Hello everybody!

This is my first post (and probably the last for a long time ahead) in this forum B) I believe that most of the questions that I might have, were already posted so I would just search and read.

I am really new to building guitars, although I have had the desire for doing it for a long time. I am also not going to be able to do anything to a guitar (or piece of wood) in the next year (or two) because of my current location or occupation. Although I have a guitar that I would like to 'rebuild', by converting it to a really nice nice thing but I think, that it would be better for me to gather a lot of knowledge before I start doing it, so that I do not mess things up and also think, that if I start without any know-how, I am going t be too much 'oh my god, this is so exciting' and again - mess up! :D Still, I do know, that the best way to learn something is practice....

I play the guitar for 5 years now, myself is actually 20. I am a bulgarian (that is in Europe :D ) but I live in Germany for two years now. I hope that I can learn a lot from you guys (and girls), I have been browsing around for a while and I have seen magnificient builds.

Well, that is everything that I can think of right now.

See you around!

:D

Wilkommen! (Sorry, I don't know any Bulgarian, so German will have to do!)

Sounds like you have a great attitude towards learning how to build. I myself researched for a little over a year before I took the plunge and started my first build (I had only been playing for 3 years at that point, too). That's been 4 years ago, and I'm itching to start another build.

Anyway, I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but read absolutely as much as you can!

And welcome to the forum!

G'Day Fenix, My advice is act on your enthusiasm for guitar building and go for it. Don't worry about stuffing up, many of us do it. In fact a lot of readers like hearing about the stuff ups and helping with advice about how to fix the problem. So whip out the power tools, you could end up with something cool like this,

final2.jpg

from

A Les Paul Supreme ...

at worst you may have to chuck your project and start again.

You can make a cheap guitar body blank by gluing three pieces of hardwood to a rectangle of medium density fibreboard (MDF) screw the boards down around the edges to the MDF until the glue dries, then cut and carve. Repeat until you get it right then buy a really schmick piece of wood and get busy.

Good luck, I'll look forward to hearing about your challenges and successes, cheers, Muzz.

^This one looks nice

Thanks for the welcome everybody.

I do know that the best way to learn it is to try it but I am restrained to having absolutley no space to do it (I live on campus and the only place to do something is my own room) and the fact that here I do not have any, I mean not a single piece of tools (I don't even have a hammer!) and I do need a lot. I also consider moving in about 1 year's time (graduating bachelor and going off for master) and transportation of any machines, tools and stuff will be really a major issue. Besides I do have to buy everything right now. Back home however, the situation is completely different :D

This is why I will stick for now with :D and B) .

Other than that I hope that I will build one day a JS-style guitar with a chromeboy finish (I have accidentaly found a firm in Germany, that really can and has done 'chrome painting' and it looks really really good. But there is a lot of time before that time comes...

So, see ya around!

Every time someone comes in, it's like an AA meeting.

My name is Ryan and...I'm a luthierie addict.

LMAO!!!!!

:D))))))))

Hi I'm Mike and Im addicted to wood!!!! All Kinds, but maple really suits me. I would love it if???????????????????? I could do something!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!! MAN WEAP YOU ARE SO RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!! Funny how we are?

MK

BTW FENIX, Welcome, I was not trying to make light of your joining. Again Welcome!!! Hope yur stay is enjoyable.

MK

Edited by MiKro

LMAO!!!!!

B)))))))))

Hi I'm Mike and Im addicted to wood!!!! All Kinds, but maple really suits me. I would love it if???????????????????? I could do something!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!! MAN WEAP YOU ARE SO RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!! Funny how we are?

MK

BTW FENIX, Welcome, I was not trying to make light of your joining. Again Welcome!!! Hope yur stay is enjoyable.

MK

Dang mikro, you've been hanging out with too many teenagers on the internet. :D

LMAO!!!!!

:D))))))))

MK

MK

Dang mikro, you've been hanging out with too many teenagers on the internet. B)

Either that or shopping for wood makes him feel like a kid in a candy store! I know it does me, I would much rather walk through a wood shop than any other type of store including tool stores. I guess in that sense I can in some way relate to many the women I've known that can't help themselves while shopping. If you disagree, try walking past something like a beautiful piece of curly maple that is 1/2 off the price and tell me you could walk away. If you can walk away find another hobby, jk lol.

On a side note

My parents have a condo in Maui and they were telling me about how they might put a new staircase in. They told me the stairs were solid Koa and after showing them tons of pics, they believe they are figured(as in flame). I told them no problem pulling the staircase out, but you must bring each and every stair back to me. I'll sell off half and keep the rest for guitars. I asked over and over if they could just be veneers, but they are almost certain they are solid as this was a big point that the sellers used and the guy who owned it before them put the staircase in. Who knows though. If by chance the stairs are solid Koa and they take it down, I promise you guys first dibs on the stuff. I just want a few stairs for myself. Not sure but I believe each stair is a good 3-4 inches thick and well over the length of a guitar. I told them if all that is true they have an extremely valuable staircase. Just had to mention that as I was kinda excited about it, won't be for a while, but if it's true :D and my method of payment within the luthiery community will change from dollars to stairs of koa.

Either that or shopping for wood makes him feel like a kid in a candy store! I know it does me, I would much rather walk through a wood shop than any other type of store including tool stores. I guess in that sense I can in some way relate to many the women I've known that can't help themselves while shopping. If you disagree, try walking past something like a beautiful piece of curly maple that is 1/2 off the price and tell me you could walk away. If you can walk away find another hobby, jk lol.

On a side note

My parents have a condo in Maui and they were telling me about how they might put a new staircase in. They told me the stairs were solid Koa and after showing them tons of pics, they believe they are figured(as in flame). I told them no problem pulling the staircase out, but you must bring each and every stair back to me. I'll sell off half and keep the rest for guitars. I asked over and over if they could just be veneers, but they are almost certain they are solid as this was a big point that the sellers used and the guy who owned it before them put the staircase in. Who knows though. If by chance the stairs are solid Koa and they take it down, I promise you guys first dibs on the stuff. I just want a few stairs for myself. Not sure but I believe each stair is a good 3-4 inches thick and well over the length of a guitar. I told them if all that is true they have an extremely valuable staircase. Just had to mention that as I was kinda excited about it, won't be for a while, but if it's true :D and my method of payment within the luthiery community will change from dollars to stairs of koa.

That sounds awesome! I can't wait to see what you can get your hands on.

Welcome aboard Fenix! I think we're like reverse-AA though. Instead of stopping the addiction, we just make it worse! B)

CMA

• 2 weeks later...
Ха привет, приятелю Феникс.

Приятно ми е да те срещна и в този форум...(другият е forum.muzikant) B)

А добър ден! Явно бордът има кирилица. :D Сетих се кой е другия, трябва пак да пратиш онази песнчика, че нали ми крашна харда :D

@tim_ado

None of these

Thanks to everyone else for the welcome. Only the part about hanging out with teenagers on the internet was kinda wierd...

and for the curious ones, the reply above says:

'Hello to you too! Obviously the board has cyrilic B) Yes, we do know each other from the other one' (the other forum)

... at least that is what you need to know :D

@alexthegreat There are some other people from the other forum that are lurking around, I am sure. I just have not found them yet...

Edited by Fenix