Stone Cold Satriani

Drak

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or do both of the rear shot pics look identical? :D

Looks great though, I thought the limba looked cool before it was stained. And it looks cool now, too.

That is sweet, I have been lurking around here and seeing what you guys have done is really inspiring me to start building some. I turned my garage into a recording studio and there is about 6 feet left outside the wall from the studio. I have started converting that space into a workshop for painting guitars but it looks like i will start building as well.

Hey, does anyone know what Satch uses in the bridge?

I have a DiMarzio PAF Pro here that I bought used several years ago, I'm guessing that's his neck pkp (or at least used to be after Fred?), so that's covered, but I need to make a decision for the bridge, I'm thinking Tone Zone or something along those lines, what does he use?

I don't need anything ridiculously middy, but with the Floyd, it does need -some- balls in the mids, so I'm open to opinions on that. :D

I have a Duncan Distortion that would probably do fine, but I want to keep the DiMarzio all-black look going for this one.

Oh, PS, the headstock in the pic looks all washed out, I took those pics in direct sunlight about noonish, it looks far darker and much more like the body than that pic shows it to be (which looks kinda washed out) I think it was just the sun hitting it from a certain angle that made it do dat.

And yes, the gold Floyd, gold locking tuners and black knobs are already here. :D

I will probably use my Stew-Mac 'ala PRS' 5-way switch on it, which copies the PRS rotary switch functions but in a Fender style lever switch form.

He's used the FRED in the bridge and the PAF Pro in the neck for years. Now he's using the Mo' Joe in the bridge and the PAF Joe in the neck for his new vintage-style tracks.

With all the EMG accessories you're probably going to use, I'd just use PAF Pros in both positions and let your RPC and EXG curve the EQ. They're very transparent pickups and good for running through FX. The FRED has that weird wah-like notch in the mids that's great for like, three songs and then you hate it.

But hey, DiMarzio has an exchange program, so use what you like! :D

Hey, the limba! Nice! I stumbled on a 4-ft piece of the very same a few weeks ago, took it right home to meet some new friends.

OK now kids, if you've been keeping score at home, then you already know that a blue quilt-top will win GOTM about 8 times out of 10. Just check the gallery.

This one, however, blows away all previous blue posers.

Mad props Drak! :D

Edited by erikbojerik

Thanks again for everyone's great remarks, they are appreciated. :D

About the pickups, I decided to go with a DiMarzio EVO 2 for the bridge. It seems a good match for the PAF Pro I think, and it is visibly identical, as in all black polepieces and all that, and it even has a black base for installations that don't use pickup rings, (which I probably won't use here)

So if anyone has any comments on the EVO 2, I'm listening... :D

Drak, I must have yelled something when I saw the pics because my wife came runnng to see what was wrong. Its a stunner.

Love the subtle burst - methinks it works especially well with all that quilt ripple - no harsh transition. And I love the look of the limba with a toner coat on it - wasn't sure I would but I do.

:D