Pickup Suggestions?

Drak

Hey all.

I have in the spray booth (meaning hanging from a tree branch!) right now an old guitar I bought many many moons ago. It's a Kramer from the '80's.

It came stock w/ a bridge-only HB and a Floyd.

I've taken some uhhh, 'liberties' with it, and added a neck HB route.

So, I think it's going to be a challenge to find some HB's that will sound great in this thing (solid 1-piece Maple body, Floyd equipped)

Talk about no bottom end, does it get any worse? :D

I'm taking suggestions on this one...

Funny you mention the JB, that's what came in it factory, I still have it...

The 85's not a bad idea, I have a spare lying about, you think 2 85's maybe, or 85/81?

I've never used an 81 although I have an 85 in another guitar in the bridge...

i think 85/85...the 81 is thin and cutting,which with maple may be too high endy

A lot of people think it's odd having the same pickup in both positions. I have 2 81s in my KH2 and they both sound amazing. You wouldn't think it would be that distinguishable but it is. Try the 2 85s, it should sound great.

This might be a good time to try some Lace Sensor 'Dually's'.

A guy on another forum is getting amazing overdriven tones with his LS Hot Golds, I have a set of those already, and a guitar (hanging/drying now) to put them in.

But he also swears by these 'duallys' (HB's) too.

Lace Sensors (I think) got a rather bad rap when they were put on Fender guitars, but they are starting to turn the tide, I've read a LOT of really good things about a few of their models in the past year.

And they're pretty affordable.

PS, I just shot the finish coats on this guitar yesterday, and JEESUS, it came out WAY better than I expected, I'm LOVIN' it! :D

Each guitar I learn a little more about finish coats, toners, 'bursts, shading, etc...

I've added a technique I saw Bob Benedetto use on his archtop (from his video series) when he was demonstrating shooting his finishes. It's paying off.

• 4 weeks later...
This might be a good time to try some Lace Sensor 'Dually's'.

A guy on another forum is getting amazing overdriven tones with his LS Hot Golds, I have a set of those already, and a guitar (hanging/drying now) to put them in.

But he also swears by these 'duallys' (HB's) too.

Lace Sensors (I think) got a rather bad rap when they were put on Fender guitars, but they are starting to turn the tide, I've read a LOT of really good things about a few of their models in the past year.

And they're pretty affordable.

PS, I just shot the finish coats on this guitar yesterday, and JEESUS, it came out WAY better than I expected, I'm LOVIN' it! :D

Each guitar I learn a little more about finish coats, toners, 'bursts, shading, etc...

I've added a technique I saw Bob Benedetto use on his archtop (from his video series) when he was demonstrating shooting his finishes. It's paying off.

pics?

since the guitar is anorexic. i think you should put a high calorie pick up in it. i suggest the emg 85, it was the true inspiration for queen's classic fat bottom girls.

and for the neck you could put an 89, then if the little twang monster bites you, you could have a single coil tone also. besides, it's a maple guitar, and probably not your number one anyway, just let the skinny bitch eat!!

:D EMG 85/89 B)