My First Neck

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ciao Gun, as we spoke at the beginning of your project i've never inlaid wood, only shell, metal and recon stone, so i can't really offer a solution. My suggestion would be - quiet place, soothing music and lots of sandpaper ! Hopefully someone with more experience will have a solution for you.

Jem

OK I was able to cut and bend the purpleheart. It was really easy!!! :D

This is a pic taken while I was inlaying the purpleheart, then I will scallop the last 4 frets and post a pic of the finished fretboard.

DSCF0016.jpg

I think it was fairly good for my first inlay ever. What do you think? Ok ok I still haven't posted the finished fretboard but from what you can see here?

Gian

In these days I finished the inlay also if I still have to sand with 400 and higher grits the fretboards. Then I did the scalloped on frets 21 - 24.

Here the picture.

Then a buddy did show me some tricks with rasp and helped me on shaping.

manicoJem_004.jpg

I still have to sand a lot. You can see the pencil marks around but I can say the work is almost finished. Then I have to fret and finish it. A kinda of hard job but I'm happy with the result. Then I will show al least 2 points I fixed. Now it's hard to see but I did chip the wood with the router near the neck pocket and the nut :D

Gianluigi

Hi folks, finally today I did the 90% of the work.

I did the locking nut's holes and the ones for the machine heads' screws.

Ok.... fretting job on ebony!!! I was worry about but in the end it was more easy than what I thought after I did slot the board!!!

Here a picture during fretting. My buddy made a fret bender (he saw a tut around internet) and I used it to bend the fretwire.

Here I cutted on the first side the extra wire. The stewmac one is really hard, I had my hands sore to cut it :D

I use the stewmac's cauls to fret, 16" and 12" for the ends. Then I did mask off the neck to file and bevel the ends.

A pic during the levelling phase

Ok.... this is my first neck almost done!!!

manicojemfine_016.jpg

While I'm posting I'm applying tru oil on it, then I will paint the headstock but I can say the neck is done!!!!

Let me know what do you think. I will continue to post here without open a new one.

:D

Gian

Thanks guys.

I bought the pearl pre-cutted. I get bored too fast doing these jobs so I preferred to buy it so :D

I forgot a picture for the back. I didn't drill the holes for the neck pocket screws yet. Now I will try the fitting and I will do it.

manicojemfine_017.jpg

Yesterday I tried the neck on the body. As I thought and hoped it doesn't buzz!!!! :D

I did pass an hard time to find the properly height for the locking nut. Then the neck didn't work on the first fret after I tried it for 15 mins without any buzz. I did turn truss to add a bit of relief, it was a striaght line, and again no buzz everywhere.

Now I leave the guitar so for a week, then I will finish it. I mounted a Tone Zone too. It is too far from the strings but just to hear the first chord and it seems to sound good with a long sustain. I'm hopeful about :D

jemprova_007.jpg

and anothere picture here.

Gian

Edit: I did set up it with an action about 1,7 mm at low E and 1,2 mm at first string.

Edited by gun

wow, really nice man.

im wanting to stick a thorn inlay on my project, what did you use to slot the fretboard for the vine?is a dremel enough to do all of it?

I used a StewMac's router base with the dremel. I used the smaller bit StewMac sells too.

That's all!

Gian

I wouldnt paint the headstock, its quite easy to apply a wood veneer and can look alot more proffesional

Yeah... but I'm going to swirl the body and I would never apply a veneer!!! It shouldnt look professional to me :D

Gian

That fingerboard rocks, Gun! From the pics you posted it looks perfect. How did the carve of the back of the neck turn out? Did you have to play it a little then continue to carve, or just carve and go with it?

At any rate, it looks great. Congratulations on a very nice build.

Nate Robinson :D

Thanks. Yeah it looks great... just a scratch near the nut I had to fix. I was surpriced at the inlay. I could not believe I did it :D

For the carve I just used the rasp and the sand paper. I already own a JEM so I just copied the back. Once I finished I did frettind and tried the neck..... it went good B) I was lucky :D

Gian

Hey buddies I've a problem :D

I did practice on scrap and I had all ready for swirl but I thought I could finish on september. Now here is really cold and I have the fear to crack the body or the paint with the cold water. If I leave the tub outside just one hour the water becomes really cold. I did practice on scrap but I still didn't find the big tub for the real thing, so this is another problem. The guy where I bought the borax doesn't sell it anymore so I should search another suppply and here it's really hard to find. Things are going worse and I believe I can't swirl the body now B)

Third problem :D , since I wanted achieve the DNA pattern I bought the PU black/green with the red singol coil.... so if I would want to paint the body... what colors/scheme would you suggest me? I was thinking to do some airbrushing but I can't figure out any good graphic considering the PU colors and the perloid vine inlay.

Any suggestion, idea or picture is really appreciated!!!

Gian