My first relic strat project

Guest AlexVDL

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a hardcore strat fan, but i think you guys are all crazy... looks like those things fell off a cliff :D i'd never buy something that "relic"-y...

and 10 grand!!!!!! are you crazy!!!! i'll take your guitar and smash it against my fence a couple times for 25$ B)

lol seriously... i know just cause something is old doesn't mean it's junk but it also means that it's probably not far off IMHO

lol.. same here.. I think what your doing is neat.. but I don't ever think I'd want to build one.. lol... or destroy one should I say.,.. but then again.. Fender puts these relic guitars out all the time so I guess someone is buying them... But as far as I can tell you did a great job making it look worn out.. Good Job.. I think you could also put the bridge outside and let it rain on it a couple of times .. that should do it.. just an idea though..

hey it looks pretty good alex!

i used to work in a very very custom cabinet making shop, and we made "antique" cabinets all the time! it a real art to do it right . one thing that we used that worked really well was a thin linked chain the had some keys on the end of it and we just swung it onto the table tops or sides it pur nice dents in it. also i wouldnt do it on a guitar but it could be fun! you take the project out into a feild a shoot it with a shot gun!lol :D seriously! it gives the project a worm hole look! but i wouldnt for a guitar.

i have a 77 mustang with a neck that is perfectly reliced naturaly, but the body has been refinished in the baby blue that they used, maybe i will relic that thing soon! i never play it and was considering putting humbuckers in it so maybe i will do the pickups and relic the body!

Dave, could you email me that step by step?? music@phalanxmills.com

I heard PCB etchant would work to take chrome off, then I think the rusty nails and water in a jar for a week or so would work great.

To all you guys freaking out about what he's doin, he said it was a cheapo from ebay, and honestly, he's not devaluing it in any way, most likley he's increasing the value, because people will pay some cash for something that looks played and "broken in." I just finished my telecaster, and did a little relicing on it. Not a beat up look, but the look of a guitar thats 30 some years old, that was taken care of, but has just succumb to being used. I'll post pictures later.

To each his own... give me a guitar with some milage on it anyday, great guitars are made to be played, not hung on the wall. =)

I'm a poor student, so I haven't got that much money. Just stay away from alcohol and never go out in the weekends, then you will save some money :D

Yes, I can stay at home in the weekends... but I can't live without my alcohol!

Got bad news, they found a 28% of blood in my alcohol B)

By the way, I have a guitar body that is an exact copy of a strato, and has the sunburst finish on it. Since it's already a bit chipped, maybe I can relic it... And the pickguard and pick-up covers already look vintaged :D.

ALEX YOU IDIOT!!! THAT WAS A BRAND NEW GUITAR!!!! ERRRRRRRGHHH!!!!

i wish i had money like you...

Just wanted to say:

Why am I an idiot???? Some people paint their guitars shokking pink or put spycho splatter and that gallactic puke stuff all over their guitars! What's so different between that or this relic?

I didn't cut out whole pieces of wood or something, so the sound stays the same. It's just a kind of finish. A very well worn finish doesn't mean the guitar isn't playable or it doesn't sound good anymore :D

you think that you can beat the crap out of a guitar and the tone will stay the same? are you out of your mind?!?! B)

as a matter of fact it will NOT affect the tone.alex is right and it is just a cheap strat copy which he is adding his own flavor to.it is no worse than a burn finish.and you might want to take a look at some of the guitars he's built from scratch before you critisize his work.different strokes man.this isn't the esp forum.you might want to take a look at the rules of the forum also....just words to the wise :D