Its Time To Face It...i Need A New Amp

Kith

I have always played through a 25 watt solid state 10 inch speaker ibanez amp for the ever since I started playing electric guitar. At first i did very little performing, so it wasnt much of a problem. usually when i perform, I just put a microphone in front of it, which usually works ok. but there is not always an extra microphone for me to use, and it looks a little weird to see the lead guitarist of a band playing through such a small amp. I have been able to put off buying a new amp until now, but i think it is time. Even our bass player says i need a new one.

So ive started looking for a new one, and need help. I am looking in the 350-600 dollar price range for a high-end solid state or a cheap tube amp.

The peavey valveking 112 looks great, but it got mixed reviews at harmony-central. and nobody i know has used one

I have heard good things about the line 6 flextone amps from a friend who has one.

The Vox valvestate amps look nice too.

If you have any advice, or know of any other good amps for the price, please let me know. I play many styles of music, pretty much all, (except country/western) so i want something that can handle a variety of sounds.

Thanks

+1 on thec line 6 camp. The flextones are brilliant. I played my last *profeshional* gig using one. I loved it.

+2

As an owner of a Line 6 Spider II, i can tell you they are a great company! also ive found there customer support is really good, each email is responded to personally instead of an automated response :D

~~ TS ~~

What other gear do you have? What do you want? How much do you want to have to drag around?

Hit some stores and try a variety of things out. Time and a lot of money have told me for me its either a tube combo or small tube head and 2x12. Always 50 watts or under. These days it hovers between 5 and 18 watts. I also have found that while chanel switching is nice I prefer a solid clean amp that I can then use a vareity of boost and drive pedals to change tones on.

Its hard to go wrong with a small tube combo. Look at the Ampeg Jet series really undervalued great amps. Also the Mesa Studio 22 and Subway series. The little 18 watt Ampeg Jet 12tr is killer and if your band has any dynamics usually will work well on its own. (18 watts is really like 70 or 80% of the volume of a 50 watt which is 90% of the volume of a 100 watts, i forget the exact math) 18 watts on a tube amp is a lot louder than your solid state because of the distortion curves on transistors, also they are often rated optomistically.(if lightning strikes this amp it will peak at 25 watts before catching fire and exploding)

It maybe that I'm too old because too loud really bugs me anymore. The more I read about hearing loss and other peoples chalenges with it the more I love a small amp that drives everyones volume down. YMMV

id recommend the Mesa signle recto series in a 50 watt 2x12 combo, I have the head version through a marshall 4x12, I can get any tone out of it I want. They are amazingly versatile and the cleans are crystal clear. For those your best bet is definetly ebay. I payed 700 for mine with shipping.

MzI

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. 1 x 12" really loud 40 watts.

I have had many modeling amps/modeling processors and i feel...

IMHO, the Line 6 are alright, but tends to sound artificially the same after a while. I mean the sounds are decent, but when compared to natural tube overdrive there is still not the same nuances of natural tube overdrive. You hit it on the head as far as i am concerned when you said "I'd rather have 2 or 3 usable sounds than 30 or so not as good ones."

Since most gigs will be miced up anyway (Sennheiser 609 or 906 are good choices) then you really can't beat a small tube amp. 6L6 for smoother overdrive (rock, blues, country) or EL34 for a crunchy Marshall sound (which IMHO gets old after a while).

I am very pleased with my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, after experimenting with different tubes and bias settings. Why model when you can have the real thing? Get a real tuber and you won't be dissapointed when your Line 6 sounds start to sound all the same/stale.

Pair up a tube amp with some true bypass effects (OD, Chorus, Delay) and you will be a happy guitarist. Legendary Tone, bro.

Exactly. I have a Fender 4x10 Deville and it's plenty loud. The reason why I got it is because it was cheaper used than getting a brand new deluxe. The thing must have an endorsment with Mr.Clean because it's the cleanest amp I have tried and I think the Peavy Classics have nothing on this.

I tried a Line 6 HD147 and the mod of the Bogner. You see, it covers one speciffic sound of the Bogner but in the end you're better off dishing out another 2000 and getting the Bogner because 1. it's better sounding 2. it can do way more than what Line 6 can do.

The line 6 aren't bad for people starting out or wanting a cheap gig amp, but I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on their products.

-Jamie

That Carvin you asked about is a fine amp with great speakers but make sure you buy the optional(grrr) pedal or it isn't of much use. Those Valve Juniors can be made very quiet and killer for about $15.00 and 2 hours. A tube change helps a WHOLE bunch with the sound, also. Little Epiphones ROCK! :D

What other gear do you have? What do you want? How much do you want to have to drag around?

I really dont want a big 4x12 cabinet. I dont need anything that big, and I definantly dont want to drag one around. a 1x12 or 2x12 combo would be perfect. as to what other gear I have, I use a 1983 Ibanez Roadstar 2, basically a 22 fret strat clone, a digitech gnx 1 effects pedal, and I have just started construction on a superstrat-ish guitar which is on hold due to the amp situation.

Another question: is there a major sound difference between different types of tubes? someone in this topic said there was, but is it dramatic enough to consider it when choosing an amp

thanks to everyone for the help

if you are looking for awesome flexability and something not too big go try out the vox valvetronix series...

ive got the ad15vt - 15 watt version - ive been able to get every tone ive wanted so far.. i love it... but then again ive only been playing for 2 years soo.... i dont really have all that much expierence with amps...

best of luck with your search :D

:D