New Guitar Design

Hey.

This was the result of a doodle on a piece of paper in one of my recent *boring* lectures. I'm currently making a EBMM petrucci replica (not cous im a plagarist, but i cant afford that amount of money.), but decided to plan my summer project. I'm planning on making two of these as stage guitars.

My favourite guitars are a PRS Custom 24 (friend's dad's :D), and the EBMM petrucci. So, i decided to combine them! I'm not sure who's the PRS plan on here belongs to, but i used it as a kind of starting point. Hope the owner doesn't mind :s

Anyway. let me know what you think.

5704ea4e.jpg

Oh yeah, not planning on keeping the birds on the fretboard. just the only pic of a 25" scale fretboard i could find (too lazy to make my own B))

:D

Im not quite understanding what you're both meaning. Do you mean pull the cutaway closer to the body and make the lower horn a bit longer? I was thinking it looked a bit... 'weedy', but didn't know how far i could go without it looking even sillier! Thanks for the comments. I'll have a bit of a redesign and post that up when its done :D

nope, just like you did on the top waist line, that you elongated it, do the same for the lower, but keep the point were the cutaway meets the neck the same.

It looks fine as is, the only thing that I see is that the lower waist curve looks too sharp and don't flow as the other side does. It detracts from the overall flowing lines like the PRS and the Petrucci that you are trying to emulate.

Heres an idea. Visualize the neck not being there at all. Move the arc of the lower horn a little bit towards the headstock and then move the upper horn arc a little towards the butt of the guitar until they both meet up and make a continuous flowing line across the neck.

Yeah that's what i thought you meant. I'll post the design as soon as i get home. Havent got any way of transfering it onto the net at the moment (its on another PC). Thanks again for your help guys.

oh yeah. I've pulled the horn forward like you have in your picture maiden, but not quite as far. Then pulled the inside edge of the cutaway back. it actually curves back beyond the level of the 24th fret and looks amazin :D Nice high fret access me thinks B)

I think the first pic was better because the lower horn had the right length.  I just thought it had too much hook. Keep the length of the horn the same but take some of the curl out of it.  Large radius.

My thoughts exactly... the large difference in horn size is one of the cooler elements of that original drawing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry i haven't been able to post the updated design. This is the new one, i've prototyped a neck joint for it with some nasty cheap pine, and it is rather strong. basically, its like a glued in AANJ, but the tenon goes into the body past the lower horn attachment by about 5".

here's the design, i'll post the pics of the neck joint soon.

myguitardesignfrontcarveroute2.jpg

I love the look of the first one with the small lower horn, and it would be my first choice. I messed around with that picture and came up with this, I only changed the top horn - it lines up with the curve on the bottom one, and it also is a little different on the end, more like the bottom one. I kinda like this:

petruccireedsmith.jpg

I like that too :D

But, i like my top cutaway attaching further up the neck! :D

So i think i'll leave it as it is. might kind of curl the top horn into the fretboard at the end a bit though. might look a bit nicer.

Oh yeah.

Maple on basswood? or maple on mahogany?

That, is the question. Any thoughts?

maple on basswood is what i am using on my secret guitar (shhh, no one can hear about it yet!!)

I am staining my maple front black, sand back and then a red, wih a black basswood back and maple neck

If you want a LP kinda tone, go with mahog with maple

Curtis

Well i'm kind of after a mix of PRS and a normal basswood guitar (think ibanez JPM) tone. Hard to explain! might go and try a anderson basswood/maple thing somewhere. If anyone has any sound clips of such a guitar, thye would be greatly recieved!

Does anyone know anywhere that will sell 1 1/2" thick basswood body blanks in britain? Craft supplies have lime ones (apparently, but never have any in stock), but they are 2" thick and i dont have the facilities to thickness them reliably!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

First design is better. Keep the lower horn the same and move the point where the upper horn meets the body back a fret. Flow the curve into the lower horn ( if the neck were not there it would be one continuous curve) and OH YEAH!! Would look alot like a yawning hippo. Cool. :D

Hee hee, I'm trying as much as possible to stay away from the two cutaways flowing together! Just a personal thing that i'm not too keen about on PRS's

I've printed out the final designs for the guitar and will make some templates soon after my exams have finished (kind of taking over my life at the mo). Will post pics ASAP.

• 1 year later...

Ok. I finished off this design and started on a few prototypes with some spare wood i had.

Theres two of them, One with a carved top (not to the depth i would have liked due to the thickness of the maple top) and one with a flat top and a bevel. I was just trying out different ways of doing things. One has a maple neck and the other a wenge neck, both with nice cocobolo fretboards. Neither are anywhere near finished and have marks all over them, but hey. thought i'd let you guys see what i've been doing all weekend. first time since like june i've had chance to do anything!

Guitar #4

Top of the guitar with neck

Whole thing

Neck/fretboard

Body again

Back with numerous pen marks :D

Guitar #5

Body

Whole thing

Fretboard

Back of body

Back of neck (this one is carved roughly, other isnt)

Thanks

Sam