Glass guitars....

You know the guitars that you can see through, like the geezer out the Foo Fighters, what the hell are they made from?

Casting resin? Perspex? Glass? Thin air? :D

Never had chance to see one (if you know what I mean) and I'm curious.

Have any of you made one? I'm sure one of you has!

The guitar that Dave Grohl (of Foo Fighters Fame) uses has a green perspex body. from what ive heard they sound ok but they are really just for good looks since the tone isnt that wonderful

I used to have a perspex Aria Legend solid electric guitar, based loosely on the stylings of the now legendary Fender Jazzmaster guitar. It had two powerful humbucking pickups, 1 volume, 1 tone and 3-way pickup selector, a 22-fret neck with rosewood fingerboard, and body and headstock made from clear perspex making it look ultra cool. The perspex headstock was scarfed onto a wooden neck (which looked like maple) and the joint was absolutely seamless.

I certainly had no complaints about the tone. Indeed, the perspex body gave the guitar quite incredible sustain, although I did wonder about how the "swimming pool" pickup cavity - surely, the sustain would have been better individual cavities had been routed for each pickup? Only problem here would be that it'd have been even heavier. The beast weighed a ton as it was!

plexiguitar.jpg

i only have one question:

why?

they don't look good, they're heavy as f*ck, and they don't sound any better than a wood guitar. so we have 2 cons and one neutral...is there any point? is it cheaper? is it keeping our endangered trees protected from the evil woodworking companies like fender, gibson, prs, ibanez?

i just don't like them, to be frank. sorry if i am out of place here...

they don't look good, they're heavy as f*ck, and they don't sound any better than a wood guitar. so we have 2 cons and one neutral...is there any point?

"They don't look good" ... well that's a matter of opinion. I personally dislike Stratocasters, but that's my opinion.

"they're heavy as f*ck" ... yeah, so is a Les Paul.

"they don't sound any better than a wood guitar" ... my Aria pictured above sounded better than the Strat I used to have (and the dealer I sold THAT to said it was the best sounding Strat he'd ever played).

Yeah, it all boils down to personal taste. Me, I think they are well cool.

I don't know if they sounded good or not, but the original Dan Armstrong Lucites definitely had a unique sound! You either loved 'em or hated 'em, but they were absolutley inimitable. Very cool slide guitar, especially open-tuned, but they had to be your second axe cuz there's no way you could play one for more than one or two songs, they were just too heavy.

whoah those guitars are cool! Coming from an art background and a family that has an art background I appreciate the art of those guitars. Not sure what they sound like, but they look cool.

They do look really cool. I want to buy one and hang it on my wall. They actually sound, and play great. They had a booth at a guitar show, and I tried them out. The mahogany back is responsible for the great sound. He uses rosewood necks with a tung oil finish - this was the best feeling neck I ever felt.

-Sven

Anyone seen these?

http://www.totemguitars.com/archive.html

-Sven

"G0013 Weathersquare" looks incredible! There's some really cool stuff there.

The web site doesn't explain this very well - The bodies are actually 3D objects cast in resin on a mahogany back.

Sorry to get so far off topic here, but these are the basses made by the same guy:

http://www.spaltbasses.com/

And these are his conventional guitars:

http://www.garageguitars.com/sandshome.html

They are chambered construction with a deep penetrating tung oil finish.

-Sven