Wenge/zebrano Eight-string Guitar

Wow, looking amazing friend! I really like all the different pieces, the whole combo works very well. The whole scarf area looks very cool, all the veneers/lams really add to the look. Strangely, even with the very distinct grain lines of the wenge, the scarf seems fairly invisable from a glance at a distance and when you see it up close it looks very interesting because of all the veneers and lams around it. I dunno, it looks great all around to me. Very nice stuff! Please do get some more pics of the updates when you can. J

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will do. Not much else is going to be done to the neck apart from fine finish sanding after i'm done the fret bevel, level and dress. Perhaps cutting the nut, but i'd prefer to leave that till string-up time. The body will be started in a couple of weeks as I have some gigs coming up to practice and prepare for (and play) plus other work commitments. By that time I should have the body and neck blanks for the other eight-string and the seven-string....

• 1 month later...

Great looking build man!!! me I have a love hate thing with wenge its a very nice looking wood but its a pain in the ass to work with, have you come up with a body design for this build yet

wow, finally one thread about an 8th string that delivered!!! And not full of CAD drawings!

and hey man my 8-string is in full swing :D

IMG_1821.jpg

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

• 1 month later...

Boing. Body blank made out of four pieces of 19mm thick wenge with a dyed black poplar veneer sandwiched between. That should excite the glue witch hunters. Cut a tummy contour, forearm contour and JEM style rear swoopy thing. Did pickup cavity. Can't describe much more. It's not exciting, really.

Oh, will have photos once my wife and I return from our wedding anniversary holiday in Paris. Drinking lots at metal bars and going to see Jim again. Must pee up national monuments, as is expected.

Bye bye for now. Don't get too excited, or burn any guitars while my back is turned. I'll probably check to see you're all behaving in "cafe" somewhere.

\m/ Carl \m/

PS. If I don't post within a week, i've either been arrested, died of alcohol poisoning or moved to Thailand. Really.

• 3 weeks later...

Update, jumalauta!!

Temporary nut for the moment, I need to do a lot more finish sanding on the body, level and dress the frets and fret ends, but everything lines up perfectly. Need to pop springs under the pickup screws as it's currently locked down to the body with a gap of 6mm-8mm which i'm sure I can reduce! Jack socket needs routing in (side jack, Strat-style bent to the edge contour). If I feel saucy enough, I reckon I can drop in a couple of extra frets too :-D

The string gauges are .065, .054, .042, .032, .024, .016, .011, .009 however I may increase the F# and B string gauges to .66/.68 and .56 respectively to maintain tension and tonality, or just go the whole hog and increase the "standard 6" to a .010 set and go for the .68 and .56 on the lower register....best get the instrument dressed and polished first before I go there!

wengezeb8_18.jpg

Edited by Prostheta

Not too sure what type of finish you are going for on that wenge but get ready to apply apply apply! It's gonna soak up everything you can throw at it! I used a ton of nitro on the last wenge top I did before I could level it out!

I'd never have a need for an 8-string guitar but it looks really nice! I love the Laminates on the neck! The zebra looks killer.

It's just an RG with more "organically flowing" contouring really so no credit can be taken for the design aspect other than a bit of math and modification. The contouring was inspired by Batfink's Nocturne NC1-KD. The flash on my camera really makes it look rough as hell though :-\

The body colour should darken nicely with a good Tru-oiling.

I'm kind of wondering what material to use for the nut however....i'm not looking forward to machining a lump of brass to fit as I don't have the gear to do so :-( or is that patience?

A black CA grainfill should close up the pores nicely and should save on the Tru-oil, Zyon! Again, patience might be my enemy on that one as it's pain to sand back....

It's a Hipshot bridge. Not overly expensive and good quality for the price! The only option is string-through body however but that's no big deal. The D'Addario EXLs i've strung it up with had enough length for the 30" scale even on the A and D strings.

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=...t_list&c=19

The grain on the Wenge looks crazy, pretty cool! I'll be stringing my 6-stringer up with .080" - .019" gauge strings from F# - G, I can't grasp the p4 / major 3rd tuning on guitar, I've been playing bass too long! Keep me up to date on the tension / feel of the 30" scale, I'd love to try that on a guitar.

Carl, the guitar looks amazing!

The contouring on the horns it's very nice and the body wood has a nice grain.

The only thing that I see it's that the bass string it's almost on the end of the fretboard. Or maybe it's an effect from the picture.

Edited by PTU 7's.

After sorting the intonation out and playing for a while at pitch, I think the F# string could do with being a .066, but the B string seems fine. I'll probably try a slightly heavier gauge for the B anyway so-I-know but it holds pitch extremely well, intonates fine and overall it's a damn fine fixed bridge instrument!

I was worried about the tension being too low over a 30" scale, after all the F# string is pretty much a D on a standard bass set tuned one step up from the E on a bass....it works though! It's a different feel to a bass for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Structure and geometry complete. String path straight and true and action good. Very pleased! Going to disassemble and finish sand the body before a nice thick sealing coat of Tru-oil goes on, and a few thin coats get wooled in afterwards.....

wengezeb8_19.jpg

Edited by Prostheta

Carl, the guitar looks amazing!

The contouring on the horns it's very nice and the body wood has a nice grain.

The only thing that I see it's that the bass string it's almost on the end of the fretboard. Or maybe it's an effect from the picture.

It does run a little close to the fret bevelling when you get to the upper registers, but not enough to create playability problems.

Surprisingly well considering I have only given it a basic fret levelling. The gauge of the F# string (currently 0.064, soon to be trying out a 0.066 and 0.068) isn't too heavy to play and the string spacing is surprisingly easy to fret and to pick on. In fact, I would go as far as to say it's very easy! I was practicing four-string skipping and broken arpeggiation and after a short honeymoon period it was down top a tee.

Anyway - as mentioned, i'm going to spend more time finessing the frets and actions etc. once we move house at the end of this month as I won't have a woodshop then. It'll be a case of a large fluffy towel, files, wire wool and masking tape on the dining table etc. In the meantime, I have the biohazard eight-string to build as this was technically just the prototype....that's going to be a speed build! :-D

Wow!

I really like it