My Vee

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just needs a few holes drilled and some paint, frets, and hardware..

specs:

24 frets

neckthru (3pc. quarter sawn maple)

alder wings

Rev. ESP/LTD headstock

Jackson/B.C. Rich vee shape( i did dimentions some where in between the two)

will eventually be red with black bevels

Very nice. I like it.

did you make the fretboard yourself?

will eventually be red with black bevels

It looks pretty sharp the way it is now. How hard was it to carve out the neck?

Nice work...I was just wondering...I didn't see any adjustable truss rod or any square type tubing for a non adjustable neck? THere are alot of vintage guitars that don't have rods ....and now have warped necks or twisted.....

From Stew Mac.....

"If you choose not to use an adjustable truss rod, then some type of neck reinforcement or non-adjustable truss rod (square steel tube, carbon fiber, laminated ebony, etc.) is recommended to help keep the neck as straight and rigid as possible. Changes in climate as well as time will take their toll on the neck, but a non-adjustable reinforcement will help maintain the neck's straightness. Necks without adjustable truss rods will also benefit from quartersawn wood for its added rigidity."

If your not going to to put any reinforement...always detune the strings after playing...

Other than that ...is a great guitar and a nice job -Darkside

Nice job so far. The design is classy, and I especially like your choice of headstock.

I do, however, have one problem with the color scheme. If you're going to go for a dark, metally color scheme like red and black, this would look a -whole- lot better with an ebony fretboard. I'd recommend, perhaps, a candy green to better match the look of this particular fretboard. Or, you could "ebonize" the fretboard with the black dye Stewmac sells.

All just my $.02; whatever you do, I'm sure it'll turn out great.

What color hardware? What pickups?

Nice work...I was just wondering...I didn't see any adjustable truss rod or any square type tubing for a non adjustable neck? THere are alot of vintage guitars that don't have rods ....and now have warped necks or twisted....

The truss rod is adjustable at the headstock. There's a slot routed for the wrench, although it is a little hard to see in that picture.

Nice work...I was just wondering...I didn't see any adjustable truss rod or any square type tubing for a non adjustable neck? THere are alot of vintage guitars that don't have rods ....and now have warped necks or twisted.....

From Stew Mac.....

i put a stew mac 2-way hotrod in the neck theres just not a big hole becuase i hate truss rod covers and i like the way fender truss rod slots look , so i just drilled a hole.

It looks pretty sharp the way it is now. How hard was it to carve out the neck?
wanst too hard just took a while and it was scary. this is the first guitar ive ever made/worked on out side of the world of simple mods( installing pups, drilling holes, simple stuff)

Nice job so far. The design is classy, and I especially like your choice of headstock.

I do, however, have one problem with the color scheme. If you're going to go for a dark, metally color scheme like red and black, this would look a -whole- lot better with an ebony fretboard. I'd recommend, perhaps, a candy green to better match the look of this particular fretboard. Or, you could "ebonize" the fretboard with the black dye Stewmac sells.

All just my $.02; whatever you do, I'm sure it'll turn out great.

What color hardware? What pickups?

i was considering staining the fb black but i decided not to for ethical reasons. its not ebony it shouldnt look like it is. plus i like the grain of the wood. as far as hardware goes, ive decided on chrome hardware. orignal floyd rose, gotho schaller style tuners, and the pups not sure. maybe a Duncan JB and Jazz or set of Dimarzio X2N. i dunno if im going to take the leap and buy pups ive never heard (Dimarzios). i have a bill lawrence usa l500xl in one guitar and emg 81 in my other, so i want somthing hi-gain but different.

oh yeah, for the inlays on the fb im putting a Zombie sillouet(like the one in the Stubbs the Zombie Logo, which also happnes to be great game) or the typical zombie hand rising out of the ground at the 12th fret.

im a big fan of horror movies so any other suggestions for inalys would be great.

thanks for taking a look

That is one nice guitar - can't wait to see it finished. Similar to my first proj !

I'd be interested in the dimensions of the body - I've based mine on the King V but the wings seem to be on the small side, not sure if I've got the right dimensions :D

Edited by thrasher!

the k2v dimentiosn are:

end of neck to middle of "V" - 9in

point to point of "V" - 16 3/4in.

length of out side of "V" - 21

body starts at 19th fret

Thanks, just wanted to get a rough idea to make sure mine was on track :D

• 4 weeks later...

ok its been a while but i have made quite a bit of progress:

fretted

got tuners

put hardware and pups in to test it

sanded

painted

primed

now i wait for it to sit so i can sand and do the black bevels...time for the pics...

wstrings.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/Dis...ncy/themess.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/Dis...adyforpaint.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/Dis...ency/Primed.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f116/Dis...y/itssoored.jpg

i did get a bit over zelous on the paint, theres a small run on the headstock...but eh first time realy painting anything

• 2 weeks later...

I like it, headstock and all. Red with black bevel is a good variation on the usual black with red bevel.