Number 2 In The Hopper...

I've never seen a dyed burl top before, but I have to say, it's just stunning. :D Excellent work as always, and that color is just dead on.

Yeah, I couldn't really find any info on dying burl. I wasn't sure I even wanted to attempt it, but I'm really glad I did. If anyone else has done it, I'd really like to compare notes.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you keep building stunners like that, you're never going to have to worry about finding work again! Precision is an artform just like beauty, and you've managed to fuse both into a distinctive and very rich design. I can't wait to see what you come up with next, but I'm sure it's going to be awesome!

• 6 months later...

I'm finally done and I've already entered GOTM. This thing took forever (nearly 2 years) but I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Here are the specs:

Maple/Purpleheart/Walnut laminated neck

26 fret Rosewood fretboard

Graphite nut

Mahogany wings with carved purple stained burl cap and faux binding

Carved back

Purpleheart pickup rings with creme DiMarzio Evolutions

XBridge Piezo Tremelo

Sperzel tuners

Hand-rubbed nitro finish

Enjoy!

pic3.jpg

back

back closeup

body front

front closeup

one of the coolest Ive ever seen...

seriously wondering where you got that burl

I'd like to tell you I scoured the globe looking for that perfect piece... but alas, I only scoured eBay for a couple days - seriously, eBay. I wish I could remember the guy I bought it from. I don't think it was one of the usual suspects. What I do remember is paying $125 for it. :D

whoooooa

You have to enter that for GOTM!

I smell a double winner here.

Toddler, you've built two of the most inspiring designs I've seen on this forum, and this guitar blows everything else away that has ever been posted here. Your profession as an industrial designer/modeler definitely shows and I hope we'll keep seeing more of your work in the future.

Now go build something that screams more Slash and less Prince!! :D

Puuurple Rain! Puuuuurrrrrpllllleee Raaaaain!!!