punk and played in a crappy old school punk band for a while. i went through a blues phase where i listened to a ton of robert johnson and muddy waters. i still listen to jazz, but mostly fusion stuff like mahavishnu orchestra and al di meola. and i play (not well) and listen to classical guitar.

Bluuuuueees! Heh.

I don't know. As a decent guitarist and a serious guitar lover, it seems to me that blues guitar has more music in it, more warmth, tone, and emotion, than anything else I've ever heard. It seems far more about perfecting the guitar playing itself than any other music.

Although I like pretty much everything as MUSIC (including modern metal), in terms of GUITAR I can't STAND the solid-state or _____-rectified toneless distortion sounds so many modern rock and metal bands use. It just drives me crazy. I guess I just really like that blues guitarists can take it slow and make amazing music out of even just single notes, and I just can't stand thrashing around all over the guitar as fast as you can (including when blues guitarists do it, actually - nothing screws up a good blues solo more than trying to go to fast or do too much at once, with a FEW exceptions, like Slowhand :D ).

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but it's how a feel. I have a lot of respect for people coordinated enough to shred, I just personally am not a big fan of the way it sounds.

EDIT: Forgot to include this, but if you'll believe it, I'm only 19. Heh. Not quite the normal point of view, I know.

Edited by jnewman

. It seems far more about perfecting the guitar playing itself than any other music.

well,i have to SLIGHTLY disagree with you just a tiny bit.

i feel as if blues is more about a feeling than it is about perfect tecqnique,although stevie ray was great at both.

but since you phrased it like you did,i can only assume you have not heard a very wide range of metal.this is not meant as a slam,but just recently i have been introduced to the NEW metal scene(as opposed to the 80s thrash i was used to,such as exodus,slayer,etc.)

what i am getting at is that i find metal to be one of the genres most **** about getting the guitar playing perfect...i don't mean Korn either(obviously),or napalm death or any of that ilk.i mean like "at the gates","lamb of god",and a whole slew of others who REALLY impressed me today with the way they have moved metal forward.

i went for years thinking that metal was dying out,because i could never find any good new metal bands to listen to.

but now i have that sattellite radio thing(sirius)

and i tell you one thing...those bands that i heard today are VERY serious about perfect tecnique.

and i will tell you another thing....those bands i heard today are also much better than what was the best in my day.

especially "lamb of god"

that music is the advanced form of what i thought was advanced music when i was in the eightees

. It seems far more about perfecting the guitar playing itself than any other music.

well,i have to SLIGHTLY disagree with you just a tiny bit.

i feel as if blues is more about a feeling than it is about perfect tecqnique,although stevie ray was great at both.

but since you phrased it like you did,i can only assume you have not heard a very wide range of metal.this is not meant as a slam,but just recently i have been introduced to the NEW metal scene(as opposed to the 80s thrash i was used to,such as exodus,slayer,etc.)

what i am getting at is that i find metal to be one of the genres most **** about getting the guitar playing perfect...i don't mean Korn either(obviously),or napalm death or any of that ilk.i mean like "at the gates","lamb of god",and a whole slew of others who REALLY impressed me today with the way they have moved metal forward.

i went for years thinking that metal was dying out,because i could never find any good new metal bands to listen to.

but now i have that sattellite radio thing(sirius)

and i tell you one thing...those bands that i heard today are VERY serious about perfect tecnique.

and i will tell you another thing....those bands i heard today are also much better than what was the best in my day.

especially "lamb of god"

that music is the advanced form of what i thought was advanced music when i was in the eightees

Well, yeah, I don't kow... I maybe didn't quite reach what I was trying to say with all that. At the very least, I've never heard any genre in which so few notes can be strung together so musically. I guess it's just the warm, creamy, thick, smooth tones that you find a lot in blues that I'm really attracted to (Allman bros. especailly Live at the Fillmore East, a lot of Clapton's blues, BB King, Albert King live recordings (his studio sound was way different) things like that, although I've spent a fair amount of time listening to really old recordings that don't have a lot to do with tone, like Robert Johnson and Freddie King, which are nevertheless amazing music). I guess if there was one guitar sound in the history of the world I'd most like to be able to do, it's Duane on Live at the Fillmore East. Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to learn slide on a Strat with 9's for strings and about as low an action as you can get :D. Maybe that'll have to be my guitar after next, a good slide guitar (heavy wood, heavy strings high off the board), so I can learn how to play it.

On the topic of metal, there's an eighties metal band called Savatage that I really like :D. They spent a little bit of time in the early nineties working on something called the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and a lot of their music is metal with a full orchestral background - some of it's pretty nifty. They're a little silly, sometimes - for one thing, they have this deal where all they use are circular guitar picks. I may have to look into some of the new groups... let me know what some of your favorites are? (Besides "lamb of god," which I'll go ahead and look up).

Jimmy

EDIT: Oops, forgot to include one of my very favorite blues musicians, Taj Mahal (who never really played anything but a resonator, and it sounds incredible).

Edited by jnewman

Well i guess nows as good a time as any for my first post(been reading around heare for a while though). Any ways for many of the same reasons as jnewman the blues at this point in my life is my favorite genre. I also like all sorts of rock(mainly classic rock) and a lil bit o jazz but blues speaks to me the most. Like jnewman said its the fact that some of them(like bb and albert king)can say so much with so little. Of course there are guys like Buddy Guy E.C SRV and robert cray who can play some fast blues and still make it sound very good. And Jnewman if you think its weird that you like the blues so much at 19 well im only 17 and have been listening to the blues for about 2 years. I dont know i guess i just dont let the media tell me what kind of music i should and should not like.

"bloodline" is a good song...but that video sounds like it was recorded throgh a toilet paper tube.

the sound is much better on the cd.

Plus, seeing Jeff's jackson all covered in blood makes me cry :D

I of course voted for metal, everyone should check out Necrophagist http://www.necrophagist.de/Seiten/necrophagist_main.html

The guitar works is AMAZING.

BLS, that sounds so synthetic, midi like, is like getting Testament and taking the soul out of it. If they are realy playing that, (which I can't realy judge since I ain't no player) they are missing something or got the NS set up to the max and is killing the groove and making them sound machine like.

BLS, that sounds so synthetic, midi like, is like getting Testament and taking the soul out of it.  If they are realy playing that, (which I can't realy judge since I ain't no player) they are missing something or got the NS set up to the max and is killing the groove and making them sound machine like.

What do you mean? Muhammed Suicmez used a drum machine on their earlier albums.. but on Epitaph he found a drummer able to play his beats. I personally like his guitar tone.. very articulate.

Man I've been listening to them for a while and I have found there playing

to be a bit robotic at time's I do like them but there not my favorite, but once in awhile I like to shred along!

EDIT:> I do gota say I do love Onset Of Putrefaction it's way better then some of what I have heard

http://www.willowtip.com/mp3/necrophagist1.mp3

http://www.willowtip.com/mp3/necrophagist2.mp3

Good stuff :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

I'm so stunned - you guys are talking about highly technical death metal and nobody has mentioned Decapitated. These guys are seriously a scary bunch of technical players - they're all trained at some music school in Europe. Nobody has mentioned Cynic either!! Or Death!??? Have we forgotten Chuck's groundbreaking work in the metal scene?! *flailing arms wildly* :D

Anyways, my vote is metal...

Strapping Young Lad, Slayer, Decapitated, Criminey, Cynic, Goatwhore, Damageplan, Death, Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, Soilwork, In Flames.....