Prs Style Guitar

Hello guys,

I completed my last project: a PRS style guitar.

With this project I would create a replica of a PRS. I was faced with several challanges: I started from blank piece of paper and re-designed all. I have to thank my friend and collegue Lorenzo Sommaruga because he suggested me to build something challanging: only in this way you can learn something new.

Here some pictures:

CRW_1583_RJ%20(Large).JPG

pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

On my website (http://www.power-development.net) under the section "The Building Process" / SC-SetNeck, you can find some pictures of the building process.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the specifications:

Body

· Solid body

· Mahogany body with flamed maple top

· Finish: flamed royal blue

Neck

· Angled headstock

· Flamed Maple

· Wide fat contour

· Indian rosewood fret board

· Tree-of-life inlay (epoxy inlay)

· Set-Neck

Pickups

· PRS Dragon Pickups

Wiring

· 5-way rotary switch

Thank you all for your posts! :-)

I hope the images are not a problem, they resides on my website.

Anyway, the staining process was very simple: I applied only a coat of a water base stain then I wiped with a damp cloth (I did this because the final color was a little too dark).

Some people suggest to sand the first coat and to apply the stain again, this enphasize the flame. Another way to emphasize the flame is to apply first black stain, sand and then apply the final color. I, personally, prefer applying only one coat of stain without sanding: in this way the wood looks 3D, in few words, depending on the light angle, the pattern varies and the maple seams alive (the main problem is that to see this effect when you apply the sanding sealer).

I hope this will help, if not, don't hesitate to ask me again.

Thank you all again :-)

Well dude, that is a beautiful guitar! :D I´m going to make something like that, but with tremolo and emerald green colour. I hope it will be nice like your one! B)

I'm sure you will do a nice work :D ! Let me know when will you start your project, I'm interested in it.

Thank you all for your posts! :-)

I hope the images are not a problem, they resides on my website.

Anyway, the staining process was very simple: I applied only a coat of a water base stain then I wiped with a damp cloth (I did this because the final color was a little too dark).

Some people suggest to sand the first coat and to apply the stain again, this enphasize the flame. Another way to emphasize the flame is to apply first black stain, sand and then apply the final color. I, personally, prefer applying only one coat of stain without sanding: in this way the wood looks 3D, in few words, depending on the light angle, the pattern varies and the maple seams alive (the main problem is that to see this effect when you apply the sanding sealer).

I hope this will help, if not, don't hesitate to ask me again.

Thank you all again :-)

great job! that one looks beautiful. what kind of nut is that?

Well dude, that is a beautiful guitar! :D I´m going to make something like that, but with tremolo and emerald green colour. I hope it will be nice like your one! B)

I'm sure you will do a nice work :D ! Let me know when will you start your project, I'm interested in it.

Don´t be afraid, I will make new topic... I´m not sure when I will begin building, because I have no money for now but there´s some wood for me for free :D I´ll try cut the body and neck on CNC machine, but I have some problems with planing the carve top... My prs body will be made out of walnut/maple same as neck - walnut/maple laminates...

Nice Guitar. Very pretty =)

I got a question though: You said that neck was a bolt-on? AND it's angled?

How did you manage that?

To angle a bolt on neck you either need to:

A. angle the neck pocket

B. Angle the heel

C. do a bit of both

i prefer to angle the pocket

I would like to know where the bolts for this neck are hidden - it looks just like a set-neck from the back.

Nice work!!

Hello,

I used a nitro based sanding sealer. I brushed 5 coats and then I level sanded.

I didn't use anything on the maple before staining, I only sanded it.

cool, thx capu, sorry to be a pain again=D

But what type of seal did you use (sanding sealer?) and how many coats?:D

o, and did you use anythink on the maple before to stained it?

thankyou.

It took me about 2 months.

I angled the neck heel. To determine the angle I put the bridge at the desired height plus at least 7mm and at the correct distance (based on the scale length). Based on this, you can determine the angle.

At that point I put the neck on the table and I put a piece of wood near the nut to rise it to reach the correct angle. Then I fixed the piece of wood with a tape.

I fixed the neck.

Then I routed.

Here some pictures:

First

Second

Third

Fourth

Fifth

Sixth

It is very important to put the bridge at an height of at least 7mm higher than the expected one because when you angle the neck with the router you reduce the heel height. In addition to this you need to rout the neck pocket considering this so, you need to rout the pocket 7mm less deep.

I hope this quick explaination will help. Please let me know if something is not clear or if you have a better technique.

capu vary nice work.

tell us howe long have you benn building.

what angle did you use on the neck pocket to go with the wrap around bridge.

was it on the neck pock or on the neck heel.

Sorry, this is the classical "Copy&paste" problem.

The neck is set neck and not bolt-on, sorry.

I also built a angled bolt on (I called it SC-Curved).

Here is the picture:

13.jpg

The process is the same as a glued neck but the difference is that you bolt it. I decided to angle it because I used a wraparound bridge. In the picture you can see a Wilkinson bridge, I replaced it with a Badass and, due to the fact it is higher than the Wilkinson's one, I had to angle the neck heel.

If you have any question, don't hesistate post it ;-)

Nice Guitar. Very pretty =)

I got a question though: You said that neck was a bolt-on? AND it's angled?

How did you manage that?

As I wrote before, there was a "copy&paste" problem: this guitar has a set-neck and not a bolt-on.

Anyway, it is possible to have a "bolt-on" neck that seams a set-neck: I read it on Martin Koch's book.

Here is a link to the book details:

http://buildyourguitar.com/books/beg/index.asp

I never did a test but it seams that it can work.

;-)

To angle a bolt on neck you either need to:

A. angle the neck pocket

B. Angle the heel

C. do a bit of both

i prefer to angle the pocket

I would like to know where the bolts for this neck are hidden - it looks just like a set-neck from the back.

Nice work!!