Prs Knockoff

While my mum was in her last weeks I wasn't able to work on my last guitar often(48 hours became 48 days), so it's just been drawn out too long(got 12 frets to go and it'll be ready, but after a couple of months I lose interest in MOST things, gotta keep working so I dont start something else :D )

One of my friends is sick of his floyd equipped jackson and wants something that is no frills, and simple. So I'm digging in to my Kauri stocks to build a PRS inspired guitar.

In the 25th anniversary guitar world magazine, there's a pic of Paul Reed Smith holding a plain jane natural, looks like oil finish guitar, which is the only PRS I've seen so far that I like(I'm sick of seeing quilt and flame tops, they are nice, but I think they've been killed a few too many times by everyman and his dog using them.)

So my friend originally wanted a silverburst, but one look at this guitar and he seemed pretty hooked(also the fact he's saving truckloads of cash seemed to help!)

So my specs are:

Plain carved top Kauri body.

Kauri Neck with deepset tenon and thin(larger than wizard) neck profile.

Dide grained orange and black, streaked kauri fretboard

Tons of upper fret access, 24 frets, zero fret, and no inlays.

Tune o matic and stop tail setup for bridge, oval knob 3+3 chrome gotohs

Duncan JB and JAZZ setup, which is being substituted for some crumby import pickups which read the same resistance(doubt they'll sound the same though) which will at a later date be swapped for real duncans, or my custom wound actives.

1vol, 1 tone, 3 way switch.

the face of headstock and top of body stained dark, and stained light on back of neck and body.

No faux binding or real binding as stewmac's idea of cream, we call Vomit peach, and the PRS looks good with no binding, so we decided against it.

It's all pretty simple, but will be a nice "player's" guitar.

It will be finished with a thing called federation furniture polish and restorer, which is an old trade secret finish which is simple to use, and is repaired by wiping over another coat, and giving 30 mins to dry. It won't protect from dings as well as laquer but the guitar will look nicer from a distance (very well suited for a guitar that will be gigged).

I'm away this week building it at my dads work(heavy tools) but with the addition of a router to my workshop, I wouldn't expect it to be more than a week long build, and another week hand rubbing the finish. And this time I'll actually remember to take progress pictures(provided I do remember). This guitar is being sold for $540NZ(not much more than an alder squire) and I'm still making a profit!

Mr Alex

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well from the looks of all of your posts tonight, it would seem as though you did not wake up on the right side of the bed mr. rhoads.

edit: I guess that's actually today for you.

**EDIT**I just want to apologize to everyone for having an opinion and being able to express it in a civilized way, without the use of vulgarities.**EDIT**

Edited by thegarehanman

This guitar is being sold for $540NZ(not much more than an alder squire) and I'm still making a profit!

Mr Alex

No, all you've done is prostitute your labour out for nothing. This isnt a sale, its a love job for a friend.

you make it sound so "diirty", and I'm making about a 50 percent profit, still less labour than what others would be charging. And I think it's perfectly fair, my mates were all good to me when my mum died, so I'm doing them good deals on guitars. Nice and fair, no prostitution at all. :D

As long as you don't think they're using you, I think you're doing an acceptable thing. I really enjoy building, and if I can make just a tad bit of money off of building something, well that's great. It's the building that I enjoy, not having the final product(but that can be nice too). This will be an opportunity for your friends to show off your work; then when there's a buzz, you can charge their friends twice as much for the same thing.

Plain carved top Kauri body.

Kauri Neck with deepset tenon and thin(larger than wizard) neck profile.

alex did you know kauri is agathis? albiet a different subspecies than the agathis commonly used on supercheap guitars but agithis nonetheless.

it is also used on 5k langcasters (satch has one or so ive read)

after seeing alot of bad mouthing of agathis i thought id point that(apparantly) there is good and bad agathis.

how does it how up as a fretboard?

good luck

As long as you don't think they're using you, I think you're doing an acceptable thing. I really enjoy building, and if I can make just a tad bit of money off of building something, well that's great. It's the building that I enjoy, not having the final product(but that can be nice too). This will be an opportunity for your friends to show off your work; then when there's a buzz, you can charge their friends twice as much for the same thing.

well actually the plan is that they take them to school music lessons, and "advertise" them for me cos they're in group lessons, and practise at lunch time.

and my dad called and I cant use their workshop till thursday, so I've gotta wait. But still, i can glue stuff up first now.

edit: borge, just saw your post, i've got fijian kauri which is agathis vitensis, its halfway between asian rubbish agathis, and the premium new zealand agathis(kauri). I dont have anything strung up with it, but my sources(other new zealand builders) say it has a tone similar to alder. as a fretboard, well it is softish, my wood supplier gives it 6+ out of 10 for strength. Its a marvel to carve, I'm yet to find something nicer.(I hear NZ kauri is better)

Edited by Mr Alex

Well from the looks of all of your posts tonight, it would seem as though you did not wake up on the right side of the bed mr. rhoads.

You're just lucky i dont ever wake up in a bad mood, otherwise i would have put you on a two week vacation for that comment.

Edited by rhoads56

You're just lucky i dont ever wake up in a bad mood, otherwise i would have put you on a two week vacation for that comment.

Perry,

Speaking as someone who barely comes here anymore anyway, and thus couldn't actually care less if I get put on timeout or whatever.

Your initial response in this thread was, at best, spiteful and meanspirited. Now if you want to be spiteful and meanspirited, fine, have a ball. But, then you have to accept that people are going to call you on it. Making threats to people who call you on it is a craptastic thing to do.

So, let's be nice. This guy sold a guitar for 150% what it cost him to build the guitar. I don't know how long it took him to make it, but I know that he felt that it was a fair price for his time. Maybe your time is worth more than his. Maybe your products are better, I don't know. I don't care. Telling dude he's whoring himself out because his prices don't meet the standards of Perry's Price Per Router Rotation Matrix was uncalled for. I don't care if you're a Moderator now, you still need to play nice.

Your initial response in this thread was, at best, spiteful and meanspirited.  Now if you want to be spiteful and meanspirited, fine, have a ball.  But, then you have to accept that people are going to call you on it.  Making threats to people who call you on it is a craptastic thing to do.

No, it was a comment to someone who seems to talk a lot but not post pics of his work. If he HAS to post about selling a carved top guitar for $500 NZ, he aint a very experienced guitar maker....

Change your signature, as per these rules

Edited by rhoads56

*sigh* There's no need to be picky because he's having a debate with you really. I must say I agree with most of the guys on here - threatening someone with a 2 week ban because he doesn't agree with a comment you made is a little childish.

*sigh* There's no need to be picky because he's having a debate with you really. I must say I agree with most of the guys on here - threatening someone with a 2 week ban because he doesn't agree with a comment you made is a little childish.

I have to say that I agree as well. Now, normally I would side with Perry on issues because I respect him as a guitar builder, etc, etc. However, your actions on this thread really irk me. Weren't you one of the ones who said, "If you don't have something nice (or constructive) to say, don't say anything"? I think you blatantly broke that rule in this thread.

Back on topic, I am looking forward to watching this project progress. Be sure to post pics!

No, it was a comment to someone who seems to talk a lot but not post pics of his work. If he HAS to post about selling a carved top guitar for $500 NZ, he aint a very experienced guitar maker....

how goofy. not everyone here is doing this as a business and not everyone is a professional, so snubbing someone because they don't do something that you, as a pro, would do makes no sense. we've got enough hotheads around here without having hothead mods running amok..

Ok, well I'm going to say that we're all done with this foolishness.

So back on the matter at hand. When can we expect some pictures Mr. Alex?

Please, let's not beat a dead horse. If only we had some pictures to comment on...(hint, hint)

Edited by thegarehanman

Whoa, Whoa, WHOOOOAAAA!!!

Okay, before people start getting banned again...time out, cool off, think about where this is all coming from. Perry's looking to keep another Litch incident from happening again, and some people are getting pissed that he's not putting smileys in his statements. It's not worth ruining another thread over.

Breathe.

Mr. Alex, show us what you got and prove 'em wrong. I think that's what he really wants, after all?

Your initial response in this thread was, at best, spiteful and meanspirited.  Now if you want to be spiteful and meanspirited, fine, have a ball.  But, then you have to accept that people are going to call you on it.  Making threats to people who call you on it is a craptastic thing to do.

Yes, I will change my signature to RIP - Mitch Hedberg. 'Cos, you know, THAT'S a huge breach of decorum.

You're not helping your case here.

My old ROTC instructor defined tact as "the ability to tell someone to go to hell and have them look forward to the trip."

If you thought dude was making a mistake maybe you should've informed him of such without the inflammatory language. Nobody likes being called a prostitute. Although, it could be a cultural thing, maybe it's more offensive up here than down there, I dunno, I doubt it, but could be.

Either way, I stand by my post.

Also, I changed my post to something which is both within the forum rules and undeniable.

Edited by GEdwardJones

Whoa, Whoa, WHOOOOAAAA!!!

Okay, before people start getting banned again...time out, cool off, think about where this is all coming from. Perry's looking to keep another Litch incident from happening again, and some people are getting pissed that he's not putting smileys in his statements. It's not worth ruining another thread over.

Breathe.

Mr. Alex, show us what you got and prove 'em wrong. I think that's what he really wants, after all?

Crafty,

If Perry wants to prevent another Litch incedent then Perry should not come out of the gate insulting people. Nobody here wants to be insulted, nobody here deserves to be condescended to first thing. I couldn't care less if Perry was Paul Reed Smith and Mr. Alex was Ed Roman, he should still play nicely with the other kids.

If telling people that they should be civil is out of line, what is IN line?

Give the guy a chance...Mr Alex DID say he was AWAY THIS WEEK BUILDING it at his fathers place..and said he would try and remember to take progress pics..

Who knows, perhaps he may not have time or the facility to post whilst he is away...so give the guy a break.

I'm looking forward as ever, to seeing guitars being built and concentrating on that...