Cool Inlay Method

Miro

:D haha, after two hours looking at a mother-of-pearl inlay on my guitar, trying to figure something cool and cheap, I got this method:

You need:

- Transparent glue (any that gets hard when dry)

- Purple or glitter (I'm from Brazil, I dont know how they call that out there, it's a lot of very small metallic "dots" of any color... most used on children's school work)

Do it:

- fill the inlay a little with glue and some 'purple'

- put glue over the 'purple' and more 'purple'

- do it again

- wait until it dries (24 hours) and check out

In the end, the inlay gets really shiny when light bounces over it. Comments please. C ya! :D

It probably DOES look a lot like a block of glitter-- but a cool block of glitter. :D I've seen whole guitars with that look, and I think it's purdy cool. :D

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
It probably DOES look a lot like a block of glitter-- but a cool block of glitter.  :D  I've seen whole guitars with that look, and I think it's purdy cool.  :D

Greg

You sure bout that?

Clicky

Lol. Just an example of what happens when its done wrong.

Im sure these inlays look infinitly better than that mess of a bass.

Edited by Marzocchi705

Why do you need a tuturial? Seems pretty straight forward. Mix epoxy with lots of glitter, pour it into the cavities that you have routed for it, sand the fretboard, polish the fretboard. Now you have polished glitter inlays.

So perry, does that "you'll have to wait," mean you put lights in the fretboard too? That's the vibe I'm getting. I'd like to see that.

Damn, you stole my idea already. Now I have to come up with something better than a backlit, moonlit, cloudy sky made from glitter and epoxy. I think it would be neat to make a solid colored guitar with a metal flake design painted on it that continues onto the neck as a glitter inlay.

...I guess you're going to take that idea too. Man, that's what I get for being vocal.

Show us some pictures of the whole guitar you have that inlay on when you get it finished up. I'm interested to see how you tied it all together. Execution is everything.

• 10 months later...

Say I wanna put one of these "glitter" inlays onto the actual guitar body...would I pour the glitter glue in before or after i paint the body? Before would mean I'd have to mask it up when painting...which won't be easy considering my pattern...and after would mean I'd sand off some of the paint...it's a lose-lost situation lol