How Fast Is Ur Internet Connection?

Gemleggat

How fast is your internet Connection? Is the old *56k* warning still valid?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My computer says my internet speed is 11Mbps. I'm guessing that's Mega-bits per second? I don't know. It's 2WIRE591 wireless connection. I'm not too well versed in the technical aspects of the internet. I have a pretty good understanding of HTML though, I suppose. Regardless, I have no problem with all the pictures on the site. They don't bogg my system down at all.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My computer says my internet speed is 11Mbps.

Is that on the wireless network status or the bandwidth test from the link provided earlier? Reason I ask is network status (usually a taskbar icon) is ethernet connectivity to the host unit, not internet bandwidth...just asking. :D

This is when I bid adeu to the conversation to avoid showing how little i know about computers.

Don't worry about it, if everyone knew everything about anything, nobody would be here to begin with right?

Thats actually where I got the 36Mbps from. I pressed Ctrl+Shift and Esc to get the task manager and looked there

Glad you figured it out Algee, now correct the spelling in your name and everything will be just fine! :D

Don't foget he's in Sweden. It's much cheaper there. There's no piracy laws either(up until yesterday)

I live in Sweden...

You can get 10 and even 100 Mbit fiber, but not for $10, more like $50-100

But that is only in the larger cities.

Most people can get 8 Mbit, almost everybody can get 0.5 Mbit (ADSL)

I pay $45 for 8/1 Mbit (8 down, 1 up)

Anyway, we (sweden) was one of the first countries with laws against piracy, long before US B)

The new law makes it illegal to download copyrighted material, before it was illegal to have, use, share and upload copyrighted material. (you could download but not have or use it... I know... :D )

Cheap... well:

Example:

12 Neck Mounting Ferrules,

StewMac: $5.44

GMF (the only supplier of parts in sweden): $48.16

Maybe cheaper internet but... :D

56k, but it actually runs slower most of the time and keeps dropping out...having a memory starved PI doesn't help...it's actually got rust on it...hmmm..

So...is this about dropping a warning that's probably not applicable to most, or making it virtually impossible to use for us more computer impoverished...we going to see open slather on pics...larger than life flametops or something...?

What gives...?

pete :D

So...is this about dropping a warning that's probably not applicable to most, or making it virtually impossible to use for us more computer impoverished...we going to see open slather on pics...larger than life flametops or something...?

it's about nothing.this topic was not started by the admin...rather just a curious member...

the pic rules are here to stay so that guys like you and brian can still use the forum with minimal hassle

This is futile - as Wes said, so long as Brian is still on dial-up, it's really a moot point what the majority of users would prefer. You technocrats may be chafing at the bonds of the bandwidth limitations imposed here, but the bottom line is that it's still Brian's football, so we play by Brian's rules. :D Think of it as an exercise in self-editing.

My wireless internet is running about 3 Mbps, but my hardlined runs around 8-10.

Also, as to that debate about fiber/T1/T3 being too expensive for home use, that's not always the case. My father is a teacher at a high school about 6 miles away from our house, and they are willing to pay for the installation of their T1 cabling to our house as long as we paid a monthly fee for it. I honestly don't remember what it was price-wise, but I do remember it being comparable to our current (blazingly-fast) cable connection or a bit higher.

Edited by StratDudeDan

i guess in 2 years from now Dial up will be unheard of.
I wouldn't count on that - it might be in urban areas, but out in the sticks, there are still a lot of places that don't have cable TV yet (one of the reasons satellite TV has done as well as it has). Since there's little economic incentive to wire sparsely populated areas, dial-up may be the only option available for some until true satellite uplinks become available.

i guess in 2 years from now Dial up will be unheard of.
I wouldn't count on that - it might be in urban areas, but out in the sticks, there are still a lot of places that don't have cable TV yet (one of the reasons satellite TV has done as well as it has). Since there's little economic incentive to wire sparsely populated areas, dial-up may be the only option available for some until true satellite uplinks become available.

Dialup will live until the price of broadband comes down significantly. For the past couple years, I've been using Juno. Costs me $9.95 a month. That's compared to what, $XX for cable? I can't get DSL where I live, so it's not even an option.

yeah...dial up is available everywhere there is a phone...but high speed is not nearly so all-encompassing...

5 years ago...it was not available where i live...i only had one option for dial up,actually....i mean,for local numbers...

the 800 numbers are always busy it seems

36 Mbps smoke.gif

But the speed test says 1.5 Mbps blink.gif So I voted for 1 Mbits

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Thats the speed test^

Thanks Algee that worked easy. Mine came out to 2.4 megabits per second. I put my vote at 2 megabits I am pretty satisfied with this. My computer needs to be cleaned up a bit, but it's not that bad yet! I'm glad I know where I can test if I need to, it was easy and fast, but I noticed you can only use like 3 a month or so, unless you get a subscription, no thanks. Anyways it looks like I'm in the majority, which is fine,as long as I don't have the slowest computer I'm cool, I remember when I first got a computer it took forever to load a single screen, and if there was a picture forget it, start it then go to bed and by the time you wake up, shower, eat breakfast it might be done, if your lucky and thats if you didn't lose connection or freeze up! Well thanks again for the test and see you guys later! Jason

:D

Edited by jmrentis

but I noticed you can only use like 3 a month or so

There's a trick for that. After you use it for the first 3 times, clean your cookies, cache and temporary internet files. Should give you 3 more chances. However, I use Windows Washer to do all that, so if it doesnt work let me know so I can find another way to do it.