Ok... I Guess It's About That Time

So I figured I've been holding off until "it looks like a bass" long enough and it's about time to share with you folks what I've been doing the last 4 months (slowly :D ).

I present to you my first commissioned build: the first "DC Ego" 5-string active bass.

boardandallandparts.jpg

It's a neck thru of wenge/bubinga/limba/bubinga/wenge (the gorgeous blank which came from our good friend soundat11). It's also got a wenge headplate. The wings are bubinga with a beautiful 1/4" flamed top I picked up from Rich. As you can see it's got an original warwick bridge and graphite adjust-a-nut (shiped from england) as well as the MEC pickups that the warwick thumb 5's use. It's a relatively thin bass at 1.25" (allowable cause it's a neck-thru, same as my Rickenbacker 4001) with an ebony fretboard and "stages of the eclipse" MOP inlays (which the picture doesn't really show well since my camera sucks and doesn't pick up the smaller pointy areas and subtleties), fretboard bound with more ebony. It's also gunna have the Seymour Duncan Basslines STC-3a active EQ system.

This will most likely be all I show before it's done... but still feel free to comment.

Chris

Good work, chris, looks good. Is that scarfed headstock a bit crooked? Maybe slipped during glueup? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. It shouldn't be obvious once you cut the profile out. I'd make a big deal of it if I didn't know what you were charging the guy :D . I like the eclipse inlays a lot. I think it would have looked just as good with just one at the 12th.

peace,

russ

No the scarf isn't crooked hahahahaha, optical illusion :D

In fact.... it's not even scarfed at all, it'd cut directly out of the blank ala Gibson style. And the REASON for the optical illusion........

suspense......

The wenge headplate isn't anything NEAR a perfect rectangle lol but it was big enough to cover the area that I wanted and more... so it wasn't an issue, and it'll be obviously cut to shape soon.

Chris

PS: Scott, if you stop by an go "hey wait a second!" I SWEAR I didn't copy your guitar design. I actually tookk the upper horn from an iceman, and the lower horn was originally suppposed to be an "ergonomic" feature in that your leg would fit right up in that cove for sitting position.... HOWEVER after drawing everything out it turned out WAY to small, and making it big enough for that made it ugly :D

And the body actually used to be different too... the guy I'm making it for made me change the orientation of the rear bout to be that.

Wow!

That's really cool looking. The shape is really cool looking, sort of a hip retro funky look, something like they'd have on the Jetsons, but with a Ric vibe. What kind of headstock do you have in mind (maybe the matching Rick one)?

Before I shipped out the blank, I tapped on it for a while and that is one deep sustaining piece of wood, so it's gotta sound huge when you get it finished. The ebony fretboard (nice inlays, sorta halfway between the Jet wax/waning moons and the Yamaha compass inlay) ought to give you some brightness and clarity, good choice.

very nice:-)

• 3 months later...

Great work, been looking forward to seeing this project. Bubinga is the ultimate slap wood, I highly recommend it.

And a FYI - I used more slapping and tapping than any other technique with my old metal band. Genre is never technique specific, unless it is funk!

Thanks Perry, for serious, I honestly really appreciated that. I got slammed by a kid earlier for offering to do some free inlay, and then when he got usury I said he was then asking too much for me for free, and that wasn't what we agreed on, and then he insulted my inlay work, said I was sloppy etc. etc. But yeah, I think the bass came out really nicely. Hopefully the guy likes it!

Chris

I love it, nice shape, nice inlays, nice woods....I liked the blue jean finish too but the natural is very nice.

I have a small crit.. I'm not very keen on the headstock layout, the string paths look a bit random & bunched up, does this affect tuning in any way?