Purple Heart Neck Through

Here is the latest project I am working on. This is going to J. A. Allen of Vampire of Vaudville in N.Y.

fun project I love the contrast in the woods. The finish will be natural. :D

specs are:

5 piece curly maple and purple heart neck

purple heart fingerboard

purple heart & curly maple binding

25 1/2" scale

12" radious

mohogany body with purple heart accent,

and curly maple cap

My original body design

as far as the rest I am waiting for specs from Allen.

aut3744yb2.jpg

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/1374/aut3747xx4.jpg

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6257/aut3752hz2.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/8337/aut3740oy7.jpg

all coments welcome

Mike

Rocksmith Guitars

:D

Edited by Maiden69

That's a mighty hot guitar you've got going there. I LOVE the way a little purpleheart stripe looks over mahagany! Ever since Soul Mate guitars's doug did that with the buckeye top I've been in love with it!

Chris

PS: Beware, they'll bi**ch about the number of pics. Should be one per post, then the rest as links or thumbnails.

That's a mighty hot guitar you've got going there. I LOVE the way a little purpleheart stripe looks over mahagany! Ever since Soul Mate guitars's doug did that with the buckeye top I've been in love with it!

Chris

PS: Beware, they'll bi**ch about the number of pics. Should be one per post, then the rest as links or thumbnails.

Oh I thought you could put in 4 pics, but I will only put in 1 and some links from now on.

Thanks for your kind coments.

Mike

I do not like the wave at the botom of the guitar BUT that alone is not enough fo me to dislike this axe

the work is really really clean and the wood combo looks wicked, I do like the wave on the fret board

Good work man

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I do not like the wave at the botom of the guitar BUT that alone is not enough fo me to dislike this axe

the work is really really clean and the wood combo looks wicked, I do like the wave on the fret board

Good work man

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Thanks matt For the coments I too love the wood combo. I have another on sold to a guy in N.J.

Mike

I was sure I already posted here...

Anyway, basically I agree with what everyone else says, it looks fantastic :D

Hey man I think you have been stealing my ideas a little bit too much. Just kidding looks good heres some of my similar wood combinations.

MzI

59 V

Flamed Maple top with 1/8" purple heart layer all on top of a mahogany back.

purple soloist back

That one has the purple heart and flamed maple neck in it which looks incredible.

Very nice stuff MzI. I would like to see more of the soloist. Thanks for the kind words.

I have been working with purpleheart wood for 20 years in various woodworking projects that I have done.

I love this wood it's great to work with not to mention it looks awsome!!!!!!!!! :D

As for the rest of you thanks for the great feed back on my guitar.... :D

Here is another pic........

Mike

aut3741ml8.jpg

Beautiful woods and workmanship. Lovin' it.

One thing I would do if it were mine is to round over the edges just into the purpleheart accent line. I think the combination of the smooth lines with the curves of the body would work well, and I love the look of having an "outline" around the guitar, like a pseudo binding.

Matter of taste.

I'm envious of your skill.

Brian.

Mike, that's great. I've never worked with purpleheart and haven't warmed up to it in the projects I've seen on this site, until now. I really like the use of it here, probably because it is integrated into maple and mahogany. Also, I find it very interesting to look at i.e. the thin laminate between the mahogany and the maple, the maple / purpleheart binding. Those details make the more "usual" neckthrough purpleheart laminates much more interesting to me. Me likey very much.

Do you mill you own pieces such as the piece between the mahogany and maple and the binding?

On the image link above, the maple in the neck under the fretboard sits proud of the body. Did you build that in when you made the neck laminates - like a step, or did you route down the neck that runs through the body?

Killer.

How did you make the purpleheart and maple binding that thin? I'm wondering how to do this myself to be honest, short of relying on the wood binding direct from Stewmac!

Once I have made the final shpe of the neck, and before I radious the fretboard is when I do the binding.

I use the stew mac router base and my dremel, but you can use a regular router as well. I determine how thick I want my binding to be, and then route out the required spce needed. To create th actual binding I glue up the wood that will be the binding, and in this case purpleheart and curly maple. The curly maple piece is 1/4"x3/4" and the purpleheart is 3/4"x3/4". After the glue is dry I square up th piece and the run it through my planer to get the curly maple to thickness I want. Then I cut it in half on the table saw, and glue it in place. Take care to mask off all areas you don't want glu to get on. Also make sure to leave yourself enough room to clean out the clue that will get into the fret kerf. This is very important to do, because trying to do this afterwards is not at all fun not to mention super time consuming. I learned this the hard way!!!!!!! :D

well this is how I do my bindings if you have any more questions on the subject feel free to send me a mesage.

Mike

Mike, that's great. I've never worked with purpleheart and haven't warmed up to it in the projects I've seen on this site, until now. I really like the use of it here, probably because it is integrated into maple and mahogany. Also, I find it very interesting to look at i.e. the thin laminate between the mahogany and the maple, the maple / purpleheart binding. Those details make the more "usual" neckthrough purpleheart laminates much more interesting to me. Me likey very much.

Do you mill you own pieces such as the piece between the mahogany and maple and the binding?

On the image link above, the maple in the neck under the fretboard sits proud of the body. Did you build that in when you made the neck laminates - like a step, or did you route down the neck that runs through the body?

Killer.

Yes I mill all of my own wood much better quality control that way. I buy all of my wood in bulk and mill as needed.

As for your other question I glued my sides on where I wanted them, and then routed the neck section of the body down to match the body.....

Thanks to all for the great feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Mike

Once I have made the final shpe of the neck, and before I radious the fretboard is when I do the binding.

I use the stew mac router base and my dremel, but you can use a regular router as well. I determine how thick I want my binding to be, and then route out the required spce needed. To create th actual binding I glue up the wood that will be the binding, and in this case purpleheart and curly maple. The curly maple piece is 1/4"x3/4" and the purpleheart is 3/4"x3/4". After the glue is dry I square up th piece and the run it through my planer to get the curly maple to thickness I want. Then I cut it in half on the table saw, and glue it in place. Take care to mask off all areas you don't want glu to get on. Also make sure to leave yourself enough room to clean out the clue that will get into the fret kerf. This is very important to do, because trying to do this afterwards is not at all fun not to mention super time consuming. I learned this the hard way!!!!!!! :D

well this is how I do my bindings if you have any more questions on the subject feel free to send me a mesage.

Well, rather than me learn through spoon-feeding, let's give it a whirl eh?

I'll be sure to let you know how much I mess* up.

*f, etc.