The One You Keep Going Back To

Mickguard

I don't have enough guitars for that. I keep going back to ALL of mine. All 4 of them. :D

I guess if I had to pick one overall, I'd pick my Guild D25. If it's between my two electrics, I'd have to pick my Pacifica 302S (a tele-style Pacifica, not a strat-style) over my Godin LG, though I love the LG and its P90 pickups. :D

Greg

Currently, it's my Les Paul DC standard. It's the "standard" by which all others are judged, in my eyes. :D

A few years back, I played an old beat up melody maker in a local store. It wasn't much to look at, but I know what you mean by that magic. It played so well, and had such a great acoustic tone. I LOVED the neck, it made me a better player. They were asking like $600, which I didn't have at the time, or I would have snatched it up for sure.

My defacto work horse is a Gibson WRC.  Wayne Charvel made 200 of these (100 black, 100 red) in the late 80's, I have #93.

The black guitar barely visible on the right side:

Studio5.jpg

Dude can you hear that. :D:DB)

Seriously, nice looking rig!

My only axe right now is a 50th anniversary strat plus.

my recent favorite is this, the one that should have won GOTM imho...

I sense a Guitarfrenzy moment here, seriously guys, you need to leave the past be, So if you loose, there was a better guitar (at least on the forum members eyes) competing against it.

And mine is this.

DSC01706.jpg

Right now the finish is satin, since the poly decided to shed his skin, and is about to be transformed with a complete refinish.

Gorecki,

is that  nomad head?

where did you get that thing?  I was looking for a schematic for years for that thing...

Yep, From Eddie Spitzer himself (the maker) in Berkeley CA a long time ago. I've had it for a long time, he modded it to my liking and then not long after his shop on Telegraph Ave became a Bike store. :D

I wouldn't be terribly shocked if you did a phone book search for Northern California you'll find him. His brother has a music store in Concord called Spitzer's Music. :D

My go to bass was always my Epi LP bass until I got my Cirrus......now I have to say it's a toss up between the 2. The Cirrus is really growing on me.

But, I did start my new project today and got my neck lam's glued up for my LightWave bass so I may have a new favorite in a month or so.

my strat. one of the deluxe ones with the S-1 switching. I can get any sound I want out of it. it's a HSS with the locking trem

A few years back, I played an old beat up melody maker in a local store.  It wasn't much to look at, but I know what you mean by that magic. It played so well, and had such a great acoustic tone.  I LOVED the neck, it made me a better player.  They were asking like $600, which I didn't have at the time, or I would have snatched it up for sure.

What's funny is I went ahead and bought a second Melody Maker, also from '65, except this one had two pickups (mine only has the one)....and...nothing...no magic.

I mean, it was a nice guitar, and this one wasn't a reject (stamped with the upside down 2) like mine, so it had a full size body and neck... but it just didn't have that magic...so I sold it on.

Now I'm looking at picking up an old Epiphone Crestwood...same wood....different look...who knows? :D

I don't think anyone can explain the "magic" in the old Melody Makers but it was there in some of them. I traded a 65b for a Bassman head and a Fender Jazzmaster when I decided to quit playing "bowling alley rock" in 1970. I would give anything to have that cheap POC back. It was amazing. My "kept women" now is an LTD H-50 that I spent a month or two doing strange things to. It just doesn't ask anything of me. Kind of like a stray dog you pickup and feed. It just wants your attention and a little love.

My customized 1995 MIM Strat. Been going on ten years with my baby, she's going to have a new sister coming along in a couple weeks when either the new LP Classic or PRS Custom 22 arrives. But this girl will always be my favorite. EMG-SAs, blue pearl pickguard, locking tuners, nicely broken-in neck...how can you resist?

craftystrat.jpeg

It's always cool when you have a girlfriend who'll make a special trip to Guitar Center and purchase Schaller locking tuners for an anniversary gift for you. Too bad I dumped her two months later :D

Edited by crafty