Super Thin Maple Wonder!

Too much natural maple? Most of the maple guitars I see are stained all over the place, honestly. Natural woods are beautiful, and particularly a piece with the character that has can be left pretty well alone and look absolutely wonderful.

This said, it'd look killer with that stain on it as well. Trust your own judgment.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... first of all, great shape, and amazing maple! That said, definitely stain the maple.

I like the color you want to stain it, but personally, I think it'd look better if it were a bit more orange than that. Just my $.02.

However, knowing your attention to detail with these things, I'm sure whatever you do will be just fine. :D

Nice flowing body shape. Not my cup of tee but good anyway. The top is absolutely awesome beyond belief....man am I jealous....dont listen to them....stainnig such a special top would be sacrilegous. I have seen and worked with alot of quilted maple tops and never seen something that special like these orange areas....dont ruin it's natural color!!!!

Nice flowing body shape. Not my cup of tee but good anyway. The top is absolutely awesome beyond belief....man am I jealous....dont listen to them....stainnig such a special top would be sacrilegous. I have seen and worked with alot of quilted maple tops and never seen something that special like these orange areas....dont ruin it's natural color!!!!

stainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainit

stainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainitstainit

:D

I can't decide what I would like better, the stain looks great and goes well with the wood, but the wood already looks epic, so ???? I wanted to throw this out there, would the stain have any funny effects on the coloration in the maple. The maple already has some colors in it which are cool but would a stain change those areas possibly, like darken or blacken them or would it make no difference? Just wondering if anyone knows. I really like natural too, and would love to see it go that way, just do what you want. Good luck. Jason

@wes: :D

I wanted to throw this out there, would the stain have any funny effects on the coloration in the maple. The maple already has some colors in it which are cool but would a stain change those areas possibly, like darken or blacken them or would it make no difference?

Usually the stain enhances the figure but evens out the different colors in the wood. Drak's rawhide guitar is a good example of this: Before staining it had different colors, now it's quite uniform in color: different shades of red, but the original colors are not visible anymore. This is not meant as a critique. I dont doubt that godin's guitar will look great after staining, but you can always build another one with a more "common" piece of maple and stain that. Why waste the colors of such a unique piece?

After looking at it wetted and looking at the stain I think I will go for natural on this one because the darkend areas (auccually a vein of spalt) don't look very good stained. I'll do another one and stain it... The only thing is i'm worried that mabye I'm not getting everything I can figure wise out of this peice if I don't stain it. Is there some tecnique that makes it look nautrual but brings out the figure?

Like this tom anderson has a "nearly natural" finish. Thats what I'm going for. So how would I go about getting that finish? Do I apply amber than sand back? Or apply a -very- diluted solution of amber?

PS: More progress pics will be uploaded soon.

Edited by Godin SD

After looking at it wetted and looking at the stain I think I will go for natural on this one because the darkend areas (auccually a vein of spalt) don't look very good stained.  I'll do another one and stain it...  The only thing is i'm worried that mabye I'm not getting everything I can figure wise out of this peice if I don't stain it.  Is there some tecnique that makes it look nautrual but brings out the figure?

PS:  More progress pics will be uploaded soon.

Oil looks wonderful, and works great for bringing out the depth in the figure, and Shellac comes a close second, IMO. Heard good things about Epoxy as well, although since it's maple, and doesn't need grain filling, that might be messy and silly. Then again, if you want to strengthen it at all (weaker areas in the wood, etc.) it might not be a stupid idea. Acoustic builders like Mike Doolin use a thin layer of epoxy even on woods that don't need pore filling (like spruce tops) to 'pop' the figure prior to applying (fairly dead looking) waterbased finishes.

Ye ask and ye shall recieve :D

Heres a quick uppdate.

Here is a picture of me just starting to carve the back of the neck. link

and here is one of the body sitting on the neck to show you what it might look like. link

Today I will finish carving out the back, put in the side dots, drill the tuner holes, and hopefully rout out the neck pocket and glue in the neck. Than tomorrow I'll start on the body routing and by wendsday I hope to be ready to finish. :D

Edited by Godin SD