What Program Are You Using?

Ive used a couple of cad programs back in school, but none of them gave the 3d pics that I see here posted once in a while. Now that I have a computer thats not running windows 95, I was looking into buying a design program and was looking for some input. Thanks

I personally use Autodesk Inventer 10, It is fairly easy to learn the basics and will have you producing 3d guitars in no time.

Autodesk Website

The problem is that it is over 1gb to install, and can be farely slow to set up and to load unless your computer has a fast HDD and CPU.

Also it can be expencive to buy, depending on where it is bought.

RGman :D

Sketchup is easy to learn, but I feel limited when using it...basic shapes and limited control. ITs good for drawing ideas for quick reference. Im kinda looking at something I can use to draw out plans full scale, and get some 3d rendering as well, without having to shell out the 15 grand licence fee like PRO-E. Metal Matt had a 3d pic of a kelly inspired guitar that I saw and thats what gave me the idea to ask. Already PMed him, before someone asks why I didnt do that first.

Metal Matt had a 3d pic of a kelly inspired guitar that I saw and thats what gave me the idea to ask. Already PMed him, before someone asks why I didnt do that first.

Actually, I'm glad you posted this because I've been looking for a 3d design program, too.

/ eagerly awaits answer

good renderings are gonna cost you a minimum of 3500 usd for a program like 3dsmax8/9 or maya and with those programs there is a huge learning curve that will take you a very long time to get decent renderings with it unless you have someone teaching you the program. On top of that you are going to need autocad to start with and currently thats going for 3500 also, so now for two programs your looking at 7000 when sketchup is free and you can actually draw plans and do decent renderings you just hafta know how to use the program.

MzI

I personally like Canvas X by ACDSystems. It's a combination of CAD, Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. It's excellent at technical illustrations and the drawing tools rule. The interface is pretty easy to grasp as well. It also has massive import/export capabilities. If you try it, I can give you some pointers. You can get a trial version of it at the website.

I was looking at a program called Alibre, and requested a call from a salesman. He called within 5 min to give the sales pitch and its actually not bad. 500 bucks over 12 months, free training online with a person, not tutorials. Collins guitars actually use this program for R&D, at least that is what I was told. It reminds me of PRO-E. Might be worth it in the future, but right now, I would rather spend 500 on better tools, and keep drawing plans out on paper. Ill have to look up Canvas X and check it out. Its like a student version, or a 30 day trial program?

I've gone through a ton of AutoCAD programs and currently run 2000 at home and 2006 at work. (only reason I am not running 2006 at home is I can't find a copy of the disk yet) I also have played around with Inventor 10. Inventor is nice to work with and does things a little easier than AutoCAD. But either way you are in for big bucks. AutoCAD does offer a student version, don't really know what is on it, but it couldn't hurt to look.

• 2 months later...

A friend expressed interest in CAD programs. I have ProDesktop, from back when it was free. I'd seen SketchUp stuff on Make magazine blog, so I pointed him that way. We're old school CADAM, CATIA and he was having problems driving SketchUp. To help him out, I downloaded SketchUp to get a feel for it and help him out. It has a sharing feature where you can upload your models into a google database for people to check out/download. I started looking around there and found a very nice model of a Stratocaster.

I did my V model in the free version of Sketchup. The "Sandbox" texturing tools only come with the retail version, and they would be really handy for all the curves, reliefs & angles on guitars.

It was my first ever 3D model of anything so it took a while, but with patience it can be done. Individual pieces of hardware (tuning posts, nut, trem, knobs, switches, fretboard etc) were designed as seperate components, all added to the main body. Mine is only roughly to scale +/- 2mm , it struggles with exact measurements.

There are limitations i.e. I can't find a way to properly shape the neck/body join & heel - but for a visualisation tool it rocks

1.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h130/thr.../Flying_G/4.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h130/thr.../Flying_G/3.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h130/thr.../Flying_G/2.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h130/thr.../Flying_G/5.jpg

I've worked with Lightwave for years, also trained in 3ds Max, used most 3d & 2d apps on PC & Mac & to be honest I find it easiest to draw out full scale plans with pencil & paper. I'll use Photoshop for an initial mockup but no application will help your design & drawing skills. Any design application will take weeks to learn & years to master...but if you can't design or draw in the first place, you'll be screwed anyway. Spending hours/days/weeks making a "money for nothing" style picture is all well & good but why bother when you could be making the real thing.

Do you really need cad software to build a guitar? Granted it makes things a lot easier but good ole pen and paper does wonders. All the time you spend making somthing in cad you could be done of the project using conventional methods.