Shop Space, Possible Finishing Position

Myka Guitars

I have been thinking of ways to utilize my new shop and have come up with a few ideas. I wanted to post this here on the forum to get some ideas from like minded people. I am also looking for some possible collaborations with other members in the Seattle/Portland/NW area. So please feel free to get in touch with me about any of this.

I am considering sharing the shop space I have with another builder. Currently I have 800sqft with a separate spray booth. There are plenty of tools with room for more if needed. What I have now: 8" jointer, 2 14" bandsaws, 2 drill presses, duplicarver, router table(s), spindle sander, scroll saw, chop saw, thickness sander, plenty of power tools, and an adaptable dust collection system. There is plenty of light and bench space available for most projects. I am not exactly certain that I want to do but if I can find the right person it may work out great. I just have more space than I need and the tools are not running all the time. It makes sense to share this open and creative space with someone who can really get creative in it. Ideally this would be with another guitar builder but I am not opposed to someone doing other creative woodworking projects. Absolutely no hobbyists please. If I were to do this it would be with another artisan who has work they are actively pursuing on their own.

I am also looking for is a competent spray finisher. I have been quite busy lately and I find that I enjoy the woodworking aspect of what I do best so I am considering finding someone who can take over the lacquer finishing. My goal is to find someone as intense about finishing as I am about guitar making and who can take it to the same level as I do. I would prefer to find someone who can work in my shop so that I do not need to ship anything anywhere. I have a compressor and a turbine driven HVLP system and can purchase whatever else we need. I am not necessarily looking to train anyone but I would consider it with the right person. Working closely with the client during the finishing phase would be necessary in order to give them what they want. I run an active highly creative shop and want to work with someone who has their own motivations and who can put their own ideas into this. This could very easily expand into something more as well. I am open to exploring ideas with people on this.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

~David

Damn, that would be a scary combo David and Russ! I don't even want to know what kind of crazy things would come out of that. Best of luck to the both of ya and for the sake of luthiers everywhere, try to always work separately, please!. J

Edit: Had to change the Myka to David, lol I'm so used to the screen name thats what always comes to mind first, especially since its a cool name anyway, lol. Anyhow, yeah wicked combo even without names. J

Edited by jmrentis

Damn, if only this came a week earlier and I was living on the opposite side of the country...

...although, I wouldn't be opposed to relocating for such an opportunity to have a shop space... still, my new lutherie job here in New Jersey awaits!

Damn, if only you were based near me in the UK & wanted to share with a digital artist who would like to make guitars in his lunch break...that would be just perfect. :D

...just wanted to be part of the "I'm not applicable but I want to post a reply with Damn!" crowd. :D

So I'm out in the garage working on my own finishing proj, sanding down all the little shiny dots, when it occurs to me....

"Man...wouldn't that be something if David and Jeremy joined forces!" says I.

"You can say that again" I replied.

Great airbrush and overall finishing skills, very complimentary tastes in guitars, and now he's practically your neighbor David. And...he's got to be the most red, white & blue guy in all of Canada. I wonder if he's just looking for the right opportunity to jump the border.

Ring him up! :D

So I'm out in the garage working on my own finishing proj, sanding down all the little shiny dots, when it occurs to me....

Great airbrush and overall finishing skills, very complimentary tastes in guitars, and now he's practically your neighbor David. And...he's got to be the most red, white & blue guy in all of Canada. I wonder if he's just looking for the right opportunity to jump the border.

Thats exactly what I was thinking!

LGM and Myka. Lookout world!

Its good to know I am not the only one that talks to myself in the shop and answers myself

Darn David, I wish I was closer to retire!!!, but I got 3 years left in this contract, and that is to retire with the National Guard benefits, to do Active I got to do 10 more! I know that I share about the same vision when it comes to finish, since it was you the one that mentor me for my first stained built. I hope you find someone suitable!!!

Constantine, yeah, I am in Seattle now. I have a new shop in the Georgetown area south of downtown. If you ever move to Seattle let me know!

I have had some interest (thank you all) but nothing definite yet. I will certainly keep everyone posted on what happens with this.

~David