More Ways To Remove A Set Neck

being the idiot i am, i glued in a set neck before i drilled the hole from the neck pocket to the pickups. the only way i can get that hole drilled is to remove the neck. i have tried steaming for 2 hours, and can just barled get a blade into one side. but its not getting any further, and now its starting to soften the glue holding the fretboard on. it wont even budge! please help! i cant think of any other way to get it out.

Only works if you live in a hot part of the country...

Go to the StewMac website, check out their neck removal jig for acoustic guitars, then run out to the Depot and drop $20 on the stuff to make your own. Set it up on your guitar, crank up the pressure on the neck heel, then take it to work and let it sit inside your car which is parked in direct sunlight on a hot day (roll back the shade on your sunroof if you have one...). Every couple of hours go out and increase the pressure. When it's time to go home, your neck will be mostly off.

Unless you used epoxy...then the only solution is to bandsaw it off and start again.

i would take this lil setback as a chance to do something different;

ive done that before; and the bass was finished getting ready for wiring when i noticed;

get an extra long drill bit 12" at least, and connect the cavity by drlling across and on a slight angle thru the pickup

its sometimes a little scary but the drill wil stay straight if you pump it in and out of the hole to get rid of the shavings;

and put a lot of paper or something wher the drill might bumpwhen your drilling such a sharp angle;

not the most relaxing job to do, but it beats possibly destroying a neck and neck pocket undoing something youve already done correctly!

i would take this lil setback as a chance to do something different;

ive done that before; and the bass was finished getting ready for wiring when i noticed;

get an extra long drill bit 12" at least, and connect the cavity by drlling across and on a slight angle thru the pickup

its sometimes a little scary but the drill wil stay straight if you pump it in and out of the hole to get rid of the shavings;

and put a lot of paper or something wher the drill might bumpwhen your drilling such a sharp angle;

not the most relaxing job to do, but it beats possibly destroying a neck and neck pocket undoing something youve already done correctly!

Excellent advice, that's how i do it with neck though guitars.

Unless you used epoxy...then the only solution is to bandsaw it off and start again.

Gah - no!

Epoxy is every bit as heat sensitivew as white and yellow aliphatic glues. An epoxied neck joint will be fiddly because it's more moisture resistant than white glue, but it'll release under heat just as well.

I just got myself some west systems with the little pump set and life is good, so much better than anything else I've used especially for guitar building, it's much thinner than all regular epoxyies I've tried and I found it at Rockler, so no shipping. Wasn't sure which hardener to go with, so I ended up with the 206 I believe, which is slower setting than the 205.

Anyhow, once I heard the epoxy myth foiled a little while back, I wanted to start using it more for certain things.