Fixing A Broken Headstock, The Hard Way......buzz Feiten Help

Hey Diezel,

This project looks great. I have no hesitations when it comes to removing damaged goods and making something new and far superior. I personally think that you made a mediocre guitar into a gem. It looks much better than the original especially with the new inlay concept and the finer workmanship on the neck. I bet it plays like a dream. Good call and excellent work!

~David

ps: Tony is a wicked luthier! Thanks for the link to his website.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Bought broken guitar on ebay :D

Congrats. You can use a computer. Back in '99, pets.com would have killed to get a haXor like you.

-Decided to put new neck and fretboard on existing guitar B)

Yay. Let's spend some more money

-Took to local luthier who decided he would teach me how to do this. B)

For free, of course

-Posted on local repair forum :read

Not that local.

-Posts ensued about how rubbish the idea was and how it would end up being firewood :D

No one questioned whether it was worth it--only the way it was done.

-Worked on neck + guitar every monday for the past few months :D

Just a shade under a year, too!

-End results. B)

A guitar with an unoriginal, yet probably better made neck than the original. Congrats. It turned out great.

So all in all this guitar is one of the best washburn Dimes I own, and I have 4 others, plus 4 more on the way!

I'm sure Dime's estate appreciates your support.

Edited by crafty

QUOTE(DiezelMonster @ Jan 23 2007, 10:57 AM)

-Bought broken guitar on ebay

Congrats. You can use a computer. Back in '99, pets.com would have killed to get a haXor like you.

-Decided to put new neck and fretboard on existing guitar

Yay. Let's spend some more money

-Took to local luthier who decided he would teach me how to do this.

For free, of course

-Posted on local repair forum

Not that local.

-Posts ensued about how rubbish the idea was and how it would end up being firewood

No one questioned whether it was worth it--only the way it was done.

-Worked on neck + guitar every monday for the past few months

Just a shade under a year, too!

-End results.

A guitar with an unoriginal, yet probably better made neck than the original. Congrats. It turned out great.

So all in all this guitar is one of the best washburn Dimes I own, and I have 4 others, plus 4 more on the way!

I'm sure Dime's estate appreciates your support.

*** is wrong with you ,crafty?that post is completely innappropriate and bitter...and for no reason except that you are frequently bitter..

want a two week vacation?post another one and ye shall recieve.

very nice work deizel...and a "haXor" is the nerd way of saying hacker

*** is wrong with you ,crafty?that post is completely innappropriate and bitter...and for no reason except that you are frequently bitter..

want a two week vacation?post another one and ye shall recieve.

very nice work deizel...and a "haXor" is the nerd way of saying hacker

You'd know the reason if you'd been around here last April when he started going off on most of us when we questioned his technique of repairing the neck. No one ever questioned the wisdom of completing the build--only the method--and for him to say otherwise IS inappropriate.

Besides, I said the guitar turned out great. What else do you want from me, Wes?

:D

Hmm. I supose that's one version of events. It's not actually what happened, of course.

What happened was several posters started attacking him for replacing the neck instead of repairing it, and suggested that the luthier helping him was going about everything wrong. The unifying factor about the people who were doing this was that none of them knew what they were talking about, nor had they bothered to fully read his posts.

Besides, I said the guitar turned out great. What else do you want from me, Wes?

Well, how about requesting that you stick to the forum rules? The only relevant part of your reply was the comment on the guitar, the personal attacks were uncalled for, and in direct contravention of the forum rules. All this a week after I warned you about keeping personal crap off the forum. Right now you're one wrong word away from a 2 weeks suspension.

just so you know..i read the entire thread before i ever posted...so i am not going off half cocked...i know there were disagreements because a luthier twisted off a sacred guitar headstock and cut the neck off to remove it more easily...it did not surprise me at all that a few of you questioned his ability as a luthier...because you had no idea who he was...setch's word would have been good enough for me,but ya'll thought you spotted a hack...again,that is not surprising...

what DID surprise me is your last post when you attacked his post line by line,making fun of everything...and there is nothing to even make fun of...it's just wierd,and not what i expect from you...i thought you would have been all for the outstanding repair that was performed...i mean...itwas just pure genius to cut off the original headstock front to preserve the original aint and logo...i mean COME ON...that is star quality invisible work there...i wish i had thought of it...and to be honest it makes me want one of thoase dime guitars...

anyway...i am just embarressed for you...i thought you were all about the clean work

Ack! I AM all about the clean work and I think the guitar turned out great! The guy who DID the work to Diezel's guitar really DID a great job. But I just hate it when someone's jonesin' to rub something in everyone else's face that didn't happen!

NOBODY EVER QUESTIONED THE WORTH OF THE REPAIR.

And oh my God, Setch, what part of you doesn't think that the words POON TANG RAT aren't offensive. Just because they aren't starred out by the censor software doesn't make it right, or mature.

Okay, to keep myself from getting banned, here's what I'm going to do. And I really do mean it. I sincerely apologize to Setch, Wes .............and Diezel for offending their senses.

Edited by Setch
Memeber ID banned {Not Crafty's!}

Ack, so much anger in this thread from both sides. I find it comical, but seriously guys, we just deal with guitars, it's no big deal and certainly nothing to get in a huff about, especially something on a forum.

Anyhow, nice repair. I can't stand the guitar, but the repair is clean and I can appreciate that.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

They used the Bill Lawrence L-500XL as well as the Dimebucker, but even inside that there was another rip off Bill Lawrence pickup that Stew-Mac supplied to washburn which was not the original

there is actually 3 different Bill Lawrence L-500XL pickups and it's bloody confusing!

Anyhow, When I came here I had only the best intentions, I never assumed it would escelate to the point of being attacked, as you said "we just deal with guitars" well that's all I wanted to deal with, instead I got hostility from the majority of posters in this thread, perhaps I should be a bigger man, but Alas I am not, I'm just honest I suppose and I don't believe in biting my tounge oh well, live and learn I suppose, I thought my last reply was rather good!

Anyhow, thanks for all the encouragement about the neck.

The guitar was supposedly constructed with "honduran" mahogany in the first place, and I looked at various types available at my local wood hut, so I ended up buying a chunk of "honduran" mahogany and off we went! The neck itself is actually 3 pieces with the center chunck going the opposite way, all quatersawn, the headstock plate is flatsawn, it all has a really nice figure in it, and the ribbon look you mentioned is pretty stunning when it's in your hands!

Anyhow the next build will be 100% my own!

Thanks guys!

Chris