Ebay Physco

hi i sold the following neck to some guy. neck

now hes complaining herese the email he sent me: Adam,

As I see it, you've now violated three cherished brotherhoods. eBayers, with your total lack of discloser. Guitar players, & the human race. If you don't know what a mis-repaired fretboard looks like, don't sell that item. This poor thing has got a non-original cut to the headstock, a truss rod that was so badly overtightened that it split the fretboard from the neck slab & shattered the heel !!! You called that a "chip", As Dr Phill would say, "What were you thinkin' " Are you really that ill-informed? It's pretty obvious why you didn't want to meet. You've put us here, now find us a solution... Oh...FYI...20 frets...

For what it's worth, I await your response, Sincerely, Geoffrey.

the neck with shipping was $34

is it just me or is this guy insane?

Sometimes it's best to use firewood for firewood instead of selling it on Ebay. Now the guy is going to leave you negative feedback. You didn't mention the crack in the fingerboard in your listing, so that was a bad thing.

Lesson learned...is bad feedback, and reduced Eaby reputation worth $34?

Just looking at the picture it's clear that the neck has been around the block. Unfortunately the images are really bad and there is no close up of the defects. This should have been disclosed up front.

-Doug

i honestly have no idea what he is talking about in regards to the frettboard being cracked. it wasnt when i shipped it.

Sometimes it's best to use firewood for firewood instead of selling it on Ebay. Now the guy is going to leave you negative feedback. You didn't mention the crack in the fingerboard in your listing, so that was a bad thing.

Lesson learned...is bad feedback, and reduced Eaby reputation worth $34?

Just looking at the picture it's clear that the neck has been around the block. Unfortunately the images are really bad and there is no close up of the defects. This should have been disclosed up front.

-Doug

ask him if he wants a refund and tell him it happened shipping. if he rejects that you can go through some business to get the negative feedback taken off (ask scott rosenberg or bluespresence), or you can possibly email ebay telling them that you offered a full refund in return for the neck, and they may take the negative feedback off.

-jamie

thanks. if it got broken durring shipping can i get reimbursed. the neck was in ok shape when ishipped as indicated in the auction. personally i think this guy is just being a pain in the ass. hes mad he had to pay shipping and i wouldnt hand deliver it. heres another email he sent : That seems somewhat odd. If it's about the couple of ???'s you'll make on the shipping, I don't care, I'll add in whatever. It's just a bunch quicker, less work for you, and more personal then this digital cloak that we as a society are being reduced to. Kinda disgusting, don't you think? If what you have isn't worth the $20.& the $14. shipping, just say so. Things don't seem to add up...You listed your location, Did you ever think that , your location might be a reason for someone to bid? Look up Strings & Things in your eBat stores. Tim lives just around the corner from the college & we've bought & sold & traded lots of items. I've never even bought something from him by way of the Bay, but it's how we met. Thanks, Geoff

ask him if he wants a refund and tell him it happened shipping. if he rejects that you can go through some business to get the negative feedback taken off (ask scott rosenberg or bluespresence), or you can possibly email ebay telling them that you offered a full refund in return for the neck, and they may take the negative feedback off.

-jamie

Did you photograph the neck before shipping it? If not, good luck persuading anyone the damage was incured in transit.

I can understand why he's pissed - I'd be pretty irritated if I had to pay $14 on a $20 neck, how the hell did you ship it, limousine!?

well first of all, the buyer sounds pretty dramatic (reading the second email) and that's just the kind of person that can make your life miserable.

Second of all, i would never have touched that neck because all your pictures were out of focus.. That's a big gamble on your part. You can't prove by your ad that the neck was in good condition.

Your only option really is to offer him a refund. It's just 34 bucks.. But demand the neck back if you offer a refund. He can ship it or deliver it to you.

You can try to file a claim and say that ups or fedex damaged the neck in freight but it will be hard to prove and it's in pretty bad shape.. process takes about 2 weeks. again.. it's 34 bucks.

Why did a neck cost 14 dollars to ship if the guy was in driving distance?

I'll be honest, regardless of what condition it was in when you sent it, with terrible pics like that there is almost no way you will be able to win that argument. There is no way to really tell the condition of that thing from the pics. His mistake for buying it anyway? Maybe, yes. Yours for not providing better images? Again, maybe. Whenever I sell somthing on the Bay' I make sure I have the BEST pics I can take. You are really setting yourself up for somthing like this when you use crappy pics. Did you pack the neck well? Unless you got insurance, no one will reimburse you. Really, for $34, just offer the guy a refund. It isnt worth the dram this guy is going to bring you.

Have to say that with the lousy photos you put up there AND your refusal to hand over the neck in person to someone who lives in the same town, you're looking pretty suspicious there...I'd say give the guy all of his money back, shipping included, and learn a lesson from this --how much is your integrity worth?

When I run an auction, I'm up front about everything, I take good photos, and I give accurate descriptions. And when I think someone is making a mistake bidding on something I have up for sale (that happens a lot --I had one guy trying to buy a set of strat tuners for his acoustic, I had other people offer me insane prices just to buy it now on an item I'd knew they'd win for cheap) I set them straight.

Hell, I'm bidding on a part right now --the guys spelled the brand name wrong, so he's going to lose out on a lot of bids...I actually wrote to him to tell him about that! (well, I don't really need the part, so I don't care if I lose)

Oh yeah, I also charge fair shipping rates.

From his second email I'm guessing he lives pretty close to you. The "Tim" he's referring to is a top notch eBayer and obviously has done some deals with this guy. Tim got where he is on eBay by helping a guy out not by stroking him $14 for what appears to be local shipping.

If you chose not to meet him and he agreed to ship the item then give the guy a refund, file a claim with the carrier, have the carrier pick the item up and return it to you or keep it and pay your claim. It all seems so easy from here.......... :D

I've been through this several times (damage claims) and have never ticked anyone off during the process. I issue a quick refund and I get paid back from the carrier. Granted, I have to wait for my money (or in the case of UPS I never get the money) but that's the cost of doing business.

Another VERY IMPORTANT thing we are not seeing here is the other side of the conversation. Don't put up a one sided conversation quoting only his emails when something obviously transpired to tick this guy off.....or am I way off base here????

BTW......do you know what "inline" tuners are? Reading your auction description you state the "tuners are not original (maybe even inline)". Hit the :D

I suggest a few things to avoid this in the future:

1) clean up your auction pics

2) spell correctly in your listing

3) know what it is you are describing

4) respect your customers (this should be #1)

If you do those 4 things I doubt you will have an issue like this in the future. Granted there are boneheads out there but a guy like your customer here that has 129 + and only 1 negative is not going to be a problem unless you try to stroke him.

Edited by bluespresence

I'm siding with the seller. If you see an item up for sale on ebay, you can't assume the seller is an expert on the item. Sure, in this case, the seller is now posting on a guitar board, so he obviously knows something about guitars. But, just looking at the ad, seller could just be selling random things from his attic. I ran into this with a Star Wars fanatic -- he made complaints I had never thought of, because to him, the item was a collectable, to me, it was clutter. Point is, I'm not a toy expert. People buy on ebay looking for bargains. There are plenty of ways to buy a guaranteed good neck, or a certain perfect toy, they just cost more.

And -- poor pictures and low feedback number = buyer beware.

the reason i wont me with him is hes a physco. he went nuts went i sent him an invoice. i didnt do **** to **** him off. im well aware of whgat inline tuners are there for a strat. indicated that in the auction that neck needs 3x3 . who wants to see pics of what he is complaining about. pics he sent me[

not that close and i dont have a car.

quote=bluespresence,Apr 27 2005, 03:20 PM]

From his second email I'm guessing he lives pretty close to you. The "Tim" he's referring to is a top notch eBayer and obviously has done some deals with this guy. Tim got where he is on eBay by helping a guy out not by stroking him $14 for what appears to be local shipping.

If you chose not to meet him and he agreed to ship the item then give the guy a refund, file a claim with the carrier, have the carrier pick the item up and return it to you or keep it and pay your claim. It all seems so easy from here.......... :D

I've been through this several times (damage claims) and have never ticked anyone off during the process. I issue a quick refund and I get paid back from the carrier. Granted, I have to wait for my money (or in the case of UPS I never get the money) but that's the cost of doing business.

Another VERY IMPORTANT thing we are not seeing here is the other side of the conversation. Don't put up a one sided conversation quoting only his emails when something obviously transpired to tick this guy off.....or am I way off base here????

BTW......do you know what "inline" tuners are? Reading your auction description you state the "tuners are not original (maybe even inline)". Hit the :D

I suggest a few things to avoid this in the future:

1) clean up your auction pics

2) spell correctly in your listing

3) know what it is you are describing

4) respect your customers (this should be #1)

If you do those 4 things I doubt you will have an issue like this in the future. Granted there are boneheads out there but a guy like your customer here that has 129 + and only 1 negative is not going to be a problem unless you try to stroke him.

Edited by bluespresence

thank you someone finally see it through my point of view. im sorry i dont have a better camera. im pretty sure $34 dont even buy a neck blank. plus included tunners which i though were pretty nice.

I'm siding with the seller.  If you see an item up for sale on ebay, you can't assume the seller is an expert on the item.  Sure, in this case, the seller is now posting on a guitar board, so he obviously knows something about guitars.  But, just looking at the ad, seller could just be selling random things from his attic.  I ran into this with a Star Wars fanatic -- he made complaints I had never thought of, because to him, the item was a collectable, to me, it was clutter.  Point is, I'm not a toy expert.  People buy on ebay looking for bargains.  There are plenty of ways to buy a guaranteed good neck, or a certain perfect toy, they just cost more.

And -- poor pictures and low feedback number = buyer beware.

rt

while the guy does seem overly dramatic, i would not have touched that neck. everything about your auction tells me not to buy it.

the pictures have already been discussed. a crack could easily be hidden by the fuzziness.

the description: ok shape? in the future be more specific than that.

and why wouldn't you deliver it to him if he lives in the same town as you (the second email makes it sound that way)?

while the guy does seem overly dramatic, i would not have touched that neck.  everything about your auction tells me not to buy it.

the pictures have already been discussed.  a crack could easily be hidden by the fuzziness.

the description:  ok shape?  in the future be more specific than that.

and why wouldn't you deliver it to him if he lives in the same town as you (the second email makes it sound that way)?

because hes wierd. i sent him an invoice and he attacked me saying a waanna meet heres the email. Hey, you ever gonna look at my other E mails? I'm willin' to meet you at the post office there by Super Fresh on West College Ave. i read them he didnt like my reply so he got mad. i dont make a habit of meeting people i dont know call me crazy. also i dont have a car so put yourself in my shoes some guy i dont know insists onb meeting me.

This deal just doesn't pass the smell test. I wouldn't have touched that thing with a 10 foot pole. If the buyer had 35 years experience working on guitars, he probably wouldn't have either.

Arrange to meet the guy in a public place, give him cash back, and be done with it. Shame on both of you.

because hes wierd. i sent him an invoice and he attacked me saying a waanna meet heres the email. Hey, you ever gonna look at my other E mails? I'm willin' to meet you at the post office there by Super Fresh on West College Ave. i read them he didnt like my reply so he got mad. i dont make a habit of meeting people i dont know call me crazy. also i dont have a car so put yourself in my shoes some guy i dont know insists onb meeting me.

back to what bluespresence was talking about, we haven't seen any of your emails. you say you did nothing to antagonize this guy, but we haven't seen any of your responses.

i'm sure you must have friends with cars. parents? neighbors? and meeting in a public place like a post office, especially with a friend along, wouldn't bother me.

I'd just send the guy a money order for the $34 and tell him to burn the neck. I would never in good conscience sell such a steaming pile of crap like that to someone.

Looks to me like you misrepresented the merchandise by posting fuzzy pictures and writing that the neck was in "okay" condition. Having the fingerboard peeling off the neck is NOT "okay" condition. Having a big chunk missing from the heel is NOT "okay" condition.

If you want sympathy, you've come to the wrong place. People like you are the reason why eBay is known as the world largest online fleamarket. Shame on you for selling junk and passing it off as good condition.

i didnt do **** to **** him off

OK.....we don't use profanity here on PG...consider this your warning. BTW I edited it out for you already.

Now, you started this thread to attack a guy for buying something from you that turned out to be junk. He didn't like it now what do you do? Refund his money or attack him in a public forum. I think the answer is pretty clear.....

I agree that not all sellers know what they are selling. The ones I have run across have stated in their listings "I don't know about XXX product but here it is" You didn't do that and the fact you're posting on PG says you think you do know something about guitars. You claim to know what inline tuners are but the quote in my response above is directly from your listing....I'll repeat it here:

The tunners are not the originals(maybe even be inline).

So, you have some options here; refund the guys money and everything is better, continue this thread until you really tick someone off (I'm getting there already) or keep making excuses for the fact you sold someone junk and you think you're right not to refund him. The choice is yours.

he is highly exagerating the condition of the neck. ibought exactly the way i shipped it about two years ago off ebay. the frettboard is by no means coming off. the pics show the heel defect. thanks for all the stupidty. out off all the people who posted a reply one of you thinks straight.

thanks for all the stupidty. out off all the people who posted a reply one of you thinks straight.

Yep, I knew you do it. If you can't handle the negative when you post something like this the DO NOT POST IT!! You obviously think you're right so why are you looking for back up here?

Let's keep it simple....post relevant topics not personal attacks and you can stay. If you want to post personal attacks do it somewhere else.

****THREAD CLOSED****