Randall Tube Amps?

Alarung

Hey,

I'm in the market for a new amp, and I need to figure out what I really want, and if I can afford it.

One dealer has a Randall RM50 tube amp. It's a 50-watt combo with a 12" Celestion. Now, I know that Randall's Solid State stuff is supposed to be quite nice, but I've been telling myself that all-tube is the way to go. Is this a decent amp? I haven't played it yet, as this guy's shop is a bit of a far drive from my house. He wants $500 CDN ($400 US) for it. My brother bought a Godin bass from the fella a few weeks ago, and he seems to be quite willing to bargain.

Another local dealer has a Traynor YCV40T, Traynor 40 watt combo with a pair of 10" Celestions. I plugged into this one with a bunch of different guitars, and it was just dreamy. Everything I really wanted and a little bit more. Not to mention a Canadian company. This shop wants about $750 CDN ($600 US). But I know the guy who runs the shop, and between me and my dad, we've bought a LOT of stuff from him (A drumkit, 2 other amps, 2 guitars, and a keyboard) in just this last year. But he seems less willing to move on his prices in general, he's just not an awful great salesman. Tremendous fella though.

On a side note, a guy I know has a Fender Stage Lead II he may be looking to sell, probably around $250 CDN, but it's old, beat up, and cheesy 80's SS.

Which amp would you choose?

Thanks a bundle,

Matt

I also said I hadn't played the Randall.

But my initial post was poorly worded, and I apologize. I was wondering what Randall's reputation was for tube amps, or if anyone on the forum had played this amp.

Basically, my question is: Is the Randall MTS RM50B a quality amp? Is it a "better" amp than a Traynor YCV40T? Am I getting a good deal on the Randall? Musicians Friend dosen't have the RM50 in stock, so I can't find a price comparison.

I apologize if my post was confusing.

Thanks,

Matt

Randalls will not die. I don't know about their tube amps, but if they're anything thing like they're solid state amps, they are almost bulletproof. I was given a Randal RG300 for free. It had been sitting in the guy's garage for a while. I owned it for a few years and had only replaced the on/off switch(my fault...dropped the sucker) and the casters. One day when I was taking it appart I decided to look at the manufacturer's notes on the metal chasis for the preamp, the thing was made in 1975! I was playing on a nearly 30 year old solid state amp and it sounded(and almost looked) new. I folded and bought a tube amp though.

I repair a few Randall tube amps for music stores and them boogs are built to last. I really don't like the solid-state Randalls at all. The Traynor has a much better speaker setup and I would also mention that I have never had to repair one.

Sounds like a landslide for the Traynor.

I don't know about modern randals, but that one i owned had two 12" Electrovoice speakers. That's right up there with celestion in my opinion. Actually, I butchered the randal and made it ito a 2x12 cab for the carvin 100w tube head i bought. a friend wanted the amp part for god knows what so i just gave it away. I'd feel bad about doing that to say a vintage fender tweed amp, but a randall...not quite.