Pictures From Namm 2007

tirapop

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to play Gary's V on stage with Exodus when we played with them here in Columbus. I'd never played a scalloped neck before and I found it really wasn't anything too different from what i was used too. That guitar was really neck heavy and unbalanced though, the strap buttons could have been located in a better place maybe. All in all it was a badass guitar though.

umm,yeah...you should know that if you played on the same stage as exodus then you are my hero :D

i would really love to hear that story...

2 dates, one cleveland, one here in columbus. The Columbus one was better but i had injured my wrist in the pit in cleveland and was drunk the whole time to ease the pain and to be able to play. So anyways, we play, get off stage, Full Blown Chaos plays, and then Exodus comes on. I'm really drunk by then and we're using our all access passes to stand in front of the barrier and be right up on the stage. Lee and Jack were handing us Heinekens and the show was rocking. After their last song Lee comes up to us and says something but we cant hear, about 2 seconds later a crew member comes up and leads my bass player and I on stage. Before i know it i get Gary's V put in my hands and i'm out on stage not having a clue what to do here. Bostaph jumps off the kit and starts throwing sticks and picks at people, and Gary gets on the drums and just starts double bass and blast beats. I start shredding, Bostaph approves, it goes on like that for a minute or two and then i give the guitar back. After the show Exodus has one of their crew bring us a 12 pack of Heineken and then they came down and hung out and drank with us for about an hour and a half. That's about all there is to it.

yeah..i wasn't saying the video was all that good,i don't even think metal videos should exist

They should :D the band shouldn't ever appear in them at any point though B)

the vocalist for exodus?well,i love his voice
'fraid its the vocalist that puts me off them (the drumming is seriously tight though)

i love watching kirk hammett trying to look mean...

:D only toped by kirk hammett trying to sound AND look mean at the same time.

the first lead on War is my Shepherd really shows good trem control if nothing else

well..i grew up in the time period in which videos were for madonna and tears for fears...

metallica even went on record back then saying "we will never sell out and make a video"

that changed to "well,we said we would never make a video,but we felt we really had something to say with "one""

and now they try to put everything on video right on down to kirk testing out a pignose amp in a hotel room...oh how the mighty have fallen....

slayer at least keeps their videos as basically just them playing live...which i like to see.exodus vocals are how i think metal vocals should be...with a rough edge but still actually using proper pitch.i can get behind lamb of god...because even though they do the "cookie monster" thing,it still sounds good and they change pitch to match the riff...i "don't" like the napalm death/obituary gargling thing...i mean really,what's the point?it's all just very boring.

That bass strikes me as horrific and as Wes says, unplayable.

It makes me think of that Saturday Night Live skit that came out after Gilette announced the Mach 3. "Wait... it's the Mach 20! With 20 blades for extra-close shave" (or whatever).

I suppose I could "reason" out why a 9-string bass is a bad idea, but I think most people will just look at that thing and automatically intuit that there are better ways to skin the extended range cat; ones that don't include an ergonomically problematic slog of engineering. It's like forcing a pickup truck into the racing circuit. Yeah, it has an engine, 4 wheels, and could be made to be pretty fast. But I suspect that the winner of the race is still the one driving the stock car or F1.

Greg

that is GARY HOLT,man......gary holt...one of the godfathers of thrash.....one of the absolute best,tightest,all time ass kickinest guitarists to ever grace the stage...

the man is a rythm guitarists hero...if you have not heard exodus...you NEED to get "tempo of the damned"(the newest cd)

i realize you are joking...but it's freakin GARY HOLT man!!!!

i know you are young...but the guy is ...well,there is no guitarist of that caliber in metal to compare him to today....

Deadly Riffs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUgyw-Aooxw

War is my Shepard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBSDqAIPMJs

this all had to be shown :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

I think those videos (even the second one) prove at least to myself that the instrument is exactly what I think it is. I think he'd have better control and tone with an actual Stick, too.

Greg

but that was not impressive...

I'm not trying to impress you guys with anything - just point out that there are different strokes for different folks. A stick is strictly limited to tap play, with a bass you can get finger, slap, pick, and tap play out of it. A much more versatile isntrument.

Yeah, I know what you're getting at, I just can't agree that you're getting benefits. "Different" or "Extra" (in this case, strings) doesn't always imply any sort of improvement on design. Those guys on those 9-strings simply will NOT be able to hold down a standard walking bass line in the lower registers, or at least not without discomfort. The only way to reach the lowest notes in any sort of efficient way is with tapping. They won't be doing any popping or slapping down there, either. Despite the versatility "on paper," one guy played completely in a "classical guitar" way, and in the same octave ranges, while the other guy played completely stick-style, tapping his low notes.

It goes without saying that it's "different strokes" kinda thing, but it still seems very much a flawed design. An instrument, like any number of other pieces of engineering, shouldn't try so hard to be all things, or it'll fail at some. You may get the ability to pop and slap, but if you're going to play it like a stick, a stick does a better job of being a stick, y'know? And a classical guitar does a better job of being a classical guitar. I don't see the true intrinsic benefit of the instrument having that extended range. Maybe I've just still never seen anyone (including those sample videos) fully exploiting what should be the design benefits.

Greg