Newest Project

I'll be interested to see how gluing the finished neck into the finished body turns out. Personally, it seems like a pretty awefull idea. What I mean by that is structurally, it wouldn't make a whole lot of a difference as long as you have wood to wood contact, but getting the two finishes to line up perfectly will be very difficult. Good luck, man.

On the topic of the finish itself: it looks really clean. Your finishing skills have much improved since the days of the orange peel finish on the wenge guitar. Kudos, man.

peace,

russ

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be interested to see how gluing the finished neck into the finished body turns out. Personally, it seems like a pretty awefull idea. What I mean by that is structurally, it wouldn't make a whole lot of a difference as long as you have wood to wood contact, but getting the two finishes to line up perfectly will be very difficult. Good luck, man.

peace,

russ

What everyone else said; it looks great!

:D cool!

love the colour

I thought you were going to use PRS pickups? Change your mind?

One thing--unless your customer wants the covers, I'd leave 'em off or go with plastic or wood rings. Just a personal thing and besides the fact that the chrome/nickel plating on the rings and covers rarely matches. If you leave 'em uncovered, though, try buffing off that silly Seymour Duncan lettering with some baking soda.

That beast is effing killer, man. Good job, as usual. You just keep getting better and better with every build.

Edited by crafty

I was going to use PRS pickups but after doing some research I thought these would better give them the sound they are looking for. (and at half the price :D )

That beast is effing killer, man. Good job, as usual. You just keep getting better and better with every build.
Edited by Godin SD

Man, that looks *hot*. Looking at this and the wenge one, I always love your body styles. I actually had something similar in the works, but as I continue to work on it, I feel like it's become too much like a ripoff of your style - when I first started seeing the similarities, I figured I was "inspired" by your style, but now I feel like it's a little too close. I guess it's back to the drawing board. But I imitation is the biggest form of flattery, or something like that, and I think the point I was trying to make is that I really love your body styles. This one really nails it.

As much as I love the wood choices you make (the wenge one was *hot*, I really feel like I'd love to see this sexy curvy organic shape in a high-polished solid color. I don't know why, I just feel like it would look great. Do it up in some bright jawbreaker colour and continue the "candy" theme from the "milk dud". :D

Lovely as always.

As much as I love the wood choices you make (the wenge one was *hot*, I really feel like I'd love to see this sexy curvy organic shape in a high-polished solid color. I don't know why, I just feel like it would look great. Do it up in some bright jawbreaker colour and continue the "candy" theme from the "milk dud". tongue.gif

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a white one with black hardware. Or a high sparkle blue with all white hardware. :DB)

I saw a satin white with black pinstriping motorcycle helmet. That thing was sweet :D

Edited by Godin SD

I am yet agin very impressed. The shapes are starting to grow on me and the finish is not far from reaching my "WOW" factor. Chrome covers will destroy everything. Maple matching maple pickup covers? Too late?

Well one thing I dislike about the guitar is how the grains of the bookmatch doesn't seem to line up on top part of the body..

But overall, keep up the good work

After thinking it over I think I wont go with the pickup covers. They are already in the mail, so I'll still try them out and see if they look good.

Concering finishes,

A friend of mine who owns a body shop says he will spray my bodies with 2 part poly for only the cost of the clear :D Oh the sweetness :D

Edited by Godin SD

After thinking it over I think I wont go with the pickup covers. They are already in the mail, so I'll still try them out and see if they look good.

Hey man, it's YOUR build. It won't take any more time for you to set them on the pickups and see how they look, so don't let anyone else, including me, burst your bubble with our opinions. Especially the ones that aren't very constructive about how you chose to bookmatch the wood.

It's a great axe, man.

Some interesting developments....

I was not happy with the quality of the finish. The top looked kinda -blah- because the finish sucked some of the stain up into it. I felt like I was wasting a really good top with a crappy dye job and I felt it diddn't reflect my best. Soooooooooo...

Here is what I'm going to do. Already today I stripped the finish, final sanded, stained, and grainfilled. I decided to stain the top a nice deep red insted of what it was before. The flame really stands out now :D I also stained the mahogany darker to make the white maple faux binding really pop.

I know a guy that owns a body shop in town that is going to be spraying my guitars in 2 part poly for me. Right now the guitar is ready for clear. Tomorrow I will bring the guitar in early, get it sprayed and into the oven to cure, than bring it home and sand/buff it. Thursday I'll put all the hardware on (this will be easy because just this morning the guitar was fully put together and playing so It's already set-up) and overnight it thursday night. Just in time for the friday, saturday, sunday concerts. :D

Welcome to the wide world of guitar building with a deadline! Yikes! B)

Edited by Godin SD

If it turns out even better than the pics so far, it will be awesome. smile.gif