Colored Strings!

Kevan

Some of you know that I'm a DR guy when it comes to strings (Good enough for Jeff Healey's awesome-playing blind azz; good enough for my hacking). Well, DR brought out some new strings at Summer NAMM, and I think it adds a nice finishing touch to the guitar.

1. Coated Black Strings.

A semi-matte/semi-gloss black set of strings. Yes- all 6 of them. There's a few size sets available (9 up to 50), but no full 7-string sets as of yet. I'm gonna keep hounding them on that.

2. Multi-colored strings.

These were originally designed to help teachers- "3rd fret, blue string"- but I figured they'd be great with holoflash and/or swirl finishes. I'm trying to remember the colors: red, blue, green, black, purple and....yellow? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. On a white Str*t, they looked pretty cool.

Both sets are acoustically transparent. If you *can* hear it, tell EJ I said "Hi." :-) It also extends the life of the string- keeps gunk, stuff, boogers, nail funk, and all that gnarly sweat away from the strings. They won't last forever, but it certainly will help them last longer, esp. in harsher/high humidity climates and locations.

I put it in this topic 'cause I think it adds a truly original finishing touch to the guitar. I picked up my first 2 sets of black ones today at GC $9.99 each. Anyway, i'll update as to sound and string life vs. regular DR Tite Fit 9's. I'll get some pics up as soon as the batteries recharge in the camera.

www.drstrings.com

elixir *shiver* but.... coloured strings would certainly make a cool sales pitch on a guitar aimed at local teens that wants something that looks cool they can beat around from club to club... hmmm i wounder if i can place a bulk order in several colours..

The folks I've met from DR are super cool. I'm sure if the right order was placed (hint: LOTS), they'd get ya whatever you needed. Here's a couple of numbers for you guys:

800-782-1901

800-809-8295 (fax)

Give 'em a buzz. The worst they can say is, "*click*". :-)

Color Ideas:

- Red White Blue mix for LGM's JEM911 (or all one of those colors)

- All Green for a Green Meanie Replica

- All Yellow for that "vintage" look, even on the strings.

- All Black for that Gibs*n LP "Black Beauty".

- All Purple for anything you play Prince on. :-P

I just got off the phone with the folks at DR. Nice guys.

The 7-string sets in black are an official "maybe". If they do sets of 12s, then we're in luck because the big one will be a 52 or 56. We just have to be patient on that one.

The colored, or "rainbow", sets are on the way. Check back with the site in a month or so. They're still workin' on putting them all together.

And some more good news:

They are looking at doing one-color sets. Again, this an official "maybe", but think about a blue and/or a red, and maybe another color.

For now, it's black for 6-strings. :-)

Pics and tone results....maybe tonight!

Here are the model numbers to help in your searches:

Electric (Black Coated)

- EX-BK-9 (9, 11, 16, 24, 32, 42)

- EX-BK-9/46 (9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46)

- EX-BK-10 (10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 46)

- EX-BK-11 (11, 14, 18, 28, 38, 50)

Acoustic Phosphor Bronze (Clear Coated)

- EXR-10 (10, 14, 22, 30, 38, 48)

- EXR-11 (11, 15, 22, 30, 40, 50)

- EXR-12 (12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 54)

- EXR-13 (13, 17, 26, 34, 45, 56)

Bass (Black Coated)

- BK-MR-45 (45, 65, 85, 105)

- BK-MR5-45 (45, 65, 85, 105, 125)

"Bootzilla" Stainless Steel (Clear Coated)

These are the strings Bootsy Collins uses for that funky funk stuff he does.

- BZ-45 (45, 65, 85, 105)

- BZ-50 (50, 70, 90, 110)

- BZ5-45 (45, 65, 85, 105, 125)

- BZ5-45/130 (45, 65, 85, 105, 130)

I found most of them at JustStrings.com. I've not used that site before, so I have no clue as to their service or prices. CLICK HERE for a direct link to the DR Strings ordering page on their site.

I'm not sure if anyone else has them available online.

I just found this in the pack of Black strings:

"IMPORTANT!

The enclosed EXTRA strings represent a major step forward in protection and longevity as well as colorizing. The life of these strings will be more than twice as long as an uncoated string. Some players report the EXTRA strings last 3, 4, or even 5 times longer. However, in the area where your pick strikes the string, the color may wear through within 2-4 hours of constant playing. This will not effect the tone or the life of the string, only the appearance. Some players do not wear through the color at all. The good new is that though this might happen in your case, the life and tone of these EXTRA strings will not be effected."

[NOTE: "new" should be "news". I left the typo in. Also, it should be "affect/ed" instead of "effect/ed". :-)]

I'll keep you all updated as to the pick area wearing. I'm no Rusty Cooley, so it should be fine for a few weeks/months.

The black strings are now stretching on my RG-ARCH. It's got an ebony fretboard, so the black-on-black looks sweet! Very goth. LOL

Camera batteries are charging.... :-)

Derek- Not as of yet. The largest black string they make as of today is a 50. (There's a chart of what's available right now on the first page of this thread).

I just played a few notes on the RG-ARCH with the black strings. Heh heh...it takes a second to get used to seeing black there instead of silver (these are gonna be awesome on a maple fretboard!), but....they feel good, and have the same great tone my Tite-Fit's have. I played for about an hour straight and noticed NO wearing of the coating.

A question I'll ask the DR guys the next time I speak with them:

Will the coating wear off onto the fretboard?

More playtime tomorrow afternoon...and pics as promised. :-)

• 1 month later...

I have GHS Infinity Steels on my Grind that are red. I like the look with the natural finish of the wood and I always get comments on the strings. Now if I could play well enough to get comments on that I'll be doing good! :D

I've had mine on my bass for 4 months and have had no color loss. Of course I don't use a pick like you guitar guys and that may wear the color quicker.

Pic is big and may take a few seconds to load.

http://home.centurytel.net/bluespresence/1...105_0595_r1.jpg

I looked on the GHS site but I didn't see if the guitar strings are colored or not. They do mention the "metal surface treatment" coating process though. I saw blue and black strings on musicians friend at one time......

• 9 months later...