What Should I Do With This?

Guys, I need some help. I really don't like the way this turned out. I had an idea for a kind of twisted SG looking guitar, but I don't like the end result. Any ideas? The sound is what I wanted with P90 pickups, so that's not the problem, simply aesthetics.

It has a spalted maple top with a black walnut back. The top was brushed laquer and the walnut was rubbed with tung oil.

sgfront.jpg

images deleted

read the picture posting rules, then come back and fix up this post.

Edited by rhoads56

Guys, I need some help.

Yeah, you do.......

But where were you when you designed this....when you were working on it.......debating choices......

Now it's all set and done.....and it looks all crappy. What you want us to do??

Did you do it all yourself??? And what's up with the tuners.

Why SG type body with Strat type neck........

Aiiiiihhhhhh!!!

To me this is great waste of the spalted maple..................

Just my $0.02

The finish looks good, but the body style is horrid. I know, look up Idch bocaster thread and do that to it!

The finish is wel executed, i personally dont like it but im NOT denyin the skills that went into it...

Id personally keep that one, stick it down to experience and start a whole new project :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Im with SlainAngel on this one START OVER!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Procedure you could have followed:

1. Start scetching on paper....finding body shape you like (or modding existing one)

2. Post design on PG.com and wait comments.

3. When happy with results, and itterations......cut shape out of MDF, and with MDF template, use cheap wood blank to see how results are in real life.

4. Happy with results........(others giving cool comments)

5. Go buy more expensive wood make your dream guitar.

Now it's just an expensive piece of firewood.

Sorry to smash you windows....

b2430.jpg

Recut the headstock to an arrowhead shape, you just might squeeze a 3/3 tuner configuration in there. If not try using mini-tuners. Looking at the guitar in its current position, an inch of the left side, starting from that little dip just below the horn, could be cut out all the way to the bottom of the lower bout. The "protrusion" on the bottom left should be cut off and then just follow the natural curve of the bout. On the right side try to mirror the smooth curve between bouts seen on the left side.

Can't say much about the other "protrusion" on the right side because your controls happen to be there. :D But the general idea is to render it back into an SG body shape with offset cutaway. Anything can be salvaged. Do you figure it was a guitar that was wrong from the getgo? Just wondering how you managed to actually build it, requiring X amount of intimate hours and then only decide its "wrong" after completion...I know, seemed like a good idea at the time. :D

Thanks for all the comments. I was thinking of shaping each curve to a point. Then it would be much more metal looking. Kind of like a BC Rich Warlock. The neck is a Washburn N1 I believe, and I liked the way it felt, so I tried to make it work with this body idea.

I really don't want to scrap the body before I try to rework this.

Let me know if you think the Warlock idea is a good one.

It's hard to believe it from the way this one looks, but I made these other two first.

2newguitars.jpg

I really like that curly maple jazzish one (although the neck style choice is a little odd). And I would like the walnut (?) one more if the top cutaway was better shaped (maybe extened a little further out and had more body). But yeah, the one in the first post looks pretty sophmoric. I think it could have used smoother edges, and it woulda looked nicer, but the shape could also use some revamping. You could still make a kinda funky V out of it, by slicing the cutaways off

If it sounds good but doesn't look great you've now got your studio guitar.

Did you use 3 on a side tuners there?

Honestly, I think you could change up the right side a little bit to clean up the general outline, and then bevel the edges all the way around would also help a lot.

Funny to see that all your guitars up to now follow similar line.....They're all almost right.

It's that "almost" part that is so important to get exactly right.

With the spalted maple one I see some strange choices.....(strange is not always a bad thing though.......but in this case I feel it is).

The curly maple one seem to be very nicely executed but your choice of neck/headstock is debateble.....(again, you're the builder, so if you like it.....no harm done.)

The JS one is same deal.......nice looking guitar, but the upper horn seems touch outta wack......Almost right, but not quite.

Posting during built would give you insight in minds and ideas from others on this site.

Some great teachers and inspirators are out here........their advice can be very valueble......even if you don't follow it, it still let's you think twice about the choices you're about to make.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, the semi hollow neck really doesn't go with it, but I liked the way the neck felt so much, that I sacrificed with the headstock. The Mohog was my first real attempt, so I did leave a little too much material in that upper horn. I'll try to see what I can do with the spalted maple.

Thanks for all the constructive criticism.

Best building.

dude, if it were mine i'd redo the body to something like this

SGfix.jpg

cheers

darren

That [modified] design actually suits the headstock really well. Look at the lower portion of the upper horn. It's got the same curve as the top curve on the headstock. I don't like the design really, but it's better than the original. Good call.

Edited by thegarehanman

Actually, Marksound, it is a Washburn N1 neck. Good eye.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm going to take it all in. I'm completing a hollowbody right now, and I just got some lacewood and a killer maple top to start another solid body (I'll start another thread for that one to avoid this problem), so I may take some time getting to the refurb on this thing.