Where Are You?

Vinny

I read these forums daily and come across a lot of members that never filled in their location on the member profile. Personally I think it would help a lot to know where someone is when trying to help them locate a particular tool or luthier supply, as well as knowing that they'll need a measuremnt in mm's or inches. Its no use telling Mickgard just to run down to Home Depot when there arent any near him. (sorry Mick, your name happened to come to mind) Heres another plus: I had noticed in Tom's (Cherokee) profile that he is about an hour from where I am (he listed his town & state), we've talked over the phone and I'll sure to meet up with him some time in the near future to hang and talk guitars. Just my 2 cents. Everybody have a great weekend and keep building! -Vinny

Mods, I realize this may be in the wrong section but I think by posting it here, more people will see it. :D

No kiddin Mick? I apoligize, didnt know Home Depot was there too. -Vinny

Actually, no, Home Depot couldn't make it in France. Most of the big US chains are too afraid to come in--there are some big retail groups here. Carrefour (number two in the world) for one. It'd be pretty much impossible for any foreign big box chain to make it here.

Sunny Melbourne !

Hey - just a thought, maybe I don't use forums enough to know how to do this, but is there a way of searching profiles to find where people are in each country ?

I'd like to PM or email people in Aust to find out specific questions, rather than using the forums directly ?

Sweden...

About inches and mm?...can't everyone just agree to use mm's instead :D

...give me one advantage that using inches and feet has over the SI system.

I use metric exclusively when working on guitars (except scale length). It just makes so much more sense when adding/subtracting.

Funny....scale length is precisely where I use metric. Sure, I think of a scale as '25"', or whatever, but if I'm marking or measuring it out, it's 635mm..

If you build guitars, though, it pays to be fluent in both measuring systems.

I'm in Melbourne, Australia

It's either bloody hot or bloody cold. Usually within the same day.

Metric is the only way to go. Decimalizing the imperial measurement system for finite measurements is just plain confusing. :D

Any one who can guess...

I agree 100% with Mattia. You need to know both metric and imperial measurements.

Fractional inches are even worse. What’s wrong with decimal inches? If everybody would use decimals it would make much more sense. No more measurements like 3/32. Why not make it a perfect 0.1”? (yeah, yeah it isn’t the same length but you get what I mean…)

I think the only problem with decimal inches is that rules laid out in decimal inches aren't all that common. Only machinists rules, I believe. The advantage to imperial measures (base 12) is their divisibility by 2, 3 and 4, neatly, whereas base 10 will only go into 5 and 2 easily. In terms of quick thinking, playing around with ratios and the like without the need for decimals, this makes imperial measures a little easier.

Still, metric's still easier for me to actually use, because, well, decimals don't scare me.

When I first wrote MYOEG the publisher was dead against me using both imperial and metric on the same guitar. I ignored him of course and had ato write a little paragraph explaining why I used both.

Here in the UK we all tend to use both for whatever is easier. We use miles on the road, miles per hour, we put litres of fuel into cars but still think miles per gallon. We buy food in kilos but still think in pounds and most people cook in poounds and ounces. An egg, for example, weighs roughly two ounces - handy in cooking. When I go flying heights are in feet about sea level or airfield level and that transfers over to when I fly in France, the airspace limits around Paris are listed on the French maps in feet. I fly in miles per hour, the GPS reads in knots (both o the airspeed dial) and I buy fuel in litres are estimate fuel burn in litres per hour as the data on the aeroplane is in American gallons per hour and an American gallon is smaller than a UK one (based on a 16oz pint when we have a 20oz pint). In the hardware store I have to buy metric drill bits usually but can still buy imperial bolts and AN stuff.

So for me using both is almost second nature. Scale lengths are easy in metric as Mattia says divide a nut width in imperial and you can get all sorts of problems. Divide a 1 11/16 nut in two to see how much is either side of the centre line and it can be fun do it as 42mm and it is easy, 21mm - even I can do that in my head.

But that is digressing from the original thread. I am in the south of England, about 35 miles south west of London. Workshop about 15 miles away and aeroplane about ten. Guess which one I prefer to go to!?

I am from Dundas Ontario Canada.I use strictly imperial measure.I am a carpenter and the industry has been reluctant to change to metric.All roadsigns and nearly everything else is metric.I agree metric is much easier to use and more accurate but I will stick with what I feel comfortable with.Good to see that the money we have laid down for your book is going to something um practical Mr Hiscocks.Good on you!!

may I suggest a PG frapper map?: http://www.frappr.com/

You add yourself to the map & it shows everyone else who's registered to the same map...useful for finding out where everyone's from & who's nearby. I'm registered on one for users of a piece of 3d software, it's quite a cool little feature. I'd set one up but I think that it would be better if a Mod or Brian did it...what d'ya think.

PS. did you get my email last week Tonemonkey?...your PM's still not working

Hmmm...that wouldn't be you buzzing my house now, would it?

Quite possibly, it all depends on where your house is!

France...between Poitiers and La Rochelle...

Wouldn't be the first time the Brits flew over my house (no foolin--during the war, there was a pretty massive bombing raid on the railroad on the opposite face of the valley).

Oh yeah: location of my office: about five meters from my house...