This is what it looks like right now.

paul1.jpg

back

Edited by Godin SD

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let's just hope you continue through with THIS commission...

Chris

That was diffrent and kinda complicated. I was gonna give the band a guitar to tour with just to be nice. But I decided it wasn't a good move at that time.

With as nice as that sounds like it's going to be I wouldn't be surprised to hear if Mr. Paul Smith's middle name was Reed smoke.gif I'll definitely be following this one biggrin.gif

The guys middle name is not reed. lol. It's a guy in the army that I met at church. But thanks for the compliments :D

Right now I'm routing in the angle on the top, just taking a quick break before I fire up the router.

On the headstock overlay I did a conklin type swoosh out of wenge.

as seen here

paul5.jpg

I'm building a guitar for myself thats basicly the same as his except the maple is natural color and black hardware so it keeps the whole white/black theme going. You can see the wood for it in the first pic I posted at the top of the page.

overlay gluing

angle routed in top of body

Here is the photobucket album with discription on each pic. link

Tomorrow I'll have pics up of the taperd neck (maybe with fingerboard glued on, depends on how hard I work :D ) and the routed neck pocket.

Edited by Godin SD

I really like the 'contemporary' look it has now. the contrast of the white maple and black emg's /wenge, also the absence of pickup rings. If it were mine I'd leave it like that, I'm less fond of the style of the proposed final result (though that looks very 'together' in it's own right). You sort of have this cool new interpretation of a classic 50's-60's look going with your milk dud design, and I feel the current state of the guitars exemplifies it more. All IMO of course.

Tim

I really like the 'contemporary' look it has now. the contrast of the white maple and black emg's /wenge, also the absence of pickup rings. If it were mine I'd leave it like that, I'm less fond of the style of the proposed final result (though that looks very 'together' in it's own right). You sort of have this cool new interpretation of a classic 50's-60's look going with your milk dud design, and I feel the current state of the guitars exemplifies it more. All IMO of course.

Tim

So do I. But thats not what paul wants. Thats why I'm building one for myself thats not going to be stained and everything is going to go with the balck/white theme. :D

• 2 months later...

Okay this guitars almost done. I started shooting the first coats of finish yesterday. Paul has made alot of changes. It is now unstained maple with chrome hardware and chrome humbucker rings, schaller locking tuners with ebony buttons, ebony knobs, flame maple jack plate, and an ebony cavity cover. I'll take some pics later today.

You can check out the album for some slightly newer photos

I also am starting a diffrent guitar today. It will be a carriburst with blue center to green burst, probably with EMG pickups (I love the way these things sound on pauls guitar)

Edited by Godin SD

nice work Godin SD, looks really nice.

I have a question...you've angled the front of the guitar, I assume so that you can route the neck pocket from it & get the correct neck angle. My question is: does the angle finish before the bridge or is that angled too?

I like the accents on the neck, I would have liked to see the accent that lines the fingerboard stop at the scarf so that it looks like it goes up the neck & round the back in one piece... but that's just a personal thing.

well done, I look forward to more pics

• 1 month later...

Here are some pics (I love that wenge!!)

web_0269.jpg

(click on that first image to view it full screen, it's amazing.)

pic2

pic3

The finish I'm using is called krystal clear. It's the only finish I've tried that really brings out the wenge, making it jaw dropping beautiful. Other finishes just make wenge look like black paint, rather uninspiring if you ask me.

Edited by Godin SD