Routing problem

Hi folks,

This is my first time posting here, but used to post on the old universal jems site, and I have a bit of a problem :D

Ive cut out a universe body out of the block of wood before routing cavities... ordinarily i would just dicsard it and do it again having routed first... but this is several layers thick ebony, mahogany, maple etc

anyone any experience routing on precut preshaped body?

Cheers

Steve

those bench's are life savers, i always assumed everyone here was using one. if ur using templates for the cavities to be routed you shouldn't have to much trouble, just rout from the outside inward is all i can remember, and take ur time and make sure the router base is well supported and is laying flat on the guitar, u should be fine. both my guitars were completely routed after being ruff cut out to shape, the first one i didn't even have templates for, just did it by eye :D

I've always cut the bodies out first. just find your center line and work from there. There is also a product on the market, I think from 3M, that is a foam/neoprene type mesh that you lay on any table and it grips the piece from the bottom. This worked great until I spilled some thinner on it. =) Otherwise, I just use my carpet-top bench.

I've only done one but I cut the body shape first and routed cavities much later. I had no problems at all routing the cavities. If you are worried about not being able to support the router, you could always lay some 1 3/4 wood around it (if that's the thickness). Some router templates also provide support as well.

I would definitely keep going with it.

Hey,

sorry about getting back I didnt have email notification enabled my bad :D

Ok Im feeling a bit better about it now, I just paniced a bit when faced with somthing new :D

Yeah I have a work bench that will hold it easily (I cant believe I didnt think of that) Thanks for the tip.

But i really dont want to route by sight so im going to have to make up a new set of templates... I dont have 7 string floyd templates anyway... This is turning out to be more trouble than I thought.

At least the neck was straight forward B)

Thanks for your help everyone!!

This site rox!

I'm about to do this very thing.

I would suggest either using the sticky tape to hold the guitar in place, or get one of those carpet sticky pads that are supposed to keep area rugs from moving. I've had good luck with that stuff before keeping the work off the table (less scratches, and it won't move).

12-SetNeck.jpg

Also, if the guitar isn't a flat top, I would suggest adding a layer of plywood between the guitar and the router. You can cut a pattern through the plywood to plunge down to the guitar to do your cutting. Having a large pattern like that will protect the wood from the router base and ensure a nice cut.

Hi folks,

This is my first time posting here, but used to post on the old universal jems site, and I have a bit of a problem :D

Ive cut out a universe body out of the block of wood before routing cavities... ordinarily i would just dicsard it and do it again having routed first... but this is several layers thick ebony, mahogany, maple etc

anyone any experience routing on precut preshaped body?

Cheers

Steve

I dont understand the problem, you have a router or a pinrouter?

Draw a center line on the body, use plexi templates with a bearing cutter that is on the router side and you should be good

You can hold the templates to the body if you have double stick or find a place to use screws.

Where did the geometry come from or is there any?

bigsuhr, the problem would be (at least it is for me (i've made the same mistake)) to keep the router on the body, since some parts of the body aren't wide enough for the router base to stand on...