They Call Me Mr. Purpleheart!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHAHA Now Boy's Play Nice :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I was jez BS'in y'all about the spoon scraper business, wondering if anyone would bite, hehehe...

Most of the carving was done by my little friend 'electricity'. :DB):D

See the bottom of the grinder on the second pic that the guitar is leaning against? :D

I've always wondered where you got your avatar and why Drak?? Is it just random, and looks cool and intimidating, or some meaning behind it. Cool guitar so far by the way, that carve is nice.

I was jez BS'in y'all about the spoon scraper business, wondering if anyone would bite, hehehe...

Its funny you say that because THIS is actually called a spoon plane and I was wondering how it might work to carve a top. I thought you might be using the same thing.

Its funny you say that because THIS is actually called a spoon plane and I was wondering how it might work to carve a top. I thought you might be using the same thing.

Might work really good for cleaning out excess wood around the horns, which can sometimes be work. Jason

Edited by jmrentis

Drak That Is A GREAT Design!! By far one of the best I've Seen, And with this style

of a top (I think this is your first With this design) It brings The design in to A whole New kinda COOL!!

EDIT: Hey man What Kind Of a wheel Do you use on the grinder To carve You wood Like that? You know Like Size,grit,shape all that Stuff

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Oh come on drak thats ridiculous,but I guess the WOD's got to eat eh? Why did Wes dissaprove?

And I have to say that the one yo're workin on now is lookin very very nice.

I don't know, you'll have to ask him, but I take his opinions very seriously.

And thanks for the nice words! :D

Derek, the WOD is not something that is fit for a 'general audiences' crowd like we have here, there are children who look in from time to time y'know.

WOD is, to put it mildly, the most gruesome, unsavory, blood-stained, unkempt, ill-begotten varmint wall you could imagine.

WOD lives deep, deep within the castle, at the uttermost bottom layer, where the smell of death permeates even the walls.

Not a Sunday afternoon topic, y'know? :D:D

I'll post a pic of the grinder and my carve attachment later today Marty.

Everyone who wants to do a carved top should own one of these attachments, it is THE carver for the backyard builder.  :D

Thanks!

I too would love to see a picture.

So your block of mahogany and sand paper is all you use for joining? If so, that is way too cool. I think I have easy access to all tools at home, but I always had to trek down the road to get a hold of a jointer to use. This could make my life a lot easier. What grit sandpaper do you use? You said the pads were given to you - I will do a search, but do you know where they can be purchased?

By the way - very nice work on the carve. The design is not my cup of tea, but the workmanship is top notch.

Bill

So your block of mahogany and sand paper is all you use for joining? If so, that is way too cool. I think I have easy access to all tools at home, but I always had to trek down the road to get a hold of a jointer to use. This could make my life a lot easier. What grit sandpaper do you use? You said the pads were given to you - I will do a search, but do you know where they can be purchased?

Yes, that hunk of wood with the sandpaper is all I use to clean the edges up before glue-ups, it works great too, and was completely free, and boy do I love free (and small, I like small and portable too)

The grit I think is 40 or 60. The pads are made for 6" (maybe 8"?) electric sanding wheels, like a grinder, you know? but they use adhesive-backed sanding pads, the adhesive is very strong.