Sharkfin

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Looking good Rick!

Had a look at your other progress pics as well; the beauty of this guitar seems to be in the little details, like the electronics cavity at the back, the two tone fret board, etc.

Though a question; How is the balance of the guitar at this point? Where will you place the strap button at the front of the body?

Edited by tim290280

Nice as always, Rick :D

Had a question, though. What size was the bit you used to do the bridge recess? I've got the forstner post holes drilled for my TOM/tail setup, but the channel connecting the two is just a hair larger than my template bit. How'd you get yours so nice? I think I'll have to make a template like you did, except it'll have to be an inch thick because the blade on my template bit is so tall. Sigh.

Looks snazzy, though, I can't wait to see it completed. Where are you putting the pickup switch, the traditional LP way?

And from the looks of it, those pickups are sitting pretty proud. Direct mount? I'm glad I didn't want to direct mount mine, that StewMac template leaves a TON of wiggle room.

Tim, I intend (so far) to put the strap buttons in the usual positions. Should balance fine. If it ends up that the button being on the end of the bass side horn puts it too close to the side of the neck, I'll either recess it a bit, or find another place for it.

Xanthus, I used a half inch cutting diameter template following bit with a cutting depth of one inch. (I had to make the template an inch and a half thick.) The route is just a hair wider than a half inch: maybe 17/32". I just had to be very careful to position the router so that the bit wasn't touching anything when I started the router, and to hang on tight to it so that it didn't move when I turned it on. (It helps that my router has a soft gradual start feature.)

The template I used was the fourth one I made. Took a while to get it perfect. :D

The pickup cavities need to be taken down another 1/16" or so. I'll be direct mounting the pickups. I cut the pickup cavities smaller than the average humbucker cavity; just big enough to fit the DiMarzios. The one thing that bothers me about direct mounting them is that they have brass-looking baseplates and all the rest of the hardware is black. I'm thinking I might be able to hit the baseplates with some black somehow.

Edited by Rick500

• 1 month later...

Nice Rick, that is going to look killer, it actually already does! I had to take a second look at the route before I could see the idea, but I see it now! You can see the little outshoots to support the cover and add magnets/screws and the other little indentation which leaves room for the volume pot. And you managed all that and still got the shark fin shape, nice work! I can't wait to see how it finishes, its going to look great. Keep the progress pics coming, this is a cool project. J

Thanks, guys.

Kenny-- to get the circular routes for the pickup switch cavity, I used a really big Forstner bit (2 1/8" I think) to cut the smaller diameter (inner) hole about 1/4" deep, then I used the walls of the hole as a template for the router and routed the hole to depth. Then, with a slightly larger Forstner bit, I made a template for the larger diameter hole, and used the template to route it on the body.

Here's the jig I made to cut a cover of exactly the right diameter:

circle_cover_jig_2.jpg

I just thickness sanded some black limba left over from the neck, and stuck a piece to the turntable on the jig, then took it to the router table and rotated the stock on the turntable (with a bearing bit; the bearing resting against the edge of the base of the jig) to cut the cover.

As for the control cavity, I haven't cut the ledge for the cover yet; the weird shape is a sharkfin shape with tabs for screws. :D

Edited by Rick500

i didnt see it at first :-p i feel silly :-p

yea, i have something like 100 bits, and i sued the bearing bits to do the majority of my shaping

but i cant figure out how to use them on templates :-p haha *unless your routing from below.*

and yes, i hvae no wood working experiance;)

edit: never mind :-p it took a quick search to find out that my bits...are on the bottom end of the bit and tahts why :-p, i knew i wasnt stupid..just slow!

Edited by Kenny

They make forstners larger than 2-1/8"???

:D :D

Damn. Know how there are just some bits that you don't feel safe putting in a drill press? hahaha

In other news, I like the color you're getting out of that mahog, even if it is just naptha. What's your oiling procedure going to be like?

I've been experimenting on scrap mahogany from the body blank. I think I've settled on:

Sand (180, 220, 320, 400)

Apply one coat of Tru-oil, as much as the wood will absorb, wipe away excess, let dry 24 hours

Wet sand with Tru-oil and 400 grit wet/dry paper, wipe away excess across the grain, let dry 24 hours

Repeat wet sanding until pores are filled

Apply finish coats, leveling with mineral spirits and 400 grit paper between coats

Wax and buff

It's looking great, Rick! I dig the design, and the wood choices are going to look really great when it's all finished up! I REALLY like how you were able to get that little bit of coloring in the heel part of the Limba neck. To me, half the fun of designing is seeing a piece of wood and finding a way to let nature help you along in the design process. :D

To me, half the fun of designing is seeing a piece of wood and finding a way to let nature help you along in the design process. B)

Yeah, me too. I try to get every last little piece of cool grain pattern and color that I can, into the guitar. :D

Got the control cover cavities and covers finished today. No more routing on this guitar. :D

That's black limba from the same piece as the limba in the neck.

covers_installed.jpg