Walnut Tele

!WOOD!!

teles020.jpg

This is my newest project.I would call this pretty darn lucky.The board that this is made of was sitting outside my shop for about 15 years.I used it as a ramp into our storage shed for a while as well.When our planer blades are ready for a swap out I run all the crap lumber through it and this board was one of them.From a 2 by 8 by 6 foot I was able to salvage enough for this blank.The picture is of the back;the front is completely clear and beautiful

For the first time ever I am going to pimp a guitar in gold

I plan on using either a standard tele bridge or a Hipshot string through.Pickups are going to be GFS dream white perloid with gold cases.Tuners will hopefully be gold Grovers

For the finish it will probably nitro

Walnut is a beautiful wood to work with.The pictureis of it sanded to 60 grit.Just sanded to 600 and it already shines.It also routes very nicely at slower speeds.Gonna be a heavy guitar but not overly.Should be about the same weight as an LP

Neck is a maple on maple

Looks very good. I like how you trace where your tools should go too.

There is not a tool left of where those outlines were.They were drawn about 15 years ago and I swear if they were drawn this morning you would not find what you were looking for.Last night I used a rivetgun as a hammer because the 5 cheapies I bought last week are MIA.The only tool in our shop that doesn't move is the broom.Sigh

Nice... I´ll be watching this topic because I have some Walnut too and I´m considering of making tele or strat....don´t know yet.... After seeing this it will be harder to decide :D

Tele Tele Tele !!!! There are too many strats to go around.Teles you can bind them;you can cap them;you can relic them and as of late you can make them out of pine and nothing in this world looks better with a Bigsby(SG comes a close second)_I am also making a thinline Tele out of Oak with a Quilted maple cap.tele011.jpg

Nice! Yup Teles Rule. Your axe is looking good. This is the 2nd Tele in progress on the forums here and both are running figured tops, :D Sweet! Keep us posted please. -Vinny

Thats going to be really sweet I like walnut it's different and usually has nice grain.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a picture of the other Tele I am working on.The back has been grainfilled and is almost ready for clearcoat.Waiting on parts for both guitars and the bridge pickup is now going to be be a Humbucker or a P90.So far am happy with the colour.Back came up a little green but looks really nice.bluetele3003.jpg

It's gorgeous! It'll have a warmer sound than maple but not as warm as say, mahogany. Should be a nice change from the standard Tele woods. Leave it natural. I hate it when people paint over wood with beautiful grain. :D

• 2 weeks later...
bluetele4008.jpg Been a while since I have updated this post.The walnut Tele is in it,s first coats of nitro.My Blue Tele is Final coated and hanging ready for assembly.For the blue one I am going Humbucker bridge and a chrome single for the neck.Still not sure if I will be putting a pickguard on yet.Tuners are Wilkinson double lock chrome.The walnut is awaiting it's GFS dream 90 gold with pearl P 90s.Will have gold Grovers if I can afford itThe neck for the blue one is also dyed blue and the walnut gets a natural maple on maple with ebony markers.The blue one started out as a Thinline but just did not want to cut in the F holes so it will stay a highly chambered solidbody

Leave the pick gaurd off! That would be a crime to cover that grain any more then needed, that looks beautiful! Looks like the ocean floor from space!

I've always wondered what a walnut guitar would sound like and that first pic at top really makes me wonder, what you opinions? I always thought it woild have to be tight and heavy sounding. ????

Edited by GUITARGOD

If it's a Tele thread, color me Leo!

BULLPEN-1.jpg

Very cool Tele Drak.Love the Longhorn.One of these 2 guitars are going to make it's way down to my sister in Texas.She would have loved a longhorn (F hole?).What is with all the knobs? Does it have built in effects?

vantage001.jpg

Just some progress pics.Waiting on the cover for the neck pickup.Still have to wire everything up but am almost done..Walnut Tele is on it,s 6th coat and has been level sanded.

Thats lookin sweet! I'd like to know what you used for blue stain/dye? and did you stain black first and sand it back? Thanks. -Vinny

Yes it was dyed black and sanded back.Both were water based(first time I used them).It came out a little darker than I expected but very happy with the result..I sanded through on the back but touching up was easy and very forgiving.Seems a lot easier to use than tinted lacquer .The only problem was the back(oak)turned a little bit green but as a happy accident looks even better.The edge grain of the maple cap almost looks like binding.I almost bound this body but am glad I didn't.Lotsa learning yet. :D

• 3 weeks later...

walnut005.jpg

This is just another progress picture.Has been level sanded after 10 coats of nitro.Tuners are Wilkinson double lock tuners .Pickups are GFS pearl in gold case P90's.Bridge is solid brass also from GFS.Pickups should arrive any day now.I now have all the parts for my blue Tele and should be complete by the end of the weekend.Walnut one goes back to the spraybooth for another round of coats

• 2 months later...