Playing Action

psw

OK...I come from the old school blues and classic rock type school, what with being born in the sixties...

As a result, most of my guitars have been of what would probably be seen as a high action with pretty heavy strings (10-46)...you do have to fight with them a little

So, what are peoples general take on action, and I guess string guage...you can certainly play faster with a lower action...but it does tend to change the way I play (which may be a good thing) as well...

Anyone got any opinions...? Changed their action from high to low or visa versa...?

p

I lowered my action fairly recently. Although I can't say for sure, I'm of the opinion that it plays in tune better now. That might just be placebo effect, though, because I know that in theory it should be playing more in tune and I'm projecting that knowledge onto what I hear. :D

Either way, I'm preferring the action. I still don't have it way down as low as it goes, because I don't like the way it feels when I bend. I like the strings that are "in the way" to contact my fingernails rather than my fingertips, ya know?

Greg

just depends on your style.. a blues player often likes heavy strings and high action as you get more tone out of the string.. a speed player likes lower gauge and lower action to facilitate faster articulation.

I'm a blues player so i tend to prefer high action. Low action doesn't communicate the blues tone as well for me, and it's also hard to dig in on bends when the string just slides under your finger :D

I use a modified 9-42 set and prefer lower action on ~12 radius but use 10-46 most often for jazz fat clean tones. Been tempted to bump up to 11's for jazz use because they do produce a fatter clean tone but is too stiff for me.

Edited by Gorecki

Low action for me; string guage 9 to 42. I raise the strings just enough to clear the buzz and not fret out when bending. The "slinkier" the string the better. I play what they now call "classic" rock, and blues rock.

I was born in 1963, and started on a Framus guitar from a pawn shop that played pretty rough. My next guitar was a 69 gold top Les Paul Deluxe with low action, and my playing improved 100% overnight when I got that guitar. I've been playing with low action ever since.

Right now I'm playing a floyd with heavy bass strings and thin treble ones 9-46(i think,the bass ones might be a little heavier) and I like the tone I get but I think I'm gonna switch back to 9-42s because i have my spring claw all the way to the back of the cavity but i still can't get it to sit parallel to the body :D. I think I'll throw the heavier ones on non trem guitars though just because I like them B). Anyways,I keep my action pretty low,especially on the treble side but the bass sides nice and short too but It'll be lower as soon as I change strings again. :D

Edited by haggardguy

as low as i can get it with D'addario 9s. (but recently 8s as i bought the wrong strings doh!) but anyway its still not as low as i would like it but i cant get it any lower without it cutting out notes on the high frets. i mainly play rock/shred guitar, but for blues and slower styles i use my lespaul with slightly higher action and 10s.

I use .45-.105 (roundwound) or .45-.110 (taperwound) and as low as I can get the action without buzzing. Oh yeah, those would be bass strings for those of you going :D I play mostly blues and bluesy rock (Allman Bro's, Marshall Tucker, Skynyrd, etc) and my own style of stuff which resembles a mix jazz and pop and blues.

Back on topic :D

I decided to change to 10s recently, and i can't even stand hearing 9s anymore B) sounds so tiny!

Anyways, I really like my action as low as i can, and i actually tolerate some buzz cause of that (too lasy to raise it.)

But the frets on my guitar are so great... part of it 'cause they're worn but anyways. They're the lowest frets I ever seen (except those fretless wonders :D) and i just hate the damn jumbo frets.

They need to make low-wide SS frets!!!

i like heavy strings and medium action. on my seven string i use an .011-.070 set and on my six strings i think it's .010-.056. standard tuning on everything (well drop d once in a while on the sixes).

the reason i don't like my action super low is you can't really dig into bends when it's that low. i always felt like the string was about to slip under my finger. doesn't happen with my action raised a bit and heavier strings.

i play a lot of stuff, but mainly it's rock and metal.

Come on guys. 11s are hardly a heavy guage. Don't get me wrong-- I don't use 11s on my electrics anymore (though I once did-- I use light-top-heavy-bottom which is what... .10 to .52? now) but 11s are what string manufacturers consider a "light" string. Even though WE call .9 and .10 "light" and .11 "heavy", that's our own personal reference point compared to our own personal experience.

Anything but the crappiest of guitars can still handle .11s. :D

When I decided to switch to .12s on my acoustic instead of .13s, that's when I made the switch down on my electric, too. I have to admit, these days I'm only willing to sacrifice "so" much for tone. I can't bend .12s properly for extended periods of time. Sure, the occasional bend is fine and I never have problems on my acoustic; however, on the electric I bend a lot more and I like having moved to the .10.

Greg

Anything but the crappiest of guitars can still handle .11s.  :D

Greg

i think he was talking more about the lower strings. particuarly tuning a .070 to E.

but you're right. calling .011's heavy guage is exaggerating. i get into the habit of calling them heavy because they're heavier than the .009's just about everyone i know plays.

On my guitar i like to use 9 Hybrids :D

I like the simple ease of movnig between fast powerchords on the smaller strings whilst going up to 10s for my shred moments..not sure why but i love em :D

For those who dont kno what hybrid strings are, its the bass strings are from 9's and the trebble strings are 10s

9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Edited by SlainAngel