I Need A Shred Machine...

Alarung

Hey guys! :D

I've come to a point where my fingers itch for a 24-fret, Floyded (Or Kahlered), overwound humbuckers, pointy headed axe of doom...

And a headache-inducing stompbox or two...

What's the best Shred\Metal guitar I can get for the price, and some effects that some of you have experience with?

Go crazy!

Thanks,

Hey guys! :D

I've come to a point where my fingers itch for a 24-fret, Floyded (Or Kahlered), overwound humbuckers, pointy headed axe of doom...

And a headache-inducing stompbox or two...

What's the best Shred\Metal guitar I can get for the price, and some effects that some of you have experience with?

Go crazy!

Thanks,

Eeee i can see this forum message turning nasty... so many opinions lol! :D

To be honest i think its all a personal opinion.. walk into a shop.. stomp on a few boxes with an axe in your hand and see how it sounds?

I have 3 setups currently for my BC Rich KKV... each i feel make a really nice sound whilst making it brillaint for metal stuff (especially Maiden, Pantera and slayer)

I either use straight guitar > to AMP.. as longn as your amp has a nice distortion channel you wil be well away

Or

When playing live i use a Boss MT-2 Metal pedal infront of the amp, this gives my guitar a real "crunch" when playing...

And finally

In the studio (where i regluary live B) ) i use my Zoom 3030...

All 3 of those setups vary with amp and guitar used but all provide nice tones... my BC rich KKV was also resonably priced and has 2 Humbucks (bdsm's?) and handles drop tuning easily....

Experiment and enjoy :D

personally for stomp boxes id go with a DS-1 and probablly a phaser if you;re after some of that EVHsound. tho youd probablly be better investing in a good amp for a decent distorion sound

You never actually mentioned what "the price" was you were working to :D

If your just looking around for ideas, then you cant go wrong starting your search at:

http://www.jacksonguitars.com (pretty well anything? lol)

http://www.espguitars.com (especially the M and H series)

and B.C. Rich as SlainAngel mentioned would make a good pitstop.

If your willing to spend a decent amount of money on a guitar, make sure you check out the likes of Warmoth and USA Custom Guitars and considering buying stuff from them and assembling your own guitar. Its not like building one, but it still entails a bit of self satisfaction, and you know your getting quality and its all custom from the outset.

Seriously, I know a lot of people here are dead set builders, and I respect that a LOT, but I still hope you yanks appreciate just how great you have it having companies like Warmoth and USACG operating locally :D Sure its great they offer their products internationally and still represent remarkable value when your comparing to the price guitars are here in Australia, but the shipping and all the other fees are a real pain B)

Still, I will use this oppurtunity to pimp my order from warmoth again:

http://www.funkyshack.com/crap/guitars/koadaddy/index.htm

Isn't she sexy :D I doub't I could get that sort of quality of guitar and parts for $1500AU here, let alone the fact its exactly the parts I want, chosen by me.

Good luck, keep us up to date on your search!

- Dan

When playing live i use a Boss MT-2 Metal pedal infront of the amp, this gives my guitar a real "crunch" when playing...

I have a Daneletro Black Paisley Liquid Metal stompbox, but it hasen't been getting much use, as I've been playing mostly blues lately. It can scream pretty good. Anyone know much about it?

You never actually mentioned what "the price" was you were working to :D

I left that out on purpose, hoping I'd get lot's of links to crazy stuff, like your KoaDaddy. :D

My current amp is a Fender Sidekick Switcher, a solidstate from the 80's. It's got a pretty nice crunch channel.

Well, I have one of these:

SL3 Soloist

just sitting here waiting for a guitar player to take home and whip.....the one I have is Amber Burst. PM if you're interested.

Stomp boxes.....you'll have to talk to one of the many guitar players here for that. I'm just a simple bass player that uses one pedal......a TU-2 tuner. My Ampeg does the talking from there :D

i personally find boss distortion pedals to downright stink. They're so thin sounding imo. I don't know what your style is or how much you're willing to spend so here we go. This is all my opinion with amps and effects. I haven't tried too many guitars since I am currently not shopping for one :D

If you're wanting a practise amp, I find the brand X to be pretty nice. Get a metal zone or DS-1 off ebay. The reason why i mention these two is because I've seen them on ebay going very cheap even though I find boss distortions to lack. If you wanna buy a pedal new and want the early thrash kinda metal I'd go for a digitech death metal. If you want really thick metal, go with a Rat. If you want both, go with a digitech metal master, or the line 6 uber metal.

If you're wanting a rig for stage and power and all, and on a budget I'd say go for a Line 6, preferably the spyder II. Affordable and covers all the bases and no need for pedals but you'll need to dish out extra for the footswitches. The only problem I find with the spyder is that 1. it's not my style of distortion and 2. the knobs are way too sensitive.

If you've got a lot of money to spend or are thinking of putting a lot of money towards a rig I would get a mesa boogie amp, of course it's expensive. The F-series imo is terrible, so go with a rectifier. If you want the thrash metal I'd go for a marshall. (Puts on kevlar), I am not a marshall fan and don't really like them at all so I can't recommend which kind.

Just my 2 cents.

-Jamie

you could just get a nice amp and you could forget all the effects. I havent played one but I have heard that these are deadly. That has about all the distortion you can handle! Thers also a version with DSP if you want all the effects too. Plus it's all tube :D Those will run you about $600-$700 USD

For A guitar I would just build my own... I think I would steal matts impaler design :D I think thats the coolest guitar I've ever seen.

Edited by Godin SD

this is the perfect shred guitar IMO. i have a guitar that is very close to this model, and it is simply amazing.

only thing i would change would be swapping out the jt-6 trem for an original floyd. (no mods needed)

for an amp: anything high gain and tube. i'm not an effects guy. something like a peavey 5150 or xxx (or if you could find an old ultra) would work perfect.

the digitech metal master is a cheap alternative for recording straight to the board though. its cabinet modeling is much better than its sound through an amp.

you could just get a nice amp and you could forget all the effects.  I havent played one but I have heard that these are deadly.  That has about all the distortion you can handle!  Thers also a version with DSP if you want all the effects too.  Plus it's all tube :D  Those will run you about $600-$700 USD

For A guitar I would just build my own...  I think I would steal matts impaler design :D  I think thats the coolest guitar I've ever seen.

Thay are amazing amps!! I love them, they sound soo good! GET IT NOW!! GET IT, you know you want to!

what type of music will you be playin?

Slayer heavy??

or The Darkness heavy?? (I almost peed myself from laughing so hard, lol)

I would look at:

Flying V

Warlock

Beast

Explorer

Destroyer

Razor

For effects, I am currently using my amp, only because i am in the midst of designing my pedal board, then i have to buy pedals, LOL

My Favorite Setup

Another

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/415/

http://guitargeek.com/gearview/62/

that can start you off, i had a hard time searchin guitar geek

Curtis